OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yea. I've seen a video of how fast she was going. A neighbor's doorbell camera shows her speeding down a residential street and you can hear the crash.

She suffered from severe burns from crashing into the home. She nearly killed a woman and her dogs, who were inside the house. But the home owner lost a lot of things that were personal and sentimental as a result.

In fact, Heche had another accident before this. But she fled the scene of the first crash before she ended up crashing into the house.

I don't feel any sympathy for Heche here.
As if that weren’t shocking enough, now this:

With the Chapelle incident not that long ago (where an audience member rushed Chapelle on stage during a show but his security people obliterated the assailant), you would think that someone like Rushdie would have taken the hint to demand better security.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As. If that weren’t shocking enough, now this:

With the Chapelle incident not that long ago (where an audience member rushed Chapelle on stage during a show but his security people obliterated the asssilant), you would think that someone like Rushdie would have taken the hint to demand better security.

Yea I just saw that, too. For someone who has received death threats and has been the target of fatwas for decades, you'd think he'd have a better security.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Harsh take @Adam Michaels, I do not agree.

Addicts are sick people and need help to get better. Human life trumps almost all in my eyes. It's a sad story regardless how you look at it.

I met her a long time ago in Belgium of all places. Met as in ran into her. I was getting out of a cab and going into a grocery store and she was coming out. I knew it was her, I've been following her on and off since I was a teen.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
One of my all time favourites. Not recent, but good. It's a Welsh show, so might need to watch with CC - the accent is very thick at times.

This is a dark show. It wont make you feel good about yourself, but darkness blends well with Welsh landscapes - beautiful but not welcoming.

I'll give it a whirl, thanks

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Harsh take @Adam Michaels, I do not agree.

Addicts are sick people and need help to get better. Human life trumps almost all in my eyes. It's a sad story regardless how you look at it.

I met her a long time ago in Belgium of all places. Met as in ran into her. I was getting out of a cab and going into a grocery store and she was coming out. I knew it was her, I've been following her on and off since I was a teen.

Addicts do need help.

Addicts who get in cars when they're drunk or high are dangerous. One of the things that upsets me the most is hearing of innocent people being killed from impaired drivers.

Heche almost killed people in this situation. She crashed into a freaking house.

When someone chooses to drive drunk or high and they end up hurting themselves instead of others, I don't feel sorry for them. In fact I'm relieved if they only hurt themselves.

Addiction is a sickness. Deciding to drive while impaired is a choice.

I have a friend who was paralyzed because he was in a car on his way to the beach with his friends, but a drunk driver crashed into them head on.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Addicts do need help.

Addicts who get in cars when they're drunk or high are dangerous. One of the things that upsets me the most is hearing of innocent people being killed from impaired drivers.

Heche almost killed people in this situation. She crashed into a freaking house.

When someone chooses to drive drunk or high and they end up hurting themselves instead of others, I don't feel sorry for them. In fact I'm relieved if they only hurt themselves.

I have a friend who was paralyzed because he was in a car on his way to the beach with his friends, but a drunk driver crashed into them head on.
I disagree that it's always easy to make that decision. By no mean do I condone driving while under the influence! I just know that if getting into your car is the only means of picking up a refill the lines blur very quickly. I am not saying I will pardon all those inebriated drivers that get into accidents? No, not one. But the reform should be a lot more complete than a jail sentence and twice per week group zoom call with a therapist who's barely 25. We all have to broaden this issue. There's not just jail and criminal it should be an all encompassing program. Incarceration shouldn't be put first at all. Rehabilitation is what is needed, mental, physical, whatever. Out justice system doesn't know this words exists.

EDIT: My sister is studying to become a therapist for the criminally "insane"? Just don't know what word to use here; this one reads like an overkill.

Mental health is a very important aspect of our lives. Maybe even the most important depending on the grey we use to colour scales. Addiction is also a mental issue and more often than not a very complicated one. I know the subject matter very very well unfortunately. And it's scary. A younger, wealthy profession can't find adequate help. The private sector is in high demand and good appointments you need to schedule months (plural) in advanced.

The free sector is a disaster. Odds are it'll hurt you more than help, but it's often the only choice for addicts, schizophrenics, etc. Quebec is trying to literally put out a giant wave coming in with a paper towel. I would start posting pictures of the conditions, equipment, etc this all is, but will not because people that work at those clinics do the best the can and I respect them for that. But again - develop a strong, lasting panic atttack right now, in Montreal and unless you know the specific hospitals to go to (some very far) you are better off breathing in a paper bag at home.

Been through the ringer, know all of its underbelly. To the government - you are shameless and disgusting assmouths and only do some minimum talking. To the patients - if you can get out of Montreal or even Quebec and move elsewhere in Canada you should do it. Of course situations are different for everyone, but your odds of receiving better care in say Ontario, Alberta, maybe even BC are better.

I moved to the US and it's night and day. Of course it's private, but there are people I can actually reach and talk to 24/7 and inpatient care is even better. I haven't had a single masive panick attack in months and that's with travel, COVID leftovers, etc.

Sorry for making this a lot more broad than I intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'll give it a whirl, thanks

Thanks @GoodKiwi for the Informed info a few pages back. Checked it out on Netflix. Good watch.

You mean, The Informer? I too am on it. It’s looking great.

Glad to have been of service. If you have questions about European and specifically UK TV series (crime, drama) I have built a very large reference library with lots of viewings.

Although last 2-3 years it hasn't been the same and Ive been watching a lot less. The world hasn't bee the same.

I'm also about to buy a house, pop the question and mayber even maybe in a year or two. So life is getting in the way. :|

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I disagree that it's always easy to make that decision. By no mean do I condone driving while under the influence! I just know that if getting into your car is the only means of picking up a refill the lines blur very quickly. I am not saying I will pardon all those inebriated drivers that get into accidents? No, not one. But the reform should be a lot more complete than a jail sentence and twice per week group zoom call with a therapist who's barely 25. We all have to broaden this issue. There's not just jail and criminal it should be an all encompassing program. Incarceration shouldn't be put first at all. Rehabilitation is what is needed, mental, physical, whatever. Out justice system doesn't know this words exists.

EDIT: My sister is studying to become a therapist for the criminally "insane"? Just don't know what word to use here; this one reads like an overkill.

Mental health is a very important aspect of our lives. Maybe even the most important depending on the grey we use to colour scales. Addiction is also a mental issue and more often than not a very complicated one. I know the subject matter very very well unfortunately. And it's scary. A younger, wealthy profession can't find adequate help. The private sector is in high demand and good appointments you need to schedule months (plural) in advanced.

The free sector is a disaster. Odds are it'll hurt you more than help, but it's often the only choice for addicts, schizophrenics, etc. Quebec is trying to literally put out a giant wave coming in with a paper towel. I would start posting pictures of the conditions, equipment, etc this all is, but will not because people that work at those clinics do the best the can and I respect them for that. But again - develop a strong, lasting panic atttack right now, in Montreal and unless you know the specific hospitals to go to (some very far) you are better off breathing in a paper bag at home.

Been through the ringer, know all of its underbelly. To the government - you are shameless and disgusting assmouths and only do some minimum talking. To the patients - if you can get out of Montreal or even Quebec and move elsewhere in Canada you should do it. Of course situations are different for everyone, but your odds of receiving better care in say Ontario, Alberta, maybe even BC are better.

I moved to the US and it's night and day. Of course it's private, but there are people I can actually reach and talk to 24/7 and inpatient care is even better. I haven't had a single masive panick attack in months and that's with travel, COVID leftovers, etc.

Help for mental health has been very meak for a long time in this province, but aside from that, awareness on the issues and causes of mental health is rarely touched upon by the media and people still circulate damaging myths that ostracize those with mental health issues, eg like repeating the myth that addiction starts with a choice when in fact, the medical community and academics in the biological and human sciences have know for a long time that this is false. There's even a seminal experiment made by a Canadian, Bruce Alexander, called Rat Park that showed without much doubt that choice is not the starting point.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Help for mental health has been very meak for a long time in this province, but aside from that, awareness on the issues and causes of mental health is rarely touched upon by the media and people still circulate damaging myths that ostracize those with mental health issues, eg like repeating the myth that addiction starts with a choice when in fact, the medical community and academics in the biological and human sciences have know for a long time that this is false. There's even a seminal experiment made by a Canadian, Bruce Alexander, called Rat Park that showed without much doubt that choice is not the starting point.

Well said.

The belief that you actually have a choice is something many will tell you. That couldn't be further from the truth for most addicts.

In essence - your very own brain will do anything and everything to receive its next dose of "nourishment". You will never win a battle against your own mind.

I smoked for 20+ years. Tried quitting 3-4 times and each of those attempts lasted anywhere from 3 months to one full year. I was very weak and couldn't win without a solid plan in place.

Sat down and crossed all the t's, dotted all the i's one evening about 6-7 years ago. The idea was - you need a plan and you're going to create one tonight.

And it all worked out. The casualties of war included - alcohol (quit drinking the same day I quit smoking), coffee, bars and restaurants late at night. Any social event with my smoking friends was off limits.

It was very very rough for me but it's what I needed. With some lesser methods work, perhaps there are better medications now..

With something harder you absolutely need inpatient care. Before that you still need full commitment and realization that this is something you really want.

No one gets over an addiction in one try. Almost no one.

There will always be setbacks, but it's the starting point that matters most. It's when you site down in front of a mirror, sober, and ask yourself - is this what i really want? Am I ready thins time? What will change in my life if I succeed?

P.S. Back to mental health...I remembered getting to a hospital unloading bay with cops and these two hulk looking nurses came out to I guess secure me? Was funny and sad at once. You are medical professionals, you've been called and told an individual is having a severe panic attack. And them looking unsure and scared wasn't helping me one bit cause i was TERRFIED OF BREATHING TO LOUDLY in the moment.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My entire, nearly 10 year long battle with anxiety and panic attacks in Quebec was a failure. At best they had me run in circles - at worst I was developing several addictions to prescription medications.

Not saying I got everything figured out once I moved to the US, just pointing out that seeking adequate treatment in Montreal was a complete joke. I was being passed around between doctors who believed mental health issues always have a clear and easily identifiable reason. A pillar as some therapists call it. So it was always - financial or romantic issues? Family okay? Drove me nuts.

The second kind was easier to deal with because they didn't really want to see you often or for longer than 5 minutes. They wrote me tons of prescriptions I was on everything from zopiclone to Xanax. This younger. doctor in Montreal West once wrote me a 12 month prescription for zopiclone (addictive qualities, yes) and another anti-anxiety medication I don't want to mention by name that should not be taken daily for a full year.

SO yeah, lots of that over and over.

FOr me, the first break came much later, and only after i found the right psychiatrist. Making sure you work well together can take years and all that work will sadly be wasted in the big picture. And that was the first time I saw real progress. I think without 2 months he opened my eyes as to what accelerated and kept those attacks going most of all. It was unbelieveable cause once he said it and i thought asbout it for a minute or two i knew he was right.

So, since that therapy session I haven't had a single full blown panic attack. I had lesser ones but that made sense in my situation. I won't get into what was said and which self-realizations were made, but this is Freud guys. This is still the only way to effectively address mental health issues. Province of Quebec is simply not ready for anything like that.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well said.

The belief that you actually have a choice is something many will tell you. That couldn't be further from the truth for most addicts.

In essence - your very own brain will do anything and everything to receive its next dose of "nourishment". You will never win a battle against your own mind.

I smoked for 20+ years. Tried quitting 3-4 times and each of those attempts lasted anywhere from 3 months to one full year. I was very weak and couldn't win without a solid plan in place.

Sat down and crossed all the t's, dotted all the i's one evening about 6-7 years ago. The idea was - you need a plan and you're going to create one tonight.

And it all worked out. The casualties of war included - alcohol (quit drinking the same day I quit smoking), coffee, bars and restaurants late at night. Any social event with my smoking friends was off limits.

It was very very rough for me but it's what I needed. With some lesser methods work, perhaps there are better medications now..

With something harder you absolutely need inpatient care. Before that you still need full commitment and realization that this is something you really want.

There will always be setbacks, but it's the starting point that matters most. It's when you site down in front of a mirror, sober, and ask yourself - is this what i really want? Am I ready thins time? What will change in my life if I succeed?

P.S. Back to mental health...I remembered getting to a hospital unloading bay with cops and these two hulk looking nurses came out to I guess secure me? Was funny and sad at once. You are medical professionals, you've been called and told an individual is having a severe panic attack. And them looking unsure and scared wasn't helping me one bit cause i was TERRFIED OF BREATHING TO LOUDLY in the moment.

Have you read Gabor Maté? His book, In the realm of hungry ghosts, might interest you.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My entire, nearly 10 year long battle with anxiety and panic attacks in Quebec was a failure. At best they had me run in circles - at worst I was developing several addictions to prescription medications.

Not saying I got everything figured out once I moved to the US, just pointing out that seeking adequate treatment in Montreal was a complete joke. I was being passed around between doctors who believed mental health issues always have a clear and easily identifiable reason. A pillar as some therapists call it. So it was always - financial or romantic issues? Family okay? Drove me nuts.

The second kind was easier to deal with because they didn't really want to see you often or for longer than 5 minutes. They wrote me tons of prescriptions I was on everything from zopiclone to Xanax. This younger. doctor in Montreal West once wrote me a 12 month prescription for zopiclone (addictive qualities, yes) and another anti-anxiety medication I don't want to mention by name that should not be taken daily for a full year.

SO yeah, lots of that over and over.

FOr me, the first break came much later, and only after i found the right psychiatrist. Making sure you work well together can take years and all that work will sadly be wasted in the big picture. And that was the first time I saw real progress. I think without 2 months he opened my eyes as to what accelerated and kept those attacks going most of all. It was unbelieveable cause once he said it and i thought asbout it for a minute or two i knew he was right.

So, since that therapy session I haven't had a single full blown panic attack. I had lesser ones but that made sense in my situation. I won't get into what was said and which self-realizations were made, but this is Freud guys. This is still the only way to effectively address mental health issues. Province of Quebec is simply not ready for anything like that.
So sorry you had to go through all of that.

I don’t know if it’s fair to paint all mental health professionals in Qc with the same brush (you might need a study with representative data for that), however, the main thing is that you persevered and you progressed and that’s all that really matters.

I’ll move on from this subject but will only add that since you’ve had a breakthrough, we’re now enjoying a new and improved GoodKiwi — we might even have to refer to him as BetterKiwi from now on.

Congrats on all you’ve done on your journey to self-improvement. 👍

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well said.

Same experience as me for quitting smoking. Several failed attempts, one that lasted 2 years. I did the same thing as you. Everything I associated with smoking was done for awhile. Drinking, coffee, video games etc etc. I had to get rid of them all. Luckily that battle is over now and I can have a few drinks without even a thought of a smoke.

My brother is struggling with addiction. It’s sad to watch man, frustrating, he’s not the guy I once knew. Deep down he’s still got all those outstanding qualities he always had, but he’s consumed by his addiction. He recently completed 28 day rehab and did well, but I don’t think he has sustained it after getting out. Back with the same crowds etc. I don’t know what to do anymore for him. I stopped giving him money a couple of years ago, but as far as how to help him through it I feel completely helpless.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Same experience as me for quitting smoking. Several failed attempts, one that lasted 2 years. I did the same thing as you. Everything I associated with smoking was done for awhile. Drinking, coffee, video games etc etc. I had to get rid of them all. Luckily that battle is over now and I can have a few drinks without even a thought of a smoke.

My brother is struggling with addiction. It’s sad to watch man, frustrating, he’s not the guy I once knew. Deep down he’s still got all those outstanding qualities he always had, but he’s consumed by his addiction. He recently completed 28 day rehab and did well, but I don’t think he has sustained it after getting out. Back with the same crowds etc. I don’t know what to do anymore for him. I stopped giving him money a couple of years ago, but as far as how to help him through it I feel completely helpless.
I'm far from an expert, but I do know some people with serious dependencies on alcohol, opioids, etc. that tell me for someone deep into his addiction you need a much longer term rehab facilities.

Someone I know is at a 6 month long treatment program somewhere around Sherbrooke I think. They're pretty much cut off from everyone else and that's the idea here I think. They got horsefarm there, a lake, all kinds of camping/outdoor stuff available and the person I can tell is feeling better about himself over time. Maybe something like that?

I don't know if public centres like this are available, and the one I described it not cheap. SOmething like $3,000 - per month. But everything and I mean everything is included.

The only thing that came to mind, sorry.

Have you read Gabor Maté? His book, In the realm of hungry ghosts, might interest you.
I must've. The author's name is very familiar to me. Will dig his works up on Kindle, thanks.

Reactions: Fenris

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watching Clickbait. Not all that closely following it so can only say two things a couple episodes in.

1. This is very much like Bloodlines in its spirit (acting isn't nearly as good however).

2. I can't shake off the feeling of having seen this before. Unlikely, but there's a strong sense of déjà vu present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Addicts do need help.

When you're completely plastered, you aren't a rational being. That is not excusing it, just saying....

Not sure about the USA but there is something to be said about effeciency and affordibility in public transit/taxis/ubers, and the lack of alternatives.
I live 20 min outside the city, if I want to have a night out, forget public transport as it ends too early. It also doesn't even reach my home by metro. It would have to be metro+bus...looking at about 1h-1h30 just in one way.

So we have to look at taxis-ubers...which will cost around 50$ each way. So, I haven't even done anything and I'm already at -100$ for my night. That's also a net price, so given the taxes here...this is the equivalent of about 150-200$ worth of work. For the middle class, that's like a full day of work.
Add in the cost of going out after that.

Not to excuse people, but in some cases I can understand why people take the risk. They can't afford it.
Have a night out...it'll take you 2h30-3h of transport...or pay 100$ for taxis/ubers...

Now...the guy who lives in the city and drives to see friends, things get out of control...ya he can leave his car, go home in cab, and then come back to grab it in morning....but then he probably gets a ticket for parking.

That said, I think if taxis were more frequent and affordable, with public transit more efficient / better access, there would be less DUIs.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Saul for nothing. I must ask: Why did you guys so much enjoyed this series?

It was fun as it was related to Breaking Bad and had a similar vibe, but so many left field episodes had me shaking my head, especially the first few seasons. If it wasn't for Kim (Rea Seehorn), I don't think I would've stuck with it.

I wouldn't say it was overrated, but its popularity here leaves me puzzled.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Finally watched the Wonder Woman sequel since it's now on Netflix. It was a let down, nowhere near as good as the first one. Disappointed for sure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Saul for nothing. I must ask: Why did you guys so much enjoyed this series?

It was fun as it was related to Breaking Bad and had a similar vibe, but so many left field episodes had me shaking my head, especially the first few seasons. If it wasn't for Kim (Rea Seehorn), I don't think I would've stuck with it.

I wouldn't say it was overrated, but its popularity here leaves me puzzled.

Because Jimmy is a fairly unique and complicated character. A realistic ambulance chasing master conman with a heart, which is far more interesting than most characters you'll find on TV. The supporting cast is top notch.

Gilligan is also a master at developing character psychology.

It's a unique series for the ages, bit it's not for everyone.

I've noticed that people who read a lot have a lot more patience for slow burns and can appreciate them a lot more than otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad