OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I have a lot of respect for writters like Gilligan and Gould, no clue how they can manage to weite something that good.

I’ve actually took cinema studies in cegep, (no math so I wanted to enjoy my time …), everything about this show is brilliant.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Every time I finish watching something really good it takes me time to start watching something else.

Does anyone have the same thing?

Yeah, but it depends on what's available, like a new season of an ongoing show, but if you're speaking strictly of watching something completely new, yeah sure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I have a lot of respect for writters like Gilligan and Gould, no clue how they can manage to weite something that good.

I’ve actually took cinema studies in cegep, (no math so I wanted to enjoy my time …), everything about this show is brilliant.

Can't believe we're now at the final episode. 11 seasons+1movie of greatness.

Can't wait to see what this duo will do next.

I wonder what route they'll take. Because they like unique characters and how they propted a talented comedian into one of the greatest television characters ever, I wonder if they'll do something with a guy like Dave Chappelle.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
...I have a theory about the movie that I wanted to share...bare with me...

While using all of their tech in this movie would make it about 7 minutes long total, the Yautja (Predator) seems smaller and more reactive/less cunning than they usually have in the other movies...I think it's a Juvenile that's literally on it's first hunt

...what do you think??...

Not sure if he's that smaller, but I would agree he might be young. Not having a full mask might be another sign as their masks are ritualistic and mark their rank. He also looks like he's part of the dominating/tyrannical Yautja elite clique as his morphology is very similar to them and the hybrid from the last movie.

I have to go watch Predator 2 with Danny Glover as I'm pretty sure the gun she had in the end is the same given to Harrigan by the Yautja at the end of P2

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not sure if he's that smaller, but I would agree he might be young. Not having a full mask might be another sign as their masks are ritualistic and mark their rank. He also looks like he's part of the dominating/tyrannical Yautja elite clique as his morphology is very similar to them and the hybrid from the last movie.

I have to go watch Predator 2 with Danny Glover as I'm pretty sure the gun she had in the end is the same given to Harrigan by the Yautja at the end of P2
It is the same gun; the director even acknowledged that Easter Egg...hopefully this is the direction the Predator movies go in for another movie or two...I think the possibilities of exploring their history of hunting on Earth would be a great Prequel Trilogy :thumbu:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Prey (Disney +) : There's not much left to see from The Predator franchise....smaller budget movie made for streaming, special effect was left to the minimal but despites all that, it was not the worst of the franchise. The pace, action, entertainment is there, simple and to the point, back to basics but effective..... 7.7\10

I'll be a little more generous and bump my score to an 8/10. I really enjoyed it. Despite being a Disney owned property, movie was violent and brutal. However, I thought the storytelling was unique to the film series and as you mentioned, a smaller and more personal story.

Very different from the Schwarzenegger Predator, and I was a big fan of Predators with Brody. This one I did enjoy as well and while I'm not sure if I'd rank this #2 or #3, it's definitely much better than the others I didn't mention.

Reactions: Milhouse40

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'll be a little more generous and bump my score to an 8/10. I really enjoyed it. Despite being a Disney owned property, movie was violent and brutal. However, I thought the storytelling was unique to the film series and as you mentioned, a smaller and more personal story.

Very different from the Schwarzenegger Predator, and I was a big fan of Predators with Brody. This one I did enjoy as well and while I'm not sure if I'd rank this #2 or #3, it's definitely much better than the others I didn't mention.
Film was okay but suffered from the same super hero plague all movies suffer from these days. There was some neat ideas. Like the fact the Predator was not just a copy paste but used new well designed weapons and the mask was different. It's only logical that all predators would have their preferred weapons and would have a different mask to affiliate themselves to a group.

But the action felt forced and not natural. Lot of little things felt out of place like her jumping on a tree to change direction while running at a deer. I mean like there's no reason to do that honestly. Also hunting deer with axes instead of a bow and arrow? Also at one point she's taking down like 5 or 6 men by herself and some of them were armed if i remember correctly. Like i'm not one of those anti-woke lunatics who want all women to be presented in kitchen in my movies but that scene would fell unrealistic with a man too. Like 1 against 5-6 usually you'll lose unless you're a super hero or some sort of Jason Bourne trained in vitro to kill.

Movie had potential but the script left to be desired. Much better than the previous 2018 movie though which was a farce. I'd rank the one with Brody higher personally. I would need to rewatch the 2nd one but i don't remember it being particularly good. I would probably rank them Predator 87 > Predators > Prey > Predator 2 > > > > > > Pile of crap > > > > > A little bit of vomit > > > > > Predator 2018

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...I also really enjoyed Predators with Adrien Brody and am surprised it didn't at least garner a sequel...underrated addition to this Franchise, imo...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
...I also really enjoyed Predators with Adrien Brody and am surprised it didn't at least garner a sequel...underrated addition to this Franchise, imo...

Yeah, I thought it was a great movie and merited a sequel. Instead, we got a talking super Predator next.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Nope was pretty good!, surprised me,
Even with one of the reveals ,
The Ship IS the Alien lol
my initial reaction was "aw man" but then it VERY quickly grew on me as I enjoy unique and different kinds of ideas with such a subject matter as this

Didnt much like Peele's Get Out, didnt even sniff "Us" but this one really did it for me for the most part

Oscar winner Kaluuya didnt really show much "range" in this one lol but how calm he is all movie really stood out to me and I liked it over constant fevered panic

And for anyone who knows, that Barn scene.. I thought I was having a Life MOMENT lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Film was okay but suffered from the same super hero plague all movies suffer from these days. There was some neat ideas. Like the fact the Predator was not just a copy paste but used new well designed weapons and the mask was different. It's only logical that all predators would have their preferred weapons and would have a different mask to affiliate themselves to a group.

But the action felt forced and not natural. Lot of little things felt out of place like her jumping on a tree to change direction while running at a deer. I mean like there's no reason to do that honestly. Also hunting deer with axes instead of a bow and arrow? Also at one point she's taking down like 5 or 6 men by herself and some of them were armed if i remember correctly. Like i'm not one of those anti-woke lunatics who want all women to be presented in kitchen in my movies but that scene would fell unrealistic with a man too. Like 1 against 5-6 usually you'll lose unless you're a super hero or some sort of Jason Bourne trained in vitro to kill.

Movie had potential but the script left to be desired. Much better than the previous 2018 movie though which was a farce. I'd rank the one with Brody higher personally. I would need to rewatch the 2nd one but i don't remember it being particularly good. I would probably rank them Predator 87 > Predators > Prey > Predator 2 > > > > > > Pile of crap > > > > > A little bit of vomit > > > > > Predator 2018

Eeesh, I wasn't a fan of Predators, not that it's a bad movie, but wasn't great either.

Predator 2, I really liked and the first AVP wasn't all that bad.

I'D rank them 87, P2, Prey, AVP, Predators

And at the tail end, the two horrible abominations, AVP2 and Predator (2018).

Reactions: LaP

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Eeesh, I wasn't a fan of Predators, not that it's a bad movie, but wasn't great either.

Predator 2, I really liked and the first AVP wasn't all that bad.

I'D rank them 87, P2, Prey, AVP, Predators

And at the tail end, the two horrible abominations, AVP2 and Predator (2018).

Predator 2018 was tolerable at times, but the reveal about that kid being his prized prey and he started talking to the group through that computer. It was so F#$^*&@ dumb. Never mind the typical action/ horror movie stereotypes.

P2 I liked since it was in the city and was a bit different but it got really hokey at the end and the whole old lady bathroom thing was cringy.

Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I get what you're saying in regards to the super hero moments. At times, she looked like you can drop her into any Marvel or DC movie and she could mow baddies down with an ax tied to a string.

Even these super hero moments weren't balanced... at one point, which I won't spoil when, her brother was an absolute badass, but then he like kinda weirdly gave up.

I did suspend belief though understanding this was ultimately a survival movie, but yeah, hop scotching off trees like a pinball to chase animals was dumb. I thought the bear sequence was great though.

I will agree with you that the Brody one was good. Maybe I liked it because it came out after the AVP movies, which sorry, I thought BOTH were trash, though AVP1 is a masterpiece compared to AVP2.

One thing I will say about the Predator in Prey, which I told my family after finishing this one...
he seemed kinda dumb to me. He made a lot of rather poor tactical decisions that eventually got his ass killed. Maybe against the other Comanche warriors, the director wanted to show how tough they were so they got some licks in, but he almost got taken down by a bunch of drunk trappers.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I get what you're saying in regards to the super hero moments. At times, she looked like you can drop her into any Marvel or DC movie and she could mow baddies down with an ax tied to a string.

Even these super hero moments weren't balanced... at one point, which I won't spoil when, her brother was an absolute badass, but then he like kinda weirdly gave up.

I did suspend belief though understanding this was ultimately a survival movie, but yeah, hop scotching off trees like a pinball to chase animals was dumb. I thought the bear sequence was great though.

I will agree with you that the Brody one was good. Maybe I liked it because it came out after the AVP movies, which sorry, I thought BOTH were trash, though AVP1 is a masterpiece compared to AVP2.

One thing I will say about the Predator in Prey, which I told my family after finishing this one...
he seemed kinda dumb to me. He made a lot of rather poor tactical decisions that eventually got his ass killed. Maybe against the other Comanche warriors, the director wanted to show how tough they were so they got some licks in, but he almost got taken down by a bunch of drunk trappers.
To be fair the Predator in the first movie was outsmarted by Arnold which imply a pretty low IQ :naughty:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just finished ''Keep Breathing''...Absolute horseshit of a show. I only kept going because my gf wanted to, but even for her, she was asking me to fast foward the scenes. I think we watched like 25% of the show and skipped 75%.
So so bad.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

To be fair, the Predators were supposed to not be as strong and the original since this happens way before the 1st. Predators always evolve according to the strenght of their ennemy. Both fighters evolve and learn from their opponents.

Personally, I also had some problem with the ''Disney part'' in the movie but at least it got some of the original feel to it.....in the woods, against the elements, not much ressources and not 28 different predators, just the good old one vs one ending.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Delete

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just finished ''Keep Breathing''...Absolute horseshit of a show. I only kept going because my gf wanted to, but even for her, she was asking me to fast foward the scenes. I think we watched like 25% of the show and skipped 75%.
So so bad.

Yeah like.. im in a mountain lake, I see a bear on the shore where I have all my stuff and a dead body lying around. The bear poops and then goes away.

My instant reaction would be, I need to find somewhere else to lay low.

What does that chick do? She goes right back to that shore and settles there.

The entire crash and survival part was poorly thought out and was simply an excuse to flaskback us some boring and sob story on how she was too much of a workaholic.

Wasted time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad