OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Prey (Disney +) : There's not much left to see from The Predator franchise....smaller budget movie made for streaming, special effect was left to the minimal but despites all that, it was not the worst of the franchise. The pace, action, entertainment is there, simple and to the point, back to basics but effective..... 7.7\10

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Really? This would be excellent, he is my favorite Marvel character.

It was dropped after two seasons (like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Daredevil) because contractually, I think the partnership between Netflix and Marvel ended around that time. I’m also sure they weren’t pleased with Disney+ being launched also which didn’t motivate them to continue to promote the characters.

I may be mistaken, but I think this Netflix deal was negotiated between Marvel Entertainment and Netflix rather than Marvel Studios. This explains the non-existent connections to the MCU. It’ll be interesting to see if they retcon the Punisher for the MCU. Hard to tell if the Kingpin and Daredevil are the “same” Netflix characters despite being played by the same actors.

Back to Netflix, I dunno… maybe they wouldn’t lose so many subscribers if they didn’t keep cancelling original programming shows after one season.

The Netflix Daredevil, Charlie Cox, appeared as Matt Murdock in the last Spider-man movie, No Way Home, distributed by Sony, but co-produced by Columbia and Marvel Studios, which also had Dr Strange from the MCU. Marvel Studios had always planned on making them part of the MCU.

Each of the shows made plenty of references to the MCU continuity.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You should buy a VNC sub and run the stream through laptop or pc, you'll get whatever region you log into for your VNC.

It's the main reason I switched from cable to stream a decade ago.
BBC iPlayer is no joke.

There is no public VPN service I know that isn't already blacklisted or is going to be blacklisted by them within days/hours even. I'm lucky because I have a corporate VPN out of our London office that will not be flagged since it's private.

It's exactly what I do with this VPN - I stream from around the world without a fail.

Just spent 2 months in Singapore and akc home in MO right now. Works like a charm, just need a stable enough Internet connection to hit up our UK VPN servers. Obviously the VPN isn't set up for streaming, but they don't suspect a thing! :P

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The Netflix Daredevil, Charlie Cox, appeared as Matt Murdock in the last Spider-man movie, No Way Home, distributed by Sony, but co-produced by Columbia and Marvel Studios, which also had Dr Strange from the MCU. Marvel Studios had always planned on making them part of the MCU.

Each of the shows made plenty of references to the MCU continuity.

I‘m aware he was in Spider-Man, just as Kingpin was in Hawkeye as well. What isn’t clear is if they are the same characters unless something was confirmed more recently. Kingpin in particular seemed to exhibit power levels closer to the comics in Hawkeye.

The links to the continuity were minor at best. They mentioned the Battle of New York for sure, as well as The Raft in Jessica Jones but there weren’t many references. I’d imagine Marvel Studios didn’t share a whole lot, much like how Agents of Shield were left in the dark as well.

I know contractually, they had to wait a few years after the shows were cancelled before bringing them to the MCU. Anyhow, I’ve read for Daredevil anyways, it may be a soft retcon. It may more or less be a continuation of the first three seasons but they’ll change a few details.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So as opposed to my original plan of blowing through Barry S3 in one sitting, I decided to savour the 4 hours I got with it instead and am only 4 episodes in at this poinbt.

Often I skip back and watch a scene or to again to enjoy it, but the Bolivian house and the customer service call take the cake so far.

"Have you tried turning off the wi-fi? .... Sounds like it is working now."

Even before, while Hank was installing the app... "Location..always, would i like to share my usage details with you... abosolutely..."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great humour to give one a little break. Because this season is going darker than S2 just like S2 was darker than S1. But we're starting to see another Barry.

This Barry is a lot more unpleasant, oppressive even, that the guy murdering people left and right. He starts coming though in scenes more and more often, with Hank and especially Cousineau.

I do not like this Barry at all. I do not wish him well. It's a dirtbag Barry.

And I certainly hope it'll take another twist down the road taking me away from seeing him like this.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watched The Gray Man yesterday. What a major disappointment. I can see what they were aiming for and they had the actors and special effects to achieve it but the script was so dumb my brain was telling me WTH every 5 minutes. Directing left to be desired too. Cinematography was uneven. At time really good and at other time was the victim of some weird camera angles for no reason.

Like the gray man is hiding in an apartment and you send 4 units to destroy the whole apartment with automatic weapons in broad day light. Like WTF are you trying to accomplish? All the cops available in the country will be there in 10 minutes. Got to assume the guy was a psycho but psycho tend to be very methodical and intelligent persons. This guy was the dumbest private "special agent" in the history of cinema.

When pretty much every men and women in the history of mankind would have waited at night to act silently no no no this dumb m***** ****** instead decide to just destroy the whole f***ing city and he expect to get away with it.

Austria's Chancellor : Hey president of USA my special service just told me one of your rogue agent destroyed the whole city of Vienna. Billions in damage. Lot of good police men dead.
President of USA option 1 : This is my best private special agent deal with it i can't do anything for you gth.
President of USA option 2 : I'm really sorry for that let's find some sort of made up excuse to explain this and we will pay for the damage. I'll make sure this dumb **** disappear and nobody will ever see him again. It'll be painful i promise.

Apparently this guy thought option 1 would be prefered by USA. Man i think a 10 years old would write a better script.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@LaP

What were you excepting from the script, "Burn After Reading"? "Pulp Fiction""? Writing-wise I mean. :P

To me it works great as an action movie that transcends its (serious) shortcomings. Very few action films manage to do that. It's other downfall, a more serious one in my eyes, are the CG and to lesser extend awkward moments during hand to hand combat choreographed to a very high degree of difficulty. Easily higher than JW films (sorry, it's really like the one that comes to mind for comparison). Did anyone realize that their movements during fighting are tuned to the soundtrack more often than not? Super cool.

I saw "The Gray Man" three times now. For sure, my second and third viewings didn't have me as impressed as my first one but I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of near flawless writing....

Barry (as a show) has gotten quieter in S3, but what kind of a masterpiece those dialogues are? I only remember watching something close to this level of mastery in Mr. Robot. It's the art of making you think you're watching one thing before you realize you're watching something completely different. These twists are very sudden and land the intended punch very well. Loving it.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
@LaP

What were you excepting from the script, "Burn After Reading"? "Pulp Fiction""? Writing-wise I mean. :P

To me it works great as an action movie that transcends its (serious) shortcomings. Very few action films manage to do that. It's other downfall, a more serious one in my eyes, are the CG and to lesser extend awkward moments during hand to hand combat choreographed to a very high degree of difficulty. Easily higher than JW films (sorry, it's really like the one that comes to mind for comparison). Did anyone realize that their movements during fighting are tuned to the soundtrack more often than not? Super cool.

I saw "The Gray Man" three times now. For sure, my second and third viewings didn't have me as impressed as my first one but I still enjoyed it thoroughly.
I was expecting an action packed movie with a cohesive world where i can turn my brain off and it'll remain off without requiring me to put the switch back to off again every 5 minutes. Lloyd was just too dumb. The rest of the movie is good. But Lloyd killed it for me. His character doesn't make any sense. A dumb psycho with a QI of 40 in the middle of a teenager crisis hired by the CIA ... dunno it just did not work for me. Tune down Lloyd a notch. Make him a methodical intelligent psycho working in the shadows and you got a good movie for my taste. If it worked for you then well it's all good.

Reactions: Barriwhite

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched The Gray Man yesterday. What a major disappointment. I can see what they were aiming for and they had the actors and special effects to achieve it but the script was so dumb my brain was telling me WTH every 5 minutes. Directing left to be desired too. Cinematography was uneven. At time really good and at other time was the victim of some weird camera angles for no reason.

Like the gray man is hiding in an apartment and you send 4 units to destroy the whole apartment with automatic weapons in broad day light. Like WTF are you trying to accomplish? All the cops available in the country will be there in 10 minutes. Got to assume the guy was a psycho but psycho tend to be very methodical and intelligent persons. This guy was the dumbest private "special agent" in the history of cinema.

When pretty much every men and women in the history of mankind would have waited at night to act silently no no no this dumb m***** ****** instead decide to just destroy the whole f***ing city and he expect to get away with it.

Austria's Chancellor : Hey president of USA my special service just told me one of your rogue agent destroyed the whole city of Vienna. Billions in damage. Lot of good police men dead.
President of USA option 1 : This is my best private special agent deal with it i can't do anything for you gth.
President of USA option 2 : I'm really sorry for that let's find some sort of made up excuse to explain this and we will pay for the damage. I'll make sure this dumb **** disappear and nobody will ever see him again. It'll be painful i promise.

Apparently this guy thought option 1 would be prefered by USA. Man i think a 10 years old would write a better script.

I bailed on that contraption within minutes. Didn’t feel like watching another invincible guy and his enemies armed to the teeth and discharging weapons for the hell of it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I bailed on that contraption within minutes. Didn’t feel like watching another invincible guy and his enemies armed to the teeth and discharging weapons for the hell of it.
I think the beginning of the movie was okay. It was like a poor man's John Wick mixed with a bit of Pierce Brossman's Bond. Then it shifted to a poor man's Jason Bourne mixed with a poor man's Tom Cruise. That's where i went WTH. When they fought outside the plane while dropping in parachutes i was like okkkkkkaayyyyyyyy but whyyyyy???? My brain suddenly woke up from the whisky induced state it was in :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I wonder why the first thing that I thought of after reading this was you guys.

1659889713566.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
These super-cheesy promos that the big US networks used to put out in anticipation of a new TV season, are hilarious.

Here's one from ABC:

A lot of shrapnel to look into.

Like the funky dance moves by this guy. :laugh:

6p7a8b.gif

Or if you prefer, with sound:

Or whatever this is supposed to represent:

6p79g2.gif

And Barney Miller bringing it:

6p78zl.gif

You'll have certainly recognized several familiar faces, including Burgess Meredith, Tom Hanks, Eugene Levy among many others.

I'm betting @GoodKiwi knows this handsome dude, who happens to be in a show Kiwi is savoring right now:

6p79oh.gif

Hey now, Kathy Lee Crosby:

6p79wd.gif

And sadly, none of it can be unseen.

Happy Sunday, lol.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
These super-cheesy promos that the big US networks used to put out in anticipation of a new TV season, are hilarious.

Here's one from ABC:

6p7a8b.gif

6p79g2.gif

6p78zl.gif

You'll have certainly recognized several familiar faces, including Burgess Meredith, Tom Hanks, Eugene Levy among many others.

I'm betting @GoodKiwi knows this handsome dude, who happens to be in a show Kiwi is savoring right now:

6p79oh.gif

d

6p79wd.gif

And sadly, none of it can be unseen. Happy Sunday, lol.

WOW!!! What a great find. Hal Linden dancing did it for me. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The 80's were seriously weird. That was like an LSD FLASH BACK.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Here's one from ABC:

6p7a8b.gif

6p79g2.gif

6p78zl.gif

6p79oh.gif

6p79wd.gif

And sadly, none of it can be unseen.

Happy Sunday, lol.

...and that's why we GenXers might be the most screwed up in all Human Civilization...:laugh:

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I think the beginning of the movie was okay. It was like a poor man's John Wick mixed with a bit of Pierce Brossman's Bond. Then it shifted to a poor man's Jason Bourne mixed with a poor man's Tom Cruise. That's where i went WTH. When they fought outside the plane while dropping in parachutes i was like okkkkkkaayyyyyyyy but whyyyyy???? My brain suddenly woke up from the whisky induced state it was in :laugh:
Was just about to post this as well - that it was a bad mix of Jason Bourne and James Bond. What a terrible movie - the most lame and predictable plot line and even the actions scenes were not believable at all.

Damn my cousin for telling my to watch it!

• Haha

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Saw Prey yesterday. Thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the franchise. Probably the best Predator movie since the first two.
...I have a theory about the movie that I wanted to share...bare with me...

While using all of their tech in this movie would make it about 7 minutes long total, the Yautja (Predator) seems smaller and more reactive/less cunning than they usually have in the other movies...I think it's a Juvenile that's literally on it's first hunt

...what do you think??...

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Done with Killing Eve. They brought in new characters just to confuse us more? That french chick on the Island, who eats worms and the other quiet one who seems to not know what she's supposed to do. The ending was good, I had a feeling Vilanelle was in trouble. Never expected her to get shot in the back. The underwater scene was especially poignant. Overall a good series. 7.3/10

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So, what did you all think of The Orville season 3?

I thought they lost some of the magic from the first two seasons, and it was more about relationships and moral issues, like Bortus and Klyden and the controversy over their son/daughter Topa. Isaac and his quest for humanity while trying to gain back the trust of his shipmates.

It wasn't bad, but I'm a bit disappointed. There was a lot more action and space battles, with plenty of lazers.

I honestly forgot about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad