OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Was away for work for almost two months and didn't get a chance to watch it yet. But I'm going to right now.

Barry S3.

Is this going to top Ozark as my returning TV series of the year? Probably, but I'll report soon.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know how many know about this, but there is a way (finally) to access decent chunk of BBC 1st and 2rd/3rd party content. It didn't blow me away, but I'm not the right judge here since I got access to all of BBC otherwise.

Someone, take a look and let us know if this could be worth ten bucks. Hopefully they'll ramp up soon, but UK content rights are even more f***ed up than Canadian once, so I'm going to wait and see.

Any faves you care the share? I can fish out a series elsewhere, just need names. I don't feel like adding another paying service.

I'm hearing Netflix is thinking of introducing advertising to its platform and the only way to bypass the ads is to pay more. Sure Netflix, you do that and I'll ditch you like all these other subscribers have already.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Any faves you care the share? I can fish out a series elsewhere, just need names. I don't feel like adding another paying service.

I'm hearing Netflix is thinking of introducing advertising to its platform and the only way to bypass the ads is to pay more. Sure Netflix, you do that and I'll ditch you like all these other subscribers have already.
Yeah, starting with an obscure, stinky mini-series "River". :sarcasm:

There are older shows - MI-5, Midsomer Murders, REG and some newer ones Shetland, Luther, Doctor Foster.

I didn't go through the whole list but it has mostly classics you might've missed. Think 90 into 00's. This kinda stuff.

Silk is very good, The Fall is a must-see show. The Victim, Unforgotten (Nicola Walker), Wallander, Trauma, A Confession.

As I'm scrolling more and more there are now perhaps 10-15 top notch shows that i watched several times each.

You will see a ton of stars here (UK ones), even if their younger self in a lot of cases.

This is getting interesting. Better than I expected. Nothing fresh off the production oven here, don't be mistaken please. But if you're serios about getting into British TV this looks like a good way to do it.

This also seems to be English shows mostly, but I did see some Irish, Scottish and Welsh.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, starting with an obscure, stinky mini-series "River". :sarcasm:

There are older shows - MI-5, Midsomer Murders, REG and some newer ones Shetland, Luther, Doctor Foster.

I didn't go through the whole list but it has mostly classics you might've missed. Think 90 into 00's. This kinda stuff.

Silk is very good, The Fall is a must-see show. The Victim, Unforgotten (Nicola Walker), Wallander, Trauma.

As I'm scrolling more and more there are now perhaps 10-15 top notch shows that i watched several times each.

You will see a ton of stars here (UK ones), even if their younger self in a lot of cases.

This is getting interesting. Better than I expected. Nothing fresh off the production oven here, don't be mistaken please. But if you're serios about getting into British TV this looks like a good way to do it.

This also seems to be English shows mostly, but I did see some Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
I just remembered one show in particular that you had suggested and which I absolutely loved -- C.B. Strike. Is it one of those that you've watched several times over? I'm thinking of dipping back into Brit shows by going back to that one. The casting and story were superb.

Ah, the infamous River. I knew that one would come up. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have some digging to do. And time to dedicate. Should be interesting.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I just remembered one show in particular that you had suggested and which I absolutely loved -- C.B. Strike. Is it one of those that you've watched several times over? I'm thinking of dipping back into Brit shows by going back to that one. The casting and story were superb.

Ah, the infamous River. I knew that one would come up. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have some digging to do. And time to dedicate. Should be interesting.
C.B. Strike is a heavy hitter. It's their most popular production in crime genre with Sherlock Holmes! You will NOT find a similar UK produced series, it does not exist unless you're willing to go back a few decades and compensate for that a little.

What's better on the that that? Ough, not much if you set your aim so high. River, arguably things like A Confession, The Victim, The Fall. I wouldn't put any of the latter 3 above Strike, but I'm trying to give you some context.

CB is at the level of something like Immigrant , Hinterland, Marcella (last season never happened), The Honourable Woman for me. An unorthodox list, but this is very top shelf for me. These are all "hidden gems" that surprised everyone and became some of the best BBC offers.

All is my personal opinion of course.

For what it's worth - my sister's top favorite show is The Fall. Very very strong and I put it against anything else if not for the ending chain of events. If only they stsayed true to themselves and remain modest. Damn, would be perfect.

A lot will put Young Wallander, Bodyguard, Collateral there. Im' on the fence. Different dynamic, I haven't figured out whether I accepted these "new age" shows or not hehe.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

This is better than Strike IMO. How could possibly forget about it when I have it #2 behind River for BBC productions. This is a masterpiece. Nabhaan Rizwan looks like he can become a global acting superstar given time and good decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs and Runner77

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Netflix w/ ads is going to be the cheapest plan available, ie: cheaper than basic. Doesn't change anything for anyone with an already active subscription. Disney+ will be doing the same later this year, Paramount+/HBO Max/Hulu already have a plan with ads.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Netflix w/ ads is going to be the cheapest plan available, ie: cheaper than basic. Doesn't change anything for anyone with an already active subscription. Disney+ will be doing the same later this year, Paramount+/HBO Max/Hulu already have a plan with ads.
Just sucks that they’re going to an ad model given that it’s a paying service.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just sucks that they’re going to an ad model given that it’s a paying service.
Add supported models for streaming services have shown to be more "profitable" (I use that in quotes) and subscription-based ones. I read some white papers on that and it relates to customer retention mostly.

Netflix is in deep doo-doo right now. They're spraying stuff at the wall in hopes of getting to grow their active user-base, so this is an attempt to test the waters. I'm not ruling out cheaper, ad-subsidized versions of higher tier plans down the road.

I'd like to say I'm not bothered by that, but it'll depend on ad frequency/duration. Tubi's model is great for example. I no longer even notice there are ads there. But it's the most conservative service that way, others run more. That said - the double whammy of ads and subscription stinks, i agree.

Disney+, I'm sure, will turn into a 24/7 live streaming advertisement with actual content coming in at the top of each hour in five minute chunks. :laugh:

EDIT: If Netflix starts giving me Central/North-Western Europe series not 1 year late for each/some seasons - I might stay. But They're horrible at that. Won't even list all those still active series that they "forgot about" 1-2 seasons in. Where am I supposed to find Finnish YLE streaming service for Karppi and if I do what about subtitles? And they will probably start doing this with Valhalla Murders if it survives the pandemic challenges and gives us another season.

Some stuff I have no choice but to obtain in other ways. I hate that, but they leave me no choice. I'm a minority, I get it. Just very inconsistent with the category I'm most interested in.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pretty much goes back to just a TV format..
Like cable..you pay..watch your shows with ads.
The ability to watch shows without ads was such a distinguishing feature but with all these services cropping up and Netflix losing so much content, we’re facing a new business model.

I hope some of these services amalgamate or get offered in bundles so as to provide more affordable access to users.

I’m surprised Netflix didn’t take proactive measures when they started seeing their content clawed back by providers starting their own service. I believe their bounce back strategy is to produce more in-house content but it’ll take quite some time to make up lost ground.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I suppose, yeah. At least you have on-demand here and the selection is much much larger.

My last cable bill was $100 or so per month and it 15 channels (sports though, so apples to oranges).

All of my current subscriptions run me a lot more, but only because of BBC and iPlayer or whatever that's even called. That thing is pretty much impossible to set up legally and understand without a PHD. I just lucky given my circumstances where I basically have a UK apartment with a TV set, and active TV license and I can get around their VPN blocking because I use our corporate one. Oh, you need a UK issued credit card, and active postal code - all that fun stuff. Anyway - $150 CAD per month is what I average (it has subscriptions but PPV options are also there for a few bucks). This entire platform needs to be put out of its misery, but some of it is not BBC's but UK TV regulations fault. It's as very complex web of who owns what and where.

Then you add what 25 for Netflix Premium, another 10-12 for Prime, Hulu - $10-415? Sportsnet ONE is I think $18 per all in.

So yeah, over $200 CAD per month easily on all this, so IF some corporate smart-ass decides to slap some ads on a higher tier plan I'm out of the door instantly.

BBC stuff is with ads but it's because it's not your conventional streaming service. It's archaic version of what we have/had logging in via your TV provider to get access to channels you pay for.

If BBC create a platform with BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, cBBC (don't need the News or Radio 1) and I can stream from anywhere in the world and that gets real time episode updates. Take my money! All of it! 200-300 CAD per month I will do with a smile on my face for Full HD and 4K streams and no ads. I earn and it's all I watch. To have a truly open platform would be a game changer for me.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Very OT of some sorts but Bob Odenkirk is trending on Twitter today because it was discovered he had a foot fetish.

I think that’s very fitting in the Saul Goodman verse. Me likey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There is only one Informer:

I recall another “informer” from a 1973 film, Walking Tall. I’ve just gone through over 15 YT clips in an attempt to locate the sequence but it didn’t come up so I’ll provide the gyst.

It involves the real life story of a young Tennessee sheriff, Buford Pusser, who survived several assassination attempts, one of which resulted in his wife dying: They Killed His Wife And Left Him For Dead – Then He Got Revenge

He was getting a lot of pushback from all the mobsters controlling his jurisdiction, and they decided to seek revenge. They had a govt official in their pocket so they used him to uncover personal info about Pusser so they could ambush him.

As a means of gathering that privileged info, the official was urged by a colleague, to attend a county fair, where there would be an informer who would spill to him all the intel he was after.

So the official is lazily walking about with his colleague, trying to figure out who the informer might be.

At one point, while passing by the bar, he sees a morbidly obese woman with his back to him, drinking at the bar. Not missing a beat, he turns to his colleague:

Govt official: Whose fat ass is that?
Colleague: It’s the informer, Sir!

Govt official turns to obese woman: “Blessed your heart!”

I don’t know why but I never forgot that scene. That’s your third informer right there. :sarcasm:

That Buford Pusser story is quite compelling, to say the least.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...so the grandkids are gone back home and just watched the Predator prequel PREY...really enjoyed it...not an Oscar winner by any stretch, but a fine film...starts off rather slow and then rounds out to be one of the better Predator installments, imo (not that it would be terribly difficult, especially those horrid AvP movies)...

Reactions: Redux91 and Kojo

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Add supported models for streaming services have shown to be more "profitable" (I use that in quotes) and subscription-based ones. I read some white papers on that and it relates to customer retention mostly.

Netflix is in deep doo-doo right now. They're spraying stuff at the wall in hopes of getting to grow their active user-base, so this is an attempt to test the waters. I'm not ruling out cheaper, ad-subsidized versions of higher tier plans down the road.

I'd like to say I'm not bothered by that, but it'll depend on ad frequency/duration. Tubi's model is great for example. I no longer even notice there are ads there. But it's the most conservative service that way, others run more. That said - the double whammy of ads and subscription stinks, i agree.

Disney+, I'm sure, will turn into a 24/7 live streaming advertisement with actual content coming in at the top of each hour in five minute chunks. :laugh:

EDIT: If Netflix starts giving me Central/North-Western Europe series not 1 year late for each/some seasons - I might stay. But They're horrible at that. Won't even list all those still active series that they "forgot about" 1-2 seasons in. Where am I supposed to find Finnish YLE streaming service for Karppi and if I do what about subtitles? And they will probably start doing this with Valhalla Murders if it survives the pandemic challenges and gives us another season.

Some stuff I have no choice but to obtain in other ways. I hate that, but they leave me no choice. I'm a minority, I get it. Just very inconsistent with the category I'm most interested in.

You should buy a VNC sub and run the stream through laptop or pc, you'll get whatever region you log into for your VNC.

It's the main reason I switched from cable to stream a decade ago.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
...so the grandkids are gone back home and just watched the Predator prequel PREY...really enjoyed it...not an Oscar winner by any stretch, but a fine film...starts off rather slow and then rounds out to be one of the better Predator installments, imo (not that it would be terribly difficult, especially those horrid AvP movies)...

Jeeze I didnt even know there was a prequel coming out (guess Adam Michaels did a not-so-great job advertising the comicon. :sarcasm: )

The wife will be happy.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So Disney will bring back the punisher I've heard, never really understood why they dropped it after 2 seasons

Really? This would be excellent, he is my favorite Marvel character.

It was dropped after two seasons (like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Daredevil) because contractually, I think the partnership between Netflix and Marvel ended around that time. I’m also sure they weren’t pleased with Disney+ being launched also which didn’t motivate them to continue to promote the characters.

I may be mistaken, but I think this Netflix deal was negotiated between Marvel Entertainment and Netflix rather than Marvel Studios. This explains the non-existent connections to the MCU. It’ll be interesting to see if they retcon the Punisher for the MCU. Hard to tell if the Kingpin and Daredevil are the “same” Netflix characters despite being played by the same actors.

Back to Netflix, I dunno… maybe they wouldn’t lose so many subscribers if they didn’t keep cancelling original programming shows after one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad