OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yea. I've seen a video of how fast she was going. A neighbor's doorbell camera shows her speeding down a residential street and you can hear the crash.

She suffered from severe burns from crashing into the home. She nearly killed a woman and her dogs, who were inside the house. But the home owner lost a lot of things that were personal and sentimental as a result.

In fact, Heche had another accident before this. But she fled the scene of the first crash before she ended up crashing into the house.

I don't feel any sympathy for Heche here.

Didnt Heche have manic episodes where she was quite psychotic in the past? I haven't followed what was going on with her recently, but people become so disinhibited and lacking judgement they often start taking, retaking or exaggerating on substances to the point events like this can happen. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I wouldn't judge too quickly in her case. I know she had a lot of issues even beyond that though. She came from a broken home.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Westworld:

Season 1 was brilliant. One of the best things I have ever seen.

Season 2: a little bloated, but the themes and ideas were insane. Not as good as season 1, but still thought provoking and fun to watch.

Season 3: what a piece of crap.

Season 4: what a piece of crap.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Not sure if an English version exists but, this could be a very spellbinding story. Dog movies are usually good.

runjoerun.jpg
sparks.jpg
runJoerun2.jpg

Talking about a dog in a show, I never saw that tv serie in the mid seventies but they did a dog show "Run Joe Run" ; a german sheppard wronfully accused and reward. He escape all the time but a ranger beleive he's innocent and he tryes to catch him and prove he's innocent. So it's like the show the Fugitive but with a dog. The ranger is played by Arch Whiting, who was Sparks in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. His real name is Harold Joseph Archambault, born in a small town near NY.

I could make a short story about his life : he started as an assistant of Ed Sullivan Show, he played in a tv ad for tootpaste when he did some money, then moved to LA where he was a barman, this is where he met tv producers looking for small roles. He looked good enough to be on tv. He played also on Run for your life, Startrek, Mannix, Streets of SF, about 20 small roles in many shows. After Run Joe Run show he rented his house in LA and used that money to traveled camping all across usa and Canada with a VW Camper, with his family. He did the same in Europe in the 80's and even did it in East Asia where he got seriously sick and almost dyed. He return to usa when he was healed and went to the autograph signing with the other actors of Vogage TTBO the Sea like Del Monroe, Terry Baker and others. He was amazed he had followers even if his role on that show was a small one.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Westworld:

Season 2: a little bloated, but the themes and ideas were insane. Not as good as season 1, but still thought provoking and fun to watch.

There were strong episodes in season 4 though, more than season 3. I also think I'll have to rewatch the whole thing at some point.

I feel we're pondering too much what it's all about in the show. It's good to think, but by the time a new seasons come in I feel a bit lost. I watched a recap video during season 3 and it helped, but I skipped it this time. Probably should have watched one.

Anyway, I did enjoy season 4, but yeah season 1 was just something else. I remember at the time thinking "wow, this is the best show on the planet right now". It all felt like a leap forward in multiple aspects, storytelling, music, acting, etc. We can safely say it never surpassed that initial feeling, but I still feel we may see it as a complete story in the future and judge it less harshly than right now.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Didnt Heche have manic episodes where she was quite psychotic in the past? I haven't followed what was going on with her recently, but people become so disinhibited and lacking judgement they often start taking, retaking or exaggerating on substances to the point events like this can happen. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I wouldn't judge too quickly in her case. I know she had a lot of issues even beyond that though. She came from a broken home.
If I remember correctly she was molested by her dad or step-dad at home. We can say she had a rough start in life.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Westworld:

One thing I don't get is If you thought season 3 was a piece of crap, how on earth did you end-up watching season 4? I'm pretty sure it's not a wife thing either?

I guess you prefer the complete park experience over the Synth dystopia as the series is pretty much split between these two currents. As an Asimov fan, I loved both parts. As a an avid student of behavioral biology, like most sci-fi shows, it made me cringe (oddly, except for Raised by Wolves).

Although I hated a lot of the story choices as the show went on, it's still a TV masterpiece.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I enjoyed the ending of BCS. It delivered an outcome that looped the loop.

I would have liked to see them do alternate endings. It would be an entertaining option whenever a series has a long run, such as this one.
I didn't post this here to contradict you but simply because you brought up BCS. I found the series uneven. Lots of useless fillers and the last episode was meh although I do agree the outcome was unexpected. And what really grinded my gears was they played fast and loose with Jimmy's character. In Breaking Bad and the beginning of BCS he wasn't a total greedhead but all of a sound he becomes one towards the end of BCS' last season so they can set up that ending where he sacrifices himself for his ex. I found the show was flawed with the typical mistake made by many films and TV shows: characters' actions are dictated by the plot and not their motivation. Another example of that is Kim deciding to leave him.

P.S. I know I'm in a very small minority who feels this way.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Westworld:

Very much agree. After the first season it was trash

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I didn't post this here to contradict you but simply because you brought up BCS. I found the series uneven. Lots of useless fillers and the last episode was meh although I do agree the outcome was unexpected. And what really grinded my gears was they played fast and loose with Jimmy's character. In Breaking Bad and the beginning of BCS he wasn't a total greedhead but all of a sound he becomes one towards the end of BCS' last season so they can set up that ending where he sacrifices himself for his ex. I found the show was flawed with the typical mistake made by many films and TV shows: characters' actions are dictated by the plot and not their motivation. Another example of that is Kim deciding to leave him.

P.S. I know I'm in a very small minority who feels this way.
What the hell are you even talking about? Saul was always trying to raise his rates to Walt and Jessy in Breaking Bad. They didn't change his character.

Maybe you're just not good at interpreting character motivations, because it actually flows smootly. They set-up every motivations correctly. Jimmy is a conflicted character throughout BCS, for many reasons, chief among them are Chuck, Kim & Hugo and we see him change as he resolves those internal conflicts. Same for Kim, going through her mother, a con, and Jimmy, also a con. Kim leaving Jimmy after Hamelin is murdered by Lalo was entirely set-up through those internal conflicts she had. Through scenes with her mother and through her relationship with Jimmy. Ffs, she almost left him before when he flew off the handle and made his big show in front of Kevin Wachtell.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What the hell are you even talking about? Saul was always trying to raise his rates to Walt and Jessy in Breaking Bad. They didn't change his character.

Maybe you're just not good at interpreting character motivations, because it actually flows smootly. They set-up every motivations correctly. Jimmy is a conflicted character throughout BCS, for many reasons, chief among them are Chuck, Kim & Hugo and we see him change as he resolves those internal conflicts. Same for Kim, going through her mother, a con, and Jimmy, also a con. Kim leaving Jimmy after Hamelin is murdered by Lalo was entirely set-up through those internal conflicts she had. Through scenes with her mother and through her relationship with Jimmy. Ffs, she almost left him before when he flew off the handle and made his big show in front of Kevin Wachtell.
Sorry, I put a tiny dent in that ego of yours and got your feathers all ruffled up. Apparently according to you your interpretation is the right one.

In Breaking Bad Jimmy was bending over backward to take care of his mentally disturbed brother. That's one example of where Jimmy wasn't selfish and self-centered. As for your weak sauce analysis of Kim, please. You don't become a con because your mom was one. She was attracted and chose Jimmy because she was a con. It means he gave her an outlet for what she had in her. Her leaving Jimmy was a deus ex machina. The story needed her to leave him so they plotted it that way without any credible motivation.

But as I said in my original post, I realize I am in the minority but that wasn't good enough for your damn ego.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Sorry, I put a tiny dent in that ego of yours and got your feathers all ruffled up. Apparently according to you your interpretation is the right one.
But as I said in my original post, I realize I am in the minority but that wasn't good enough for your damn ego.
That's a little rough. :laugh:

What I found fascinating about Kim was her seemingly lack of emotion in her relationship with Jimmy.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Loved the Finale. My favourite show of all time I think. It’s pretty close.

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Westworld:

This is where I differ. I couldn’t get into any of it. Season 1, I watched because everyone kept saying how good it was and it just didn’t do anything for me. I started season 2 and thought it was worse than season 1 which I thought was already barely watchable.

Everyone enjoyed season 1 for the most part, so it might have been a time in my life when I just couldn’t get into it. I think I’ll revisit it and see if my opinion changes.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Last thread was a tad over 1000 posts.

So let's start this a repost of my take on (...of all things) Wild Things. It's probably gonna age superbly.

-----

I just watched a great piece of art that I had somehow missed in my teen years.

Wild_things_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

This was ... not as "so bad it's good" as what I've been hinted; they clearly wanted to go full-sleaze and really nailed it. It's actually a decent movie and as far as I'm concerned nowhere near bad enough to warrant the "So bad it's good" tag. Denise Richards can't act but it's not why she's in the movie anyways. What's with that ridiculous blue 1-piece swimsuit anyways? (you can google it; I don't think I can post this)
This also has to be one of the most ridiculously and uselessly convoluted plot it ends up in borderline comedic territory, and you may probaly safely drop the "borderline".

It's totally trashy, it's totally a bad taste movie, but it's enjoyable.
I used to think Denise Richards was hotter in my youth, but I have such a crush on Neve Campbell these days…. Something about her just makes her absolutely perfect.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I used to think Denise Richards was hotter in my youth, but I have such a crush on Neve Campbell these days…. Something about her just makes her absolutely perfect.
I think they wanted to give her something of a trash look for this one but ended up giving her solid goth-ish feel instead.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Watching Beast tonight… wish me luck
So it's not a good movie, I would've enjoyed it for free on Netflix on a boring summer night when everyone else is asleep and the wife has a headache.

Seriously, I went in knowing what it was, but the movie start kinda realistic, and it goes downhill for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad