OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So it's not a good movie, I would've enjoyed it for free on Netflix on a boring summer night when everyone else is asleep and the wife has a headache.

Seriously, I went in knowing what it was, but the movie start kinda realistic, and it goes downhill for no reason.
Phew lol, thanks
Bullet Train was much more fun

Reactions: sandviper

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Watched Uncharted yesterday.
Everything about this movie was bland. From the uninspired music and writing to the uncharismatic acting.

Very forgettable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Watched Uncharted yesterday.
Everything about this movie was bland. From the uninspired music and writing to the uncharismatic acting.

Very forgettable.

Very forgettable is actually a compliment for movies based on video game. I wish I could forget the Legend of Chun-Li and so many others...

• Haha
Reactions: ArtPeur

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched and enjoyed Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead on Netflix, and am looking forward to the sequel. It's very much a Snyder movie in that it emphasizes themes such as revenge and the quasi-pointlessness of heroism. People make sacrifices and, and/or get saved but ultimately it doesn't matter because the world is going to shit with momentum. The action set pieces and the cinematography were gorgeous.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It was a solis episode last night but now I have a question…

Did Dany knew about the long winter, did her brother pass along that info like the “tradition”

It was indeed a great start.....but I also have tons of questions about the dragons and the winters but it's only the 1st one, this start would have been better with 2 episode dropping off at the same time

Reactions: OldCraig71

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Received a few installments of this show,different,but had enough laughs to keep watching. The premise of the show is based on actual environmental disaster but don't let that dissuade from watching.

download (2).jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was a solis episode last night but now I have a question…

Did Dany knew about the long winter, did her brother pass along that info like the “tradition”
Do you mean the Long night? If so yeah, its a historic event that lead to the building of the wall by Bran the Builder (Stark ancestor.)

I didnt watch the first episode yet, so be gentle.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Very forgettable is actually a compliment for movies based on video game. I wish I could forget the Legend of Chun-Li and so many others...
In general yes, but I loved the new Mortal Kombat and liked the Sonic movies. Other than that....

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I watched and enjoyed Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead on Netflix, and am looking forward to the sequel. It's very much a Snyder movie in that it emphasizes themes such as revenge and the quasi-pointlessness of heroism. People make sacrifices and, and/or get saved but ultimately it doesn't matter because the world is going to shit with momentum. The action set pieces and the cinematography were gorgeous.

...there's also a Prequel movie for Army of the Dead called Army of Thieves...was pretty good, worth a watch as well...

Reactions: Mrb1p and Runner77

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
In general yes, but I loved the new Mortal Kombat and liked the Sonic movies. Other than that....

The Mario Bros movie?

1280x720.jpg

:naughty:

The last Tomb Raider movie was pretty good imo. It was pretty close to the new game series they made.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's good to be back in Westeros......

It's gonna be an interesting series that'll live on just because it will be all so familiar, right back into that world, but so far, there are very few great characters. It's going to be hard to match Martin's gallery of characters.

I have more faith in the new LOTR series. Characters seem more intetesting based on the lenghty trailers.

Can't wait to see how they'll finish off Umbrella.

Lemme guess, JDM will play Butcher's father?

...there's also a Prequel movie for Army of the Dead called Army of Thieves...was pretty good, worth a watch as well...

The prequel was much better. And funny.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Do we know who hes been cast as?

It's gonna be an interesting series that'll live on just because it will be all so familiar, right back into that world, but so far, there are very few great characters. It's going to be hard to match Martin's gallery of characters.

I have more faith in the new LOTR series. Characters seem more intetesting based on the lenghty trailers.

Can't wait to see how they'll finish off Umbrella.

Lemme guess, JDM will play Butcher's father?

The prequel was much better. And funny.
Martin already wrote out all these characters in his many EU books including the novel fire and blood and the princess and the queen, Daemon is a very fledged out character from all of those.

Aegon Rivers, Brynden Rivers are also pretty fledged out.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I saw the 3 last episode of A Model Family last night. A South Korean mafia thriller of 10 episodes. It's good, 7,8 on 10 is my note. Some flaws but some more things overall. Some critics says the acting is inconstant but I don't think so. The camera shots are a bit different, the use of the light too. Most close-ups are from profil rather than facing the camera. The story have a lot of rebounds, sometimes 3 per episode. It's catching. I was hooked like my friend who was listening that serie from the beginning.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I saw the 3 last episode of A Model Family last night. A South Korean mafia thriller of 10 episodes. It's good, 7,8 on 10 is my note. Some flaws but some more things overall. Some critics says the acting is inconstant but I don't think so. The camera shots are a bit different, the use of the light too. Most close-ups are from profil rather than facing the camera. The story have a lot of rebounds, sometimes 3 per episode. It's catching. I was hooked like my friend who was listening that serie from the beginning.

Personally, I don't think the acting is inconsistent per se, rather that most Koreans overact a lot and characters tend to be caricatures because of that. The best example of that is Kim Joo-Ryung who plays the cray-cray lady in Squid Game. She's the queen of Korean overacting. Every movie or series I've seen her in, she's overacting.

The worst of their overacting is in their zombie movies. Koreans make the worst zombies ever. Train to Busan was great, still, a lot of the zombies felt more like escaped violent scitzos than mindless flesh eaters.

Related bit... I introduced my wife to Breaking Bad and Ozark (and BCS) and she couldn't get into them, telling me cartel and mafia stories aren't her thing (unless there's Pedro Pascal somewhere in there, she did watch and enjoy the original Narcos). So yesterday, she's browsing Netflix and we both read the description for A Model Family. My first reaction is thinking "wow that sounds like the Korean knockoff of Breaking Bad or Ozark" and my wife, she tells me "oh, it's Korean, so it should be good". I'm like "Are you f***ing shitting me?" She:"What's the problem?" "Well, for one, you skipped on three of the best drama shows I've ever seen because, apparently, you don't like cartel and mafia shows unless there's lovely Pedro in it, but hey, it's a f***ing knockoff of Breaking Bad and Ozark, but since it's friggin Korean, it haaas to be good, right?"

She was a bit embarassed when she realized her bias. So from now on, whenever she'll tell me something looks good, I'll tell her "it has to be Korean, right?"

First salvo today. My wife is petting our dog, she tells it "you're such a good dog". As i'm passing by "she must be a Korean dog"

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Personally, I don't think the acting is inconsistent per se, rather that most Koreans overact a lot and characters tend to be caricatures because of that. The best example of that is Kim Joo-Ryung who plays the cray-cray lady in Squid Game. She's the queen of Korean overacting. Every movie or series I've seen her in, she's overacting.

The worst of their overacting is in their zombie movies. Koreans make the worst zombies ever. Train to Busan was great, still, a lot of the zombies felt more like escaped violent scitzos than mindless flesh eaters.

Related bit... I introduced my wife to Breaking Bad and Ozark (and BCS) and she couldn't get into them, telling me cartel and mafia stories aren't her thing (unless there's Pedro Pascal somewhere in there, she did watch and enjoy the original Narcos). So yesterday, she's browsing Netflix and we both read the description for A Model Family. My first reaction is thinking "wow that sounds like the Korean knockoff of Breaking Bad or Ozark" and my wife, she tells me "oh, it's Korean, so it should be good". I'm like "Are you f***ing shitting me?" She:"What's the problem?" "Well, for one, you skipped on three of the best drama shows I've ever seen because, apparently, you don't like cartel and mafia shows unless there's lovely Pedro in it, but hey, it's a f***ing knockoff of Breaking Bad and Ozark, but since it's friggin Korean, it haaas to be good, right?"

She was a bit embarassed when she realized her bias. So from now on, whenever she'll tell me something looks good, I'll tell her "it has to be Korean, right?"

First salvo today. My wife is petting our dog, she tells it "you're such a good dog". As i'm passing by "she must be a Korean dog"
There is very few overact that looks like caricature and it explains why I give a 7,8 on 10 and not 9,5. Another flaw is the lack of rythm but at the 2 last episodes situation resolve so the rythm is good. Mobs tends to have that badass attitude just the way they smoke their cigarette. I have to confess my friend and I were confused at the end when two main characters have a deadly fight and they looked so much alike. We were asking ourselves who won. My friend had the same problem between the wife of the character and the policewoman but I knew they had different faces.

A detail that is interresting : the main character is a litterature teacher and he think about some quotes of famous writer to understand what's going on with this mess in his life. But there wasn't enough of that. It looks like mobs doesn't have many guns in South Korea. The first shootings happens in episode 8 or 9. This is more a psychology thriller. Your wife might like that serie more than you, lol.

edit : some more details about the characters. The teacher anybody will find him just too undecided and coward to be seen on tv. The wife of the teacher, you and your wife are gonna hate her badly. You will want to throw anything in your room at the tv set, lol. The two children are lovely. The grandfather who is hired by the police to spy his son is great. I like this actor, he looks like Bruce Lee at 60 yrs old with a cool flow natural acting. The obsessed policewoman who tries hard to catch them is great too. I don't think she overact. Those two actresses have the hardest part of the serie. The policewoman seems like one of the most skilled actress of South Korea of her generation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad