OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
I just finished Moon Knight.
Was okay.

I started She-Hulk, pretty good. I like the Emil Blomsky rehabilitation arc. Its something thats touched on often in the comics but not so much in the MCU. The 7 concubines is a bit dumb but the premise is realistic.
When he is talking about his "seven soulmates" , the theory is that he is talking about Thunderbolts which is the last movie in Phase 5 of the MCU which is in just little less than 2 years from now.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lol They weren't dead. They were only dead in the flashforward scenes in the last season, which was their common purgatory that led them to meet in the church in the end. They all died at different times, but once dead, joined their common purgatory. That's why Ben can't move on yet, he still has to atone for what he did on the island. Everything else, they were alive. On the island, thry were alive. Christian even tells Jack in the church "everything that happened on that island was real" and the show finishes with Jack dying on the island after defeating the smoke monster. This is the most common interpretation and it's the one Lindelof said was true.

Here: "The final reveal that the flash-sideways interludes were actually a glimpse into the shared afterlife that the survivors created for each other well after their deaths — some in previous episodes, some long after the events of the finale — may have been too much to throw at audiences at the time. It was easy to mistake the (admittedly vague) explanation of how the action on the island took place before the events of the seemingly alternate universe, which is how the "They were dead the whole time!" narrative became the prevailing interpretation of the finale among some circles."

Read More: Lost Ending Explained: No, They Weren't Dead The Whole Time ... But They Weren't Really Living, Either - /Film
The fact that it is still being talked about/debated all these years later definitely says that nothing was clear about the way it ended. It could have been partially revealed leading up to the end but it wasn't, instead, we were left trying to figure it all out and debate and argue about wtf was going on. I was on one of the Lost message boards back in the day, like 2 months after the series ended and nothing was clear but most viewers were frustrated and letdown from what they saw, just like the HF habs fanbase lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When he is talking about his "seven soulmates" , the theory is that he is talking about Thunderbolts which is the last movie in Phase 5 of the MCU which is in just little less than 2 years from now.
Ahh interesting. If its Thunderbolt Ross's iteration he wouldnt need a lawyer though, I think.

Tough to hide Abomination though NGL.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Really liked those movies and watch them from time to time.

Movies I had on repeat as a kid and teen:

ET
The entire Asterix collection
The Goonies
Back to the Future trilogy
Star Wars trilogy
Ghostbusters 1&2
Predator 1&2
Total Recall (Paul Verhoven is incredible)
Starship Troopers
Terminator 1&2
Alien trilogy
Young Guns 1&2
Ace Ventura
The Mask
Akira
Rumble in the Bronx
Super Cop series
Drunken Master
The Crow
Pulp Fiction
Jurassic Park 1&2 (the books too)
The Shawshank Redemption
The Hudsucker Proxy

Movies i used to re-watch endlessly in my 20's and early 30's, but don't anymore:

The Frighteners
The Network
The original Planet of the Apes movie series
LOTR trilogy
Fight Club
Die Hard With a Vengeance
Get Shorty
The Whole Nine Yards (i mean, really, Arquette, Peet and Henstrige, sha-wing!)
Revenge of the Sith
Pirates of the Caribbeans
Trainspotting
Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy (re-read it often too)
No Country for Old Men
Burn After Reading
Bourne trilogy
Matrix trilogy + Animatrix
Bruce Almighty
Liar Liar
Man on the Moon
Truman Show
The Office
Idiocracy
In the Nick of Time
American History X
Thank You for Smoking
Dark Knight trilogy
The Prestige

Movies I still rewatch yearly:

Shawshank Redemption
Total Recall
Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
Infinity saga part 1&2
Prometheus trilogy (even though it could be far better)
The Silver Lining Playbook
Joy
The Founder

I'm more into re-watching TV series lately. In the last few years, I've re-watched:

Lost (yes, I know, don't comment)
X-Files
Better Call Saul (first 5 seasons, at least 5 times each)
Breaking Bad
Shameless
Seinfeld
Black Sails (im a sucker for the Golden age and anything in the west indies)
GoT
Lost was sone outstanding TV for 2 seasons for sure. I can’t go back to it now. I like that you included Back to the Future. I can watch them over and over for some reason too.

Lots of Jim Carrey on your list. Some Edward Norton, good lists.

For me, I don’t have many that I rewatch, but there are some:

Young guns 1 and 2
Back to the future
A Few Good Men
Shawshank Redemption
Crimson Tide
Enemy of the state
Primal Fear
Mystic River

The above are my never get tired of list. I’m a pretty big fan of Gene Hackman. I used to have a Gene Hackman night.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Lost was sone outstanding TV for 2 seasons for sure. I can’t go back to it now. I like that you included Back to the Future. I can watch them over and over for some reason too.

Lots of Jim Carrey on your list. Some Edward Norton, good lists.

For me, I don’t have many that I rewatch, but there are some:

Young guns 1 and 2
Back to the future
A Few Good Men
Shawshank Redemption
Crimson Tide
Enemy of the state
Primal Fear
Mystic River

The above are my never get tired of list. I’m a pretty big fan of Gene Hackman. I used to have a Gene Hackman night.
Excellent list. And as a Gene fan, I’d add Unforgiven too.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There was one movie that I forgot to mention, I have watched it three times. American Made was one of my favorite TC movies, it cast him in a way that we have not really seen him in the past and he handled it beautifully.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Speaking of old series, I found the original Kung Fu with David Carradine. I've watched two and it brought back so many memories, was a great series. And then he became Bill and lost. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Is that your way of telling us that every year you sit down and put your feet up, between a tub of pistachio ice cream and a big box of kleenex, to watch Ghost and lip synch every line of the movie?

What am I saying... Ghost. In your case, it's probably Scent of a Woman or Pretty Woman. Something that has a Roy Oborson song, for some reason.

...nope...Braveheart...

...gets me misty every time...:cry:

...that and Old Yeller...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have forgotten so many movies that I have watched over the years but some of my faves are:
-Life is beautiful
-Gladiator
-Shawshank Redemption
- Fury
-Silence of the lambs
-Good will hunting
-Catch me if you can
-The Truman show
-The curious case of Benjamin Button
-Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

As for tv, well,

-Lost( Still pissed off by the way it ended)
-GOT
-Curb your enthusiasm
-Seinfeld
-Ozark
-Shameless seasons 1-6
-Chappelle Show
-Mad Men
- The Walking dead up till season 5, gave up after that.

I have left out some but those are the ones I recall. Cheers.
There isn’t a year I don’t watch The Shawshank Redemption and The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 version — there were 2 other prior productions). The musical score in the latter, is exquisite.

I’ll occasionally jump in on Bourne (only the ones with Matt Damon).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of old series, I found the original Kung Fu with David Carradine. I've watched two and it brought back so many memories, was a great series. And then he became Bill and lost. :laugh:
Carradine was iconic in that.

« If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, time for you to leave. »

Classic!

Reactions: peate

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
There isn’t a year I don’t watch The Shawshank Redemption and The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 version — there were 2 other prior productions). The musical score in the latter, is exquisite.

I’ll occasionally jump in on Bourne (only the ones with Matt Damon).
I've never seen the 2002 version. I love the Depardieu French version.

Movies I watch once a year
LOTR extended version every Boxing Day
Goodfellas
Casablanca
12 Angry Men
Charlie Chaplin marathon day
Field of Dreams
Tokyo Story
Au Hasard Balthazar - Great Bresson film
In the Heat of the NIght

Also have MCU days where we'll watch one series.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've never seen the 2002 version. I love the Depardieu French version.
The 3 versions I referred to were English language adaptations. Saw them all but not the Depardieu version.

The Depardieu version is available on YouTube, just found it. Not sure if all of it is there:

Speaking of French movies, my favorite is a 1963 gangster comedy flick called Les Tontons Flingueurs featuring Lino Ventura. Hilarious.

Last edited:

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
The 3 versions I referred to were English language adaptations. Saw them all but not the Depardieu version.

The Depardieu version is available in its entirety on YouTube, just found it:

Speaking of French movies, my favorite is a 1963 gangster comedy flick called Les Tontons Flingueurs featuring Lino Ventura. Hilarious.

Speaking of funny French films , I highly recommend these:

Les Vacances de M.Hulot
Mon Oncle
Le Diner des Cons (sure most have seen this)

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
;'/Carradine was iconic in that.

« If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, time for you to leave. »

Classic!
Not to nitpick, but it's " When you can...". But before you go, you gotta grab a red hot cauldron using your arms only, and thus burn two dragons into your skin. I've watched three more, now I'm hooked.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Under the Banner of Heaven.

Anyone watched this. I peeked at the 1st episode, disturbing is putting it mildly

I did....I'm a sucker for things based on a true stories so I loved it.
Dark slow paced series based on gruesome murders within religious group.
Acting was excellent.

Speaking of funny French films , I highly recommend these:

Les Vacances de M.Hulot
Mon Oncle
Le Diner des Cons (sure most have seen this)

Will add Tais-Toi on that list, a classic for me in the same category as Diner de cons

Reactions: peate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not to nitpick, but it's " When you can...". But before you go, you gotta grab a red hot cauldron using your arms only, and thus burn two dragons into your skin. I've watched three more, now I'm hooked.
Modern version: « when » you can understand why pizza is made round, packed in a square box, and eaten in a triangle, time for you to leave. :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
HoD ep2 already has me hooked on the series. Goddammit HBO!

Side note..tried to watch Jurassic Park 3...didn't get halfway. Complete caca.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Bought tickets this weekend for the IMAX re-release of Jaws. Kids are excited.

I go to pay and each ticket is... three bucks each! Saturday is some kind of Cinema day. Don't know if it's only Ontario but holy smokes, I haven't paid 3 bucks to see a movie since the 80s.

Jaws btw, is a near perfect movie. Yes at the end the shark does look kind of fake but in the Estuary... damn, it's the stuff of nightmares. And I love the Spielberg broke all the rules. Dogs, kids... nobody is safe in this film. And the shark kills people in front of a packed beach. You NEVER feel safe.

My son's first time seeing it. He's scared but I know he's wanted to see it for a long time. Going to be a fun ride. The re-release is only for a week. It's in IMAX or in 3D. Just cool to see it back in theatres.

Jaws imax.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dinodebino

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bought tickets this weekend for the IMAX re-release of Jaws. Kids are excited.

I go to pay and each ticket is... three bucks each! Saturday is some kind of Cinema day. Don't know if it's only Ontario but holy smokes, I haven't paid 3 bucks to see a movie since the 80s.

Jaws btw, is a near perfect movie. Yes at the end the shark does look kind of fake but in the Estuary... damn, it's the stuff of nightmares. And I love the Spielberg broke all the rules. Dogs, kids... nobody is safe in this film. And the shark kills people in front of a packed beach. You NEVER feel safe.

My son's first time seeing it. He's scared but I know he's wanted to see it for a long time. Going to be a fun ride. The re-release is only for a week. It's in IMAX or in 3D. Just cool to see it back in theatres.

View attachment 580602

Just reading Jaws and then "in 3D" and I get a flashback of back to the future 2:

Eutv8-En-Vg-AAo5e3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad