OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We're in a world where celebrities are held up in reverance as if they cured cancer.
That I know, I mean.. Say David Bowie, Im a huge fan of his music and think he was somewhat of a musical genius. Big fan, but I don't have that kind of relationship with anyone that I don't know personally.

So now you go to Alex Trebek, kind of a cool guy, francophone, succesful, etc... But.. ? The reactions seem disproportionate here, I don't know ?

I mean I read his wikipedia and this seemed pretty relevant ...

In late 2001 during Jeopardy!'s 18th season, Trebek shaved the mustache that he had worn for over 30 years. He wore a fake mustache for the first half of the April 1, 2008, episode as an April Fools' joke.[59] In summer 2014, Trebek regrew the mustache for the 31st season of Jeopardy!, only to shave it off again a month into the season.[60][61] Trebek grew out a full beard at the beginning of the 2018 season, shaving it down to a goatee for the second episode and a mustache by the second week, and the next day was clean-shaven again.[

Is this like the Kardashians but for middle-aged white men ?

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I may be too young to understand the appeal of Jeopardy and Alex Trebek, some of you are acting like he's a nobel prize winner, no disrespect intended to him as a person.

Why is he having that much impact on your lives ? And I mean no disrespect, I genuinely want to understand.

This feels a lot like Bourdain, but at least I could see Bourdains struggles being a driver for how he was perceived.

Trebek was a part of peoples's lives every day for over 30 years. It's like losing a member of the family.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We're in a world where celebrities are held up in reverance as if they cured cancer.
I just admire the man and I watched him for many years and I certainly was a fan, how does that mean that I worship him? I also think that throwing out the cancer reference is a tad bit insensitive Oz, I have lost family members to that terrible disease( you might have as well). We are just Trebek fans commenting and paying our respects in a movie and TV thread, nothing wrong with that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Trebek was a part of peoples's lives every day for over 30 years. It's like losing a member of the family.

Ive been listening to X and Y music for all my life and if they die tomorrow I won't have this reaction, or when Pierre Houde dies/retires I won't have this reaction either. Thats why its weird to me.

I just admire the man and I watched him for many years and I certainly was a fan, how does that mean that I worship him? I also think that throwing out the cancer reference is a tad bit insensitive Oz, I have lost family members to that terrible disease( you might have as well). We are just Trebek fans commenting and paying our respects in a movie and TV thread, nothing wrong with that.

So youre a fan... Of a game show host ? You admire.... A game show host ?

There's nothing wrong with commenting about his death and paying respects among you guys, but thats a lil tiny bit weird.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ive been listening to X and Y music for all my life and if they die tomorrow I won't have this reaction, or when Pierre Houde dies/retires I won't have this reaction either. Thats why its weird to me.

There's nothing wrong with commenting about his death and paying respects among you guys, but thats a lil tiny bit weird.

Man you... you really gotta stop lol.. this is just bad all over..

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Are you bored? Pick someone else to fight with or maybe you can look for some suggestions of things you can lift on a hockey message board because you are going stir crazy from not being able to get to a gym ( speaking of weird) because of covid. Weird coming from you is certainly rich.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

They opened yesterday's show with this:

Just saw a moving tribute by Chris Cuomo. He says that Trebek called him while he was going through Covid.

What I liked about him is that he used his fame to accomplish great things. He raised a lot of money for charity and got personally involved, never forgot his Canadian roots and he came across as a genuinely nice guy. From the tributes pouring in, he seems to have inspired many.

Lisa Laflamme this morning was mentioning how when Trebek was in Africa, the mother of a child came up to him and asked him to take her child with him as she told him, she would be unable to provide him with a better life. He never forgot that moment and often mentioned it -- he did a lot of good outside of his show but he didn't advertise it. He was always available to help out whenever he was solicited, and even when he wasn't.

It's not a prerequisite to be a fan of the show to underscore the life of a decent, good individual who represented Canada so well abroad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man you... you really gotta stop lol.. this is just bad all over..

Why, Im younger than most commenting on this, Ive never watched Jeopardy, or any game show for that matter, Im just trying to understand the reactions.

I guess I touched a nerve with the middle-aged white man, here, lmao.

Are you bored? Pick someone else to fight with or maybe you can look for some suggestions of things you can lift on a hockey message board because you are going stir crazy from not being able to get to a gym ( speaking of weird) because of covid. Weird coming from you is certainly rich.

Fight? Im literally trying to understand the emotions you guys are experiencing because, to me, it seems so... inconsequential? I'm trying to understand why you guys are so attached to this person, but I guess Peate is close to an explanation by saying he's been in your lives for decades which might explain things, also that the older generation watched more TV than my generation.

There's no reasons to get mad at someone asking for explanations, if youre not willing to comment, just move along.
With that said, don't you agree that the words you used are pretty strong for the man ? Runner describe him well, I think, don't know him one bit, but he did not use strong words like "fan" or "admired".

Also why are you calling me weird because I have a passion :laugh:

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I may be too young to understand the appeal of Jeopardy and Alex Trebek, some of you are acting like he's a nobel prize winner, no disrespect intended to him as a person.

Why is he having that much impact on your lives ? And I mean no disrespect, I genuinely want to understand.

This feels a lot like Bourdain, but at least I could see Bourdains struggles being a driver for how he was perceived.

It has nothing to do with the show perse. Empathy is a human emotion,being sad because someones had died,get it. Many millions of people have been watching him for decades and form an attachment to a person that they have come to like/love even if not knowing them personally.Many human beings even get emotional when a movie or tv character dies ,and that's fiction.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why, Im younger than most commenting on this, Ive never watched Jeopardy, or any game show for that matter, Im just trying to understand the reactions.

I guess I touched a nerve with the middle-aged white man, here, lmao.

Fight? Im literally trying to understand the emotions you guys are experiencing because, to me, it seems so... inconsequential? I'm trying to understand why you guys are so attached to this person, but I guess Peate is close to an explanation by saying he's been in your lives for decades which might explain things, also that the older generation watched more TV than my generation.

There's no reasons to get mad at someone asking for explanations, if youre not willing to comment, just move along.
With that said, don't you agree that the words you used are pretty strong for the man ? Runner describe him well, I think, don't know him one bit, but he did not use strong words like "fan" or "admired".

Also why are you calling me weird because I have a passion :laugh:
Taking a passing shot by calling people weird and then saying you were only looking for explanations is a tiny bit contradictory. Stick with lifting things and analyzing Phil Danault and leave us old weird fogies to discuss things that matter to us.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Have you not seen how mass populations react to artists dying?
1.6M people registered to attend Michael Jackson's funeral.
They filed up the staple center when Kobe passed.
Lennon...Elvis...Valentino...Ruth..Garland...etc..etc..

A lot of people get attached to celebrities, they've been part of their lives for a long time. Personally, RIP Trebek, I've never really watched Jeopardy, but not surprised by the blowback. Some people watched his show religiously. I was definitely upset when MJ died, my first record was Thriller and I fell in love with his music as a baby. So ya, it was a sad day, nothing weird about it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Started to watch the show with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost "The Truth Seekers". Really not bad so far, it mixes in horror and comedy effortessly about investigators of the paranormal. At one point I'm gonna watch 100 shows at the same time, there's always new ones coming in. Do the power-that-be want to control us with their entertainment?

Reactions: Milhouse40

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Have you not seen how mass populations react to artists dying?
1.6M people registered to attend Michael Jackson's funeral.
They filed up the staple center when Kobe passed.
Lennon...Elvis...Valentino...Ruth..Garland...etc..etc..

A lot of people get attached to celebrities, they've been part of their lives for a long time. Personally, RIP Trebek, I've never really watched Jeopardy, but not surprised by the blowback. Some people watched his show religiously. I was definitely upset when MJ died, my first record was Thriller and I fell in love with his music as a baby. So ya, it was a sad day, nothing weird about it.
I guess I just have a hard time relating because he was a game show guy, I kinda get being sad about Kobe, MJ and "greats" like this, because theres a bigger emotional link towards artists and athletes. I do remember my mom crying when Jean Paul II passed, which is on the same level of weird to me.

I didnt know one could feel this strong towards those entertainers, you learn everyday.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I guess I just have a hard time relating because he was a game show guy, I kinda get being sad about Kobe, MJ and "greats" like this, because theres a bigger emotional link towards artists and athletes. I do remember my mom crying when Jean Paul II passed, which is on the same level of weird to me.

I didnt know one could feel this strong towards those entertainers, you learn everyday.

Why does being a game show host merit less importance than a basketball player?
They're both in the entertainment business.

The majority of people have no clue who KB is, but everyone knows the Pope.

I cried when John Lennon died, and I cried when my best friend died at age 20. Does one count more than the other in my eyes? NO! They were both people I admired and I miss them both to this day.

Your lack of empathy is troubling.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why does being a game show host merit less importance than a basketball player?
They're both in the entertainment business.

The majority of people have no clue who KB is, but everyone knows the Pope.

I cried when John Lennon died, and I cried when my best friend died at age 20. Does one count more than the other in my eyes? NO! They were both people I admired and I miss them both to this day.

Your lack of empathy is troubling.

Because music and sports touch you in different ways than a game show.

I guess I have trouble being empathetic, but none of you have trouble with it, clearly youre all trying to understand my questioning.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We're all a little weird in our own way.

I have a soft spot for good people.

Whether they post here or not, whether they’re entertainers, celebrities or not.

Anyone who is a genuinely decent person and cares for others, should be celebrated. Trebek fell into that category for me.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Because music and sports touch you in different ways than a game show.

I guess I have trouble being empathetic, but none of you have trouble with it, clearly youre all trying to understand my questioning.

See thats where you seem a bit confused, music and sports touch YOU in a different way, and because they touch YOU a certain way doesnt mean its the same for everyone else nor does it mean you are in the "right" thinking it, nor is it a concrete point of view just because you're a little "younger" than some people. "its cool to be young" therefor its "cool to dismiss what older than me people think and hold value in" is a very popular way of thinking for EVERYone that was 25 once, but you AIN'T 25 forever.

Sports and music isnt more important than a knowledge game show, just as a game show that helps your intelligence isnt more important than music and sports
Its about what they mean to each different person.

And then thats where Empathy kicks in since you dont seem to understand what that means either, You have to look at it from someone elses shoes

Take away the fact he's "just a game show host" , he's a human being, father, grandfather that reached or touched the hearts of people all over the world in any fathomable way. SOME people clearly liked him, enjoyed what he brought and formed a sort of connection.
So he passes away, and people come out to express their condolences and their stories and share what they thought of him. Because he wasnt just a NOBODY, he was somebody.
And then you come in and start making light of peoples messages of sincere and condolences as if its "against the norm" to want to wish people farewell?, a person that meant something to them no less, its just puzzling

You probably had a grandfather yes? if he is not deceased great, but if he is, what you are doing is the equivalent of "oh your grandfather died? well..who cares really? why are you guys making such a big deal out of it, at least IM young!"

It just, it just looks bad is all.

For some reason there's always been this Stigma that surrounded Jeopardy as in if you show any sign of interest in it, you're a nerd, you're too old, and its just trivia.. but if it was just "some game show" it wouldnt be on TV for 60 years..
People like knowledge and theres nothing wrong with trying to acquire more and more each day

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This is the TV/Movie thread, Alex Trebek was a star on television, it seems normal to talk about his passing here. We looked forward to watching him on a nightly basis, my daughter became interested at age 1o, we recorded the shows that we could not watch live, it was a bonding time for us as a family, good clean entertainment and education at the same time. He also died with pancreatic cancer, a form of cancer that we know all too well, she lost her grandad to the same form of the disease so yeah, his death hit home for us on several different levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad