OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not going to lie, I shed a tear today upon hearing of his passing. We have been following his battle with Pancreatic cancer since day one and rooting for him along the way. RIP Mr Trebek, you will be sadly missed.

What a class act. I've never seen anyone say anything remotely negative about him.

He was quite the ambassador for Canada even if it was no longer his prime country of residence. However, he never forgot his homeland and made it a point to have questions about Canada appear regularly on his show (I'm assuming he had something to do with it as Canada generally, is not a subject of interest in US shows). He remained a proud Canadian and mentioned it whenever an occasion presented itself.

He exemplified the best of what it is to be a decent, respectful individual. I am certain that he has inspired many others to embrace the same outlook on life.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This was right after he announced his diagnosis publically.

Also, this one was a powerful moment that makes you realize he was special. It was from a few days ago (I believe his final episode before he passed away):

That was another of the many memorable exchanges on social media.

I just saw that they're going to air all the shows that he had taped in advance and that will run the show up to a finale that coincides with Christmas.

The man aged so well for someone who was on TV and TV is pretty unforgiving. He was definitely not your average 80 year old on his passing. God bless.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What a class act. I've never seen anyone say anything remotely negative about him.

He was quite the ambassador for Canada even if it was no longer his prime country of residence. However, he never forgot his homeland and made it a point to have questions about Canada appear regularly on his show (I'm assuming he had something to do with it as Canada generally, is not a subject of interest in US shows). He remained a proud Canadian and mentioned it whenever an occasion presented itself.

He exemplified the best of what it is to be a decent, respectful individual. I am certain that he has inspired many others to embrace the same outlook on life.
So true, he said that he wasn’t afraid to die because he had enjoyed a great life and had no regrets. I couldn’t believe that he was 80 but you could see how he was failing as the cancer progressed. My wife’s father died with pancreatic cancer and it was horrible and for Mr Trebek to hold up like he did said a lot about his character. He will be missed by millions of fans that loved him. 2020 can’t end soon enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What if they had some of the great Jeopardy champs take turns guest hosting for a while until they find a suitable replacement. Any ideas of who would be good as a permanent replacement? Please God, not Ryan Seacrest or some other Jabroni.

Probably going to replaced by Pierre McGuire.

All the categories will involve obscure background information of mostly inconsequential individuals. :sarcasm:

Trebek was asked about his successor and had someone in mind:

There have been a number of names floated around as possible replacements for Alex Trebek as the host for Jeopardy! Some fans have suggested Ken Jennings, the show’s reigning champion, while others have recommended CNBC’s David Faber, Alex Faust, Jeff Goldblum, or even Bryan Cranston.
Still, Trebek himself might have given a hint in 2018 as to whom he prefers as his eventual replacement. CNN Legal Analyst Laura Coates is a well-respected television personality and the one that Trebek has name-dropped her as a potential successor.

Coates was asked about the opportunity shortly after Trebek mentioned her name, and she admitted that as a “lifelong fan” of Jeopardy! she is “humbled and honored” by the fact that Trebek would consider her to step into his iconic shoes. Coates didn’t state outright that she would take the job, or if she is in talks with showrunners, but it is certainly an interesting possibility for Jeopardy! fans to consider.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So true, he said that he wasn’t afraid to die because he had enjoyed a great life and had no regrets. I couldn’t believe that he was 80 but you could see how he was failing as the cancer progressed. My wife’s father died with pancreatic cancer and it was horrible and for Mr Trebek to hold up like he did said a lot about his character. He will be missed by millions of fans that loved him. 2020 can’t end soon enough.

In his CBC interview from a year ago, he quipped that he was "tough" cause he played hockey. He never missed a show except on an occasion where he had no voice.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been scouring for background clips on Trebek. I found this one from last year. Not a fan of the interviewer and a lot of the questions are lame but still an interesting look into what went on behind the scenes of the show:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Howie Meeker passed away today .

Meeker would have received more attention had he passed on a different day. He was a Canadian icon all his own, he completely influenced how color commentators analyze hockey. He was a great teacher, his hockey school segments on the CBC were highly informative and ahead of their time.

I had lost track of him and only now realized that he was 97.

Most who were lucky to have seen him on Hockey Night in Canada, will remember his enthusiasm and his signature expressions.

2020 taking a huge swipe at the best of Canadiana, with Neil Peart, Alex Trebek and Howie Meeker leaving us. RIP.

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Btw, I had a sleepless night again so I started to watch a show from the UK about the the border and custom police in ports and in airports. It's a reality show and they blank out the faces of people who get caught smuggling. I binge watched 5 shows if show is the right word?. Maybe a live documentary is a better description.
It's on YT, I pay 12 bucks for YT because I hate commercials. Anyone here that have seen it?

They are a reverse propaganda show.:)

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't know if I have posted this already but my hometown has/had a handball team that was pretty good (division 2) and one player who later played for a division and also the national team. One time when I was watching them in the arena the achilles tendon ruptured for a player, when he did one of those jumps where they shoot when they are in the air because they jump into the goal zone and they are not allowed to step in there while still having the ball. You could actually hear it almost like a gun shot. Horrible.

Never understand why the sport never became more popular,it was even fun to watch.

I know that sound sadly,from the slopes though,never properly recovered. Thought it was the tree I hit,nope!

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'd like to learn that click language that those hunters and gatherers speak in Namibia and SA.

That's ambitious!:thumbu:

These films give some insight:

upload_2020-11-9_12-36-58.jpeg
upload_2020-11-9_12-37-11.jpeg

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
My nephew would look at me like im some kind of nerd, Id rather not :laugh:

Its not cool anymore, man.

My nephew became a fan of super-heroes by me bringing him to watch super-hero movies over the years. I think the first one was Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Then when there were special events in comics I would read them to him when I would babysit him or when he would come to my house(his parents never wanted him to read comics lol). I would read him the Death of Captain America or the first Civil War, World War Hulk stuff like that. He liked it but never went out of his way to read them alone or ask his parents for them. He was more of a hockey card collector. Then he became a big fan of the Walking Dead so as a gift I would buy him TWD comics in trades from time to time. He never really got into comics but everytime a super-hero movie come along, we see it together. And on his own he watched all the Marvel Netflix shows. His dad keeps getting frustrated that there are more and more super-hero movies that come out each year, he's like "when is this gonna end?".

Around the time of the Death of Captain America, I brought the comic to his house but I forgot it there. I have never seen the comic ever again. I asked his parents what came of it and they had no idea(right....). This comic must be worth like 50-75 dollars nowadays if not more. I felt like I had been shot in this stomach with Cap being my favorite hero and it was such an important event and the value of it....!

Reactions: Redux91 and Mrb1p

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As smart and witty as Trebek was, he was also a humble man who appreciated life’s simple pleasures.

He left graciously on his own terms — his last day is a reminder of the most important things — they’re within the grasp of most of us.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know whether it's the acting or the script but there's scenes in the Mandalorian that just feel... off. I guess it may attempt to be campy on purpose, like the older Star Wars movies.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't know whether it's the acting or the script but there's scenes in the Mandalorian that just feel... off. I guess it may attempt to be campy on purpose, like the older Star Wars movies.

Probably because this man's in charge:

MV5-BMDQy-OTgy-MTEt-NDJm-Ni00-Nz-Qz-LWE1-Nj-Ut-YThk-MTA4-ZTE4-Nz-I0-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-MDc2-NTEz.jpg

He's like... the Rudy of filmmakers. He gets it done, but with little elegance. Like using vaseline to join those damn pipes. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done. That's Jon Favreau in a nutshell (although, you'd have a hard time fitting Favreau in a nutshell).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Probably because this man's in charge:

MV5-BMDQy-OTgy-MTEt-NDJm-Ni00-Nz-Qz-LWE1-Nj-Ut-YThk-MTA4-ZTE4-Nz-I0-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-MDc2-NTEz.jpg

He's like... the Rudy of filmmakers. He gets it done, but with little elegance. Like using vaseline to join those damn pipes. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done. That's Jon Favreau in a nutshell (although, you'd have a hard time fitting Favreau in a nutshell).
He was Rudy‘s sidekick in the movie, so we know when he discovered the template for success.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
In addition to jeopardy itself, I liked those SNL Jeopardy skits with Sean Connery.

the pen is mightier
S words
An album cover
:laugh:

And to think Connery and Trebek died just 8 days apart. :(

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I may be too young to understand the appeal of Jeopardy and Alex Trebek, some of you are acting like he's a nobel prize winner, no disrespect intended to him as a person.

Why is he having that much impact on your lives ? And I mean no disrespect, I genuinely want to understand.

This feels a lot like Bourdain, but at least I could see Bourdains struggles being a driver for how he was perceived.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I may be too young to understand the appeal of Jeopardy and Alex Trebek, some of you are acting like he's a nobel prize winner, no disrespect intended to him as a person.

Why is he having that much impact on your lives ? And I mean no disrespect, I genuinely want to understand.

This feels a lot like Bourdain, but at least I could see Bourdains struggles being a driver for how he was perceived.

We're in a world where celebrities are held up in reverance as if they cured cancer.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad