OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I just admire the man and I watched him for many years and I certainly was a fan, how does that mean that I worship him? I also think that throwing out the cancer reference is a tad bit insensitive Oz, I have lost family members to that terrible disease( you might have as well). We are just Trebek fans commenting and paying our respects in a movie and TV thread, nothing wrong with that.

You're absolutely right, there's nothing wrong and I can appreciate the sentiment, but I was speaking more in general terms, we all do this, and it's our culture driving it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
See thats where you seem a bit confused, music and sports touch YOU in a different way, and because they touch YOU a certain way doesnt mean its the same for everyone else nor does it mean you are in the "right" thinking it, nor is it a concrete point of view just because you're a little "younger" than some people. "its cool to be young" therefor its "cool to dismiss what older than me people think and hold value in" is a very popular way of thinking for EVERYone that was 25 once, but you AIN'T 25 forever.

Sports and music isnt more important than a knowledge game show, just as a game show that helps your intelligence isnt more important than music and sports
Its about what they mean to each different person.

And then thats where Empathy kicks in since you dont seem to understand what that means either, You have to look at it from someone elses shoes

Take away the fact he's "just a game show host" , he's a human being, father, grandfather that reached or touched the hearts of people all over the world in any fathomable way. SOME people clearly liked him, enjoyed what he brought and formed a sort of connection.
So he passes away, and people come out to express their condolences and their stories and share what they thought of him. Because he wasnt just a NOBODY, he was somebody.
And then you come in and start making light of peoples messages of sincere and condolences as if its "against the norm" to want to wish people farewell?, a person that meant something to them no less, its just puzzling

You probably had a grandfather yes? if he is not deceased great, but if he is, what you are doing is the equivalent of "oh your grandfather died? well..who cares really? why are you guys making such a big deal out of it, at least IM young!"

It just, it just looks bad is all.

For some reason there's always been this Stigma that surrounded Jeopardy as in if you show any sign of interest in it, you're a nerd, you're too old, and its just trivia.. but if it was just "some game show" it wouldnt be on TV for 60 years..
People like knowledge and theres nothing wrong with trying to acquire more and more each day

You make a lot of assumptions that undermine your point while trying to make me look bad, and this will most likely get me infracted, so ill have to stop there.
Im not happy with this exchange I had and Id like it if you guys could reflect on what went wrong in this discussion, because I clearly came in a respectful manner.

Touchy subject I guess.

Reactions: DAChampion

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
We need to separate the person with the occupation. What a person does for a living has absolutely no connection to a person's worth in the eyes of others. If Alex Trebek sits at a piano and plays Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu flawlessely, he's still a game show host.

Take the time and watch a few episodes, maybe you'll see something we do.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I guess I just have a hard time relating because he was a game show guy, I kinda get being sad about Kobe, MJ and "greats" like this, because theres a bigger emotional link towards artists and athletes. I do remember my mom crying when Jean Paul II passed, which is on the same level of weird to me.

I didnt know one could feel this strong towards those entertainers, you learn everyday.

Sure man but that's just you because of maybe your age and what you're into.
Keep in mind, Trebek revived Jeopardy in 1984, during those days there wasn't netflix, prime, NFL game pass, heck, we didn't even have access to internet. Game shows were a lot more popular back then and Trebek became a big celebrity. It's no different than Bob Barker for ''The Price is Right'', who is still alive at 96.
I'm not into game shows so I'm not particularly touched here but I can see why others would be. He's a celebrity like any other. You'll care more about whoever you connect with, as simple as that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We need to separate the person with the occupation. What a person does for a living had absolutely no connection to a person's worth in the eyes of others. If Alex Trebek sits at a piano and plays Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu flawlessely, he's still a game show host.

Take the time and watch a few episodes, maybe you'll see something we do.

Im not disputing the fact that he was a good, interesting man. Just reading his wikipedia page seems to indicate he was.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure man but that's just you because of maybe your age and what you're into.
Keep in mind, Trebek revived Jeopardy in 1984, during those days there wasn't netflix, prime, NFL game pass, heck, we didn't even have access to internet. Game shows were a lot more popular back then and Trebek became a big celebrity. It's no different than Bob Barker for ''The Price is Right'', who is still alive at 96.
I'm not into game shows so I'm not particularly touched here but I can see why others would be. He's a celebrity like any other. You'll care more about whoever you connect with, as simple as that.

See, I connect with Joe Rogan but I dont see myself reacting in an emotional way when he passes, I dont have an emotional link towards his person, which is why, to me, it is hard to understand.

I just never really realised people got attached to that type of entertainment, and no, I dont mean this in a pejorative way.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You're absolutely right, there's nothing wrong and I can appreciate the sentiment, but I was speaking more in general terms, we all do this, and it's our culture driving it.
It's just the cancer reference came across as insensitive in my opinion, surely you can appreciate where I am coming from here.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
See, I connect with Joe Rogan but I dont see myself reacting in an emotional way when he passes, I dont have an emotional link towards his person, which is why, to me, it is hard to understand.

I just never really realised people got attached to that type of entertainment, and no, I dont mean this in a pejorative way.

I mean fine, but you can see how others would.
Bottom line is he is a celebrity, and he was a big one in the 80s and 90s when game shows were way more popular. He's also been a model one, not filled with controversies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ive been listening to X and Y music for all my life and if they die tomorrow I won't have this reaction, or when Pierre Houde dies/retires I won't have this reaction either. Thats why its weird to me.

So youre a fan... Of a game show host ? You admire.... A game show host ?

There's nothing wrong with commenting about his death and paying respects among you guys, but thats a lil tiny bit weird.

Are there any celebrities or major figures whose death would affect you?

How would you feel if Riptoe or Borturra died suddenly tomorrow?

Trebek was a fixture of TV for decades. He was on in the afternoons when people got home from school/work. Jeopardy is an iconic show, responsible for countless memes. Random people of high IQ/education talk about having auditioned for or been on Jeopardy. Trebek was also an element of constancy, he was doing the same exact things as everybody else changed.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Cure for aids, peace on earth, take your pick, it's a figure of speech.
Yeah but you used it in reference to those of us that have been paying our respects to Trebek and I quote: "We're in a world where celebrities are held up in reverance as if they cured cancer". I don't worship celebrities at all, i'd be willing to bet that none of the people paying respect in this thread are celebrity worshippers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Are there any celebrities or major figures whose death would affect you?

How would you feel if Riptoe or Borturra died suddenly tomorrow?

Trebek was a fixture of TV for decades. He was on in the afternoons when people got home from school/work. Jeopardy is an iconic show, responsible for countless memes. Random people of high IQ/education talk about having auditioned for or been on Jeopardy. Trebek was also an element of constancy, he was doing the same exact things as everybody else changed.
Not really no, thats why its a foreign concept to me. I mean, theres people Id love to meet/see perform, etc before they pass and that would be a bummer, but thats for selfish reasons rather than being emotionally attached to them.

But wouldnt it be... weird (Its not the word that I would want to use here, but its the only one that comes to mind right now) if I reacted in that way for the death of Rippetoe? I mean, great dude, funny and he seems to be a good man, but hes... insignificant a tad ? I dont know.

Obviously I am not trying to tell people how to react concerning these events, Im merely trying to understand the relationship these people had with someone like Trebek, because for all I know, I have never really felt that way towards a celebrity.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah but you used it in reference to those of us that have been paying our respects to Trebek and I quote: "We're in a world where celebrities are held up in reverance as if they cured cancer". I don't worship celebrities at all, i'd be willing to bet that none of the people paying respect in this thread are celebrity worshippers.

I was shopping at Toys R Us many moons ago, looking to buy some Power Ranger toys for Christmas. Standing a few feet away from me, looking at the same toys, was Céline Dion. I ignored her.

She drew closer to me and asked which of the toys I would recommend for her nieces and nephews. Only then did I speak to her. I happened to know which toys were which and those highest in demand. I provided her with an opinion. She thanked me and I left. I never even acknowledged her as anything more than a customer looking for help.

Not impressed by celebrities. I tend to look at the person and how they treat others. This is why I believe Trebek is worthy of accolades -- it's what he did with his time and the means he had -- he made a difference in the lives of others. I also very much like the fact that he was a humble man.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One other note. I enjoy little bits of info like this. From an interview in December 2019:

Despite his diagnosis, Alex Trebek is still hard at work taping episodes of “Jeopardy!” and investing time in his hobby: construction.

For 27 years, the Trebek family has lived in the same home, parts of which have been rebuilt by Alex Trebek himself. This year, he said he finally got around to remodeling Jean Trebek’s “corner of the house.”

“It has taken me 20 years to redo her corner of the house...and she has her office redone, her bathroom, her closet,” Alex Trebek said. “There are days when I wake up and feel strong. Yesterday I was up on the roof with my blower blowing all the pine needles off there. I got three bags full outside.”

'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek on outpouring of support for cancer battle: 'My gosh, it makes me feel so good'

There was also this gesture:

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not really no, thats why its a foreign concept to me. I mean, theres people Id love to meet/see perform, etc before they pass and that would be a bummer, but thats for selfish reasons rather than being emotionally attached to them.

But wouldnt it be... weird (Its not the word that I would want to use here, but its the only one that comes to mind right now) if I reacted in that way for the death of Rippetoe? I mean, great dude, funny and he seems to be a good man, but hes... insignificant a tad ? I dont know.

Obviously I am not trying to tell people how to react concerning these events, Im merely trying to understand the relationship these people had with someone like Trebek, because for all I know, I have never really felt that way towards a celebrity.
Whether you cared about him or not, when Poliquin passed away, the fitness community was very much touched by it. Same for when Glenn Pendlay lost his battle to cancer.
When Louie Simmons passes, I suspect a lot of people will be sad as well.
I was sad when Charles Poliquin passed even if I don't agree with everything he says and find him to be arrogant. It was still a big loss for the community.

Trebek was a celebrity, he's part of a community, and a lot of people look up to them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whether you cared about him or not, when Poliquin passed away, the fitness community was very much touched by it. Same for when Glenn Pendlay lost his battle to cancer.
When Louie Simmons passes, I suspect a lot of people will be sad as well.
I was sad when Charles Poliquin passed even if I don't agree with everything he says and find him to be arrogant. It was still a big loss for the community.

Trebek was a celebrity, he's part of a community, and a lot of people look up to them.
Yeah I guess i have empathy problems because I dont give a flying one about celebrities :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Isn't there someone whom you admire and respect for various reasons? Influence that rubbed off?
Long lasting relationship? Everyone has a special person in their lives, or maybe you haven't come across him/her yet.

As I said, there's people Ive been "bummed" to see pass, say David Bowie, who I would've loved to see live at least once in my life but its mostly for selfish reasons, not because Im attached to him.

I did have role models as a teenager that I really looked up to, Eric Claton, was basically a god in MrB1Ps teenage years, but when he passes, I don't think Ill feel too emotional about it, then again, I don't know.

Edit: As a teenager growing up in the 00s, I also obviously looked up to Jumbo Joe, Sid, Jagr, Ovi, Kovy, Kovy2, Markov, etc.

Especially for Ovi and Sid, that one is going to hurt somewhat when they retire, because I won't be watching them anymore, but Im not sure Id feel much when they pass, but then again, Ill be much older then (Hopefully for them and I.) so my relationship with those guys may have changed.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
As I said, there's people Ive been "bummed" to see pass, say David Bowie, who I would've loved to see live at least once in my life but its mostly for selfish reasons, not because Im attached to him.

I did have role models as a teenager that I really looked up to, Eric Claton, was basically a god in MrB1Ps teenage years, but when he passes, I don't think Ill feel too emotional about it, then again, I don't know.

Edit: As a teenager growing up in the 00s, I also obviously looked up to Jumbo Joe, Sid, Jagr, Ovi, Kovy, Kovy2, Markov, etc.

Especially for Ovi and Sid, that one is going to hurt somewhat when they retire, because I won't be watching them anymore, but Im not sure Id feel much when they pass, but then again, Ill be much older then (Hopefully for them and I.) so my relationship with those guys may have changed.
When I think of hockey players it's more a souvenir / memories thing. When the Rocket passed on, I was flooded with emotions, not because it was the Rocket, but for all the memories it brought back of me and my dad at my first hockey game and meeting the players after the game. Richard was my dad's idol. :nod:

I was sad when Béliveau died, and I'll probably choke up when the Flower kicks it. (unless I beat him to it) :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It depends what you consider being a celebrity. People can be celebrities without all the media attention. What interests you the most? Who is a leading edge in that field? Wouldn't that person's health mean anything to you?

It depends I guess. I think celebrities are mostly people who add entertainment value to the lives of people...so..singers, sports athletes, actors, TV show hosts, and the likes.

I think what you're talking about is more fame vs celebrity. Can you be famous without being a celebrity? The Pope is the most known figure in the world, is he a celebrity? Or is he just famous?

The big names in the fitness field aren't really considered celebrities because that requires a lot of media attention and there's very little of that, if at all, in that field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad