OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm stomped. Here I thought comic books were more than superhero stories. There's a difference between the two.

Equally stomped. I think in my quick edit to fix my initial post, I f***ed up and pasted your quote over the first part of it. I had said that I got a minute into the trailer of Utopia and noped out due to having already had my fill of virus dystopia content these days, but that it still looked better made than most comic book inspired stuff being done, particularly the capeshit which has saturated the market.

sry for confusion :help:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Intolerance is a movie everyone should watch at least once. They had the biggest set for that movie in 1916. Crazy!
temple-sequence-Babylon-Intolerance-DW-Griffith.jpg

The sets and the camera work for the time are absolutely nuts. The depth of fieid on some those shots seem crazy for even now. Incredible achievement.

Just watched a couple Kurosawa films. Seven Samurai and High and Low.

Seven Samurai was incredible. Saw it as a teen and I was kind of meh on it. I thought Rashomon was better at the time. SS completely deserves it's credit among the best films in world cinema. So entertaining. So poignant. Incredibly filmed. The performances are fantastic. I'm not incredibly well versed in cinema but I've poked around. I still think American Cinema is the best. But this film does what the best American films can do but pretty much do it better. Just such an incredible achievement. The bloody thing is 3 1/2 hours and not a second is wasted. No one can make a taut 3 1/2 hour film. No one's that good. Apparently Kurosawa is.

High and Low is another stunner. It's a detective crime drama that is absolutely gripping from start to finish. Again, 2 1/2 hours and it's thrilling the whole way through. I haven't seen a ton of Hitchcock but I don't even think he made films this thrilling during the same time period.

Reactions: a55p2

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Equally stomped. I think in my quick edit to fix my initial post, I f***ed up and pasted your quote over the first part of it. I had said that I got a minute into the trailer of Utopia and noped out due to having already had my fill of virus dystopia content these days, but that it still looked better made than most comic book inspired stuff being done, particularly the capeshit which has saturated the market.

sry for confusion :help:

NP

And I agree, too many capes

Also, it was refreshing seeing John Cusack back on the screen and really great as a villain, nonetheless. Give it a try when all this virus shit pipes down.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Didn't Bryan Singer already did that?
Ya...I just meant they really committed to the killing. I thought they were trying to reviving them after all the crappy ones, but no, they doubled down on their garbage. I think this was the worst one, and that says a lot because I hated the other previous ones.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The sets and the camera work for the time are absolutely nuts. The depth of fieid on some those shots seem crazy for even now. Incredible achievement.

Just watched a couple Kurosawa films. Seven Samurai and High and Low.

Seven Samurai was incredible. Saw it as a teen and I was kind of meh on it. I thought Rashomon was better at the time. SS completely deserves it's credit among the best films in world cinema. So entertaining. So poignant. Incredibly filmed. The performances are fantastic. I'm not incredibly well versed in cinema but I've poked around. I still think American Cinema is the best. But this film does what the best American films can do but pretty much do it better. Just such an incredible achievement. The bloody thing is 3 1/2 hours and not a second is wasted. No one can make a taut 3 1/2 hour film. No one's that good. Apparently Kurosawa is.

High and Low is another stunner. It's a detective crime drama that is absolutely gripping from start to finish. Again, 2 1/2 hours and it's thrilling the whole way through. I haven't seen a ton of Hitchcock but I don't even think he made films this thrilling during the same time period.

We could spend hours arguing over Wells vs Kurosawa.

À propos, since you're not a film student (or ex-), fun fact, SS was Lucas's inspiration for Star Wars, but most film classes ignore the huge amount of templar references in SW, which was the rallying point between SS and SW, as the Templar order had a lot of similarities with samurais, and also how both orders ended was similar.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ya...I just meant they really committed to the killing. I thought they were trying to reviving them after all the crappy ones, but no, they doubled down on their garbage. I think this was the worst one, and that says a lot because I hated the other previous ones.

I haven't seen it yet and not too sure I will.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We could spend hours arguing over Wells vs Kurosawa.

À propos, since you're not a film student (or ex-), fun fact, SS was Lucas's inspiration for Star Wars, but most film classes ignore the huge amount of templar references in SW, which was the rallying point between SS and SW, as the Templar order had a lot of similarities with samurais, and also how both orders ended was similar.

Oh wow. Yeah I actually think Welles might be my favourite film maker. Or at least I think he's objectively the best. I think he's as good a technician as anyone. And it just got better. F is For Fake and the Other Side of the Wind were just so well put together (I need to watch the latter again. Hell, the former too). Touch of Evil and the Trial are fantastic as well. Now that I got the Criterion Channel, I can finish Mr. Arkadin. I was really enjoying it though it seems to be ranked pretty low in his oeuvre. The DVD was scratched when I first saw it.

I've actually heard that Hidden Fortress is the more obvious inspiration for Star Wars. I'll try and dig up that Lucas interview where he says that.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh wow. Yeah I actually think Welles might be my favourite film maker. Or at least I think he's objectively the best. I think he's as good a technician as anyone. And it just got better. F is For Fake and the Other Side of the Wind were just so well put together (I need to watch the latter again. Hell, the former too). Touch of Evil and the Trial are fantastic as well. Now that I got the Criterion Channel, I can finish Mr. Arkadin. I was really enjoying it though it seems to be ranked pretty low in his oeuvre. The DVD was scratched when I first saw it.

I've actually heard that Hidden Fortress is the more obvious inspiration for Star Wars. I'll try and dig up that Lucas interview where he says that.

Because the scripts outline are similar, but the inspiration for the jedi order comes from SS and the Templar Knights.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I have absolutely no idea who she is, nor have I ever seen her but wow! Born in the 18 hundreds and lived to 100? (Well okay, so she missed her 100th birthday by a few months, who's counting... Oh wait, I just did...).
I remembered her from a silent film I saw a long time ago. She was a great actress in that era.

MV5BMTU5Mjk1MzcwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzY4NzI2._V1_UY1200_CR150,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Reactions: angusyoung

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Billions is really good. It's getting a little long in the tooth as a series but it's probably the last of the 'must see' series that I've been watching in recent years.

There's something about Damian Lewis' face I just can not stand. I got about an episode in and tapped. I might give it another shot, though. Giamatti always gives it 100%.

Reactions: Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
There's something about Damian Lewis' face I just can not stand. I got about an episode in and tapped. I might give it another shot, though. Giamatti always gives it 100%.

Ditto, he looks like a DB prick. He's like Tobey Stephens's butt-ugly evil clone.

Altho, i have to admit, he'd be my first pick for doing Hank Scorpio in a live action Simpsons flick. Those stills I saw from Billions, ffs it's almost like he tailored the look on Scorpio.

Reactions: overlords

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Damn! I was going to watch it. Well, saved from a disappointment.
There are way more people on imdb who liked it than panned it. So don't take our review as gospel truth. I was really surprised. When I see a high score on IMDB, I usually end up liking the flick. What really got me was the terrible screenplay. It felt like I was in film school again and watching some sophomore's idea of deep and penetrating.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a pretty wicked show.

We've been spoiled for a while now. GOT, Breaking Bad, The Good Place... there have been a bunch of shows that I've enjoyed. Right now though there seems to be a bit of a void.

Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Billions is really good. It's getting a little long in the tooth as a series but it's probably the last of the 'must see' series that I've been watching in recent years.

Also one at the top of my list right now. Giamatti and Lewis are a great duo, great acting.

He's got a weird face, I admit but he's a great actor.
But for me Lewis it's Band of Brother, Homeland (season 1 and 2) and Billions...three of my favorite series, so it's hard to hate on him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not really no, thats why its a foreign concept to me. I mean, theres people Id love to meet/see perform, etc before they pass and that would be a bummer, but thats for selfish reasons rather than being emotionally attached to them.

But wouldnt it be... weird (Its not the word that I would want to use here, but its the only one that comes to mind right now) if I reacted in that way for the death of Rippetoe? I mean, great dude, funny and he seems to be a good man, but hes... insignificant a tad ? I dont know.

Obviously I am not trying to tell people how to react concerning these events, Im merely trying to understand the relationship these people had with someone like Trebek, because for all I know, I have never really felt that way towards a celebrity.

Personally when I am sad about a celebrity's death it has a lot to do sometime with the time and place in our lives when we appreciated the artist and it reminds us of that time and place, you know. It's a part of my past that dies. That's where the mourning comes. Like when Bowie died, I went back to my childhood when my cousin first made me discover Bowie and MTV and all that stuff. More innocent times. Bowie made me love my childhood more by doing so many cool songs at that time. He was the soundtrack of the movie about my life.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Also one at the top of my list right now. Giamatti and Lewis are a great duo, great acting.

He's got a weird face, I admit but he's a great actor.
But for me Lewis it's Band of Brother, Homeland (season 1 and 2) and Billions...three of my favorite series, so it's hard to hate on him.
Band of Brothers is a hidden gem. Great series.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched ''The New Mutants''...
Holy hell, they've really completely killed the X-Men series..

I haven't seen it yet and not too sure I will.

For me, XM1 and 2, First Class and DOFP were the best of the series.

The Wolverine was pretty good, but Logan I thought was excellent.

The rest were trash, especially Dark Phoenix. Haven’t seen New Mutants yet, but it would have to be a special kind of garbage if this was the worst.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For me, XM1 and 2, First Class and DOFP were the best of the series.

The Wolverine was pretty good, but Logan I thought was excellent.

The rest were trash, especially Dark Phoenix. Haven’t seen New Mutants yet, but it would have to be a special kind of garbage if this was the worst.

I only really liked Xmen 1 and The Wolverine. The rest were ''meh'', and I was terribly let down by Logan.
As for the kids one, I disliked them all, with Dark Phoenix and New Mutants as the absolute worst garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad