OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks, that is another reason to move there. :) With regards to our old rivalry there is a film by the Danish director Lars Von Trier called Riket (Riget in Danish) which basically means "The Kingdom". There is this Swedish doctor working in Denmark and one night he stands and look at the lights from the Swedish side and starts singing a song that is an homage to Sweden and then says: "Thank you Swedish watch tower, with plutonium we will force the Dane to his knee" (he means a nuclear reactor that is on the Swedish side that he actually looks at) "Here is Denmark, shat from lime and water, there is Sweden, cut out from granite." "Bloody Danes" (Danskjävlar) (In German Dänischteufel). Jävel means devil but it is a cuss word since in religious language we say Satan and the closest I can think of is the English Bloody Danes. In French maybe something like "Fils de pute Danois"? As I said, I really like the Danish and Denmark except when we play them in soccer and handball where we have great rivalries. In the last 20 years they have produced some decent hockey players, in the WC in 2003 they beat the US 5-2 and tied Canada (2-2). Don't know if they have ever beaten us, I know it has been close a few times. Before 2000, Norway was the 3rd best Nordic country in hockey but Denmark has been better in the last 20 years. Too bad their way of talking is so hard to understand, Swedes and Norwegians understand each other in spoken words quite good, but the writing in Norwegian is closer to the Danish writing. Norway was part of Denmark until 1658 when Denmark lost a war with Sweden and Sweden invaded Denmark. After that Norway was part of a union with Sweden that they broke on May the 17th, 1905. When I watch sports and Sweden is not involved I always support whatever Nordic country that is playing. Finland mainly in hockey, they have good rally drivers as well., Danish in soccer and handball and Norway in skiing, alpine and cross country, ski jumping. Finland is not technically a Scandinavian country (totally different language group) but it was part of Sweden for 800 years and according to the DNA test I did, I have about 40% of Finnish DNA. My grandfather that I never met was Finnish, his last name was Antilla, my grandmother was a so called Finn Swede, a Swedish named and Swedish speaking person who live in Finland and that had been there for hundreds of years. You can see that in hockey there are Finns with Swedish last names.

First time I think I saw anyone reference handball,great sport,loved playing it.:thumbu:

Danish and Dutch are very close in grammar and sound, fairly easy to follow if knowing one or the other.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Great story, acting and production all around.
If you know a little about chess, it will make it even better.

If you liked movies like Imitation game, Beautiful mind, Will Hunting....you'll probably love this one.

Really enjoyed it too(Queen's gambit). Finished it a few days ago. I always love a good movie/series about a genius mind. ...

I've binge-watched it one sitting, just couldn't move on from it.

It's everything the two posts above are saying. Inspiring story. Main character draws you right in.

I particularly enjoyed the many parts where the unexpected comes full circle -- just brilliant writing. All those pieces coming together at the end -- they weren't chess pieces, but emotionally-charged story fragments.

Now, back to Borgen (Netflix) -- loving that first season, am at Episode 5.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Like with any other genre, there's always something new and fresh to come out. I thought it was over for me and super-heroes after Endgame and the Justice League debacle but then I got into the Netflix Daredevil recently(which incidently is the best thing Marvel has ever done) and Swamp Thing(the best thing DC has done on TV) then The Boys 1 and 2 came along. Also the Witcher is sort fantasy super-hero in a way. And I got into Umbrella Academy last week. So there's always the new thing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
My preference in superhero movies pretty much reflects my comic book preference. It was mostly the big 3. Superman, Batman and Spiderman. Also like X-men movies.

Not me.

I've read many comics that weren't about super heroes, although I do have a huge spidey collection, almost everything spidey between 1990 and 2000, but my collection holds many comics that are outside the typical superhero realm

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had these goalie figurines from 20 years ago. I didn’t care for them, they had been in boxes for years, unopened.

So I decided to give them away to my nieces and nephew, all of them in one family. I couldn’t believe how overcome with joy they were.

The next day I found out that they had all of the items I had gifted to them, on sale on EBay. F*** them all, bunch of assholes — they deserve nothing.

Luckily, they only got a fraction of my collectibles. Seeing what happened, the rest of my stuff is going to charity and dealers.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
My nephew would look at me like im some kind of nerd, Id rather not :laugh:

Its not cool anymore, man.

I'm pretty sure one of my nieces will be elated if I give her my spidey collection, as she's a huge spidey fan. Her sister wouldn't care, so it depends on the kids I guess, but to say it's not cool anymore is a bit of a reach, considering the omnipresence of comic book characters in our culture. The reason you can't sell them is because previous generations had a much more limited number of different franchises and less avaibility. Today's smorgasbord of choice is just miles from what we used to have. Much more supply made the prices go down. In 30 years from now, some might be worth more though, just depends on popularity.

20 years ago, Amazing Tales #15 was rated around 15k. It's now 451k. That would've been a major investment. 30-fold profit.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm pretty sure one of my nieces will be elated if I give her my spidey collection, as she's a huge spidey fan. Her sister wouldn't care, so it depends on the kids I guess, but to say it's not cool anymore is a bit of a reach, considering the omnipresence of comic book characters in our culture. The reason you can't sell them is because previous generations had a much more limited number of different franchises and less avaibility. Today's smorgasbord of choice is just miles from what we used to have. Much more supply made the prices go down. In 30 years from now, some might be worth more though, just depends on popularity.

20 years ago, Amazing Tales #15 was rated around 15k. It's now 451k. That would've been a major investment. 30-fold profit.

I have a few first issues that are worth 500-1000, but since theyre recent issues Im not sure they would get this much value. Theyre in a box and not moving though.

Reactions: Holystik

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
First time I think I saw anyone reference handball,great sport,loved playing it.:thumbu:

Danish and Dutch are very close in grammar and sound, fairly easy to follow if knowing one or the other.

And as hard for everyone else except maybe some white South Africans. :)

Reactions: Holystik

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I had these goalie figurines from 20 years ago. I didn’t care for them, they had been in boxes for years, unopened.

So I decided to give them away to my nieces and nephew, all of them in one family. I couldn’t believe how overcome with joy they were.

The next day I found out that they had all of the items I had gifted to them, on sale on EBay. F*** them all, bunch of assholes — they deserve nothing.

Luckily, they only got a fraction of my collectibles. Seeing what happened, the rest of my stuff is going to charity and dealers.

I gave a friend a Parakeet bird when I moved and he went and sold it the same day to a pet store.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I gave a friend a Parakeet bird when I moved and he went and sold it the same day to a pet store.

Wow, that's lame, but I have to ask... i mean, he must've hinted he liked parakeets for you to offer one, cause, y'know, who the hell offers a parakeet as a present, unless you own a pet store or is this some weird Swedish custom? :huh::laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I guess the parents were the ones pushing to sell them?

I don't think my niece would do that with my comics and my sister wouldn't allow it. Still, comics aren't like most collectibles, as they are also entertainment.

dlethe01

Jul 16, 2009
Memoir of a murderer 2017 (Intense, heart rate up, best thriller); the beauty inside 2015 (a love story, someone who every day is physically a different person); the classic 2003 (very cliche, very cheese, a beautiful love story); Silenced 2011 (powerful movie, the child actors are amazing); Leave no trace 2018 ( deep emotional movie); Into the Wild 2007 ( surviving alone); The Great Battle 2018 (the arts of war)

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I'm stomped. Here I thought comic books were more than superhero stories. There's a difference between the two.
I watch japanese anime so go figure lol
I am subscribed to crunchyroll(some sort of netflix for japanese anime)
Like with any other genre, there's always something new and fresh to come out. I thought it was over for me and super-heroes after Endgame and the Justice League debacle but then I got into the Netflix Daredevil recently(which incidently is the best thing Marvel has ever done) and Swamp Thing(the best thing DC has done on TV) then The Boys 1 and 2 came along. Also the Witcher is sort fantasy super-hero in a way. And I got into Umbrella Academy last week. So there's always the new thing.
Umbrella academy is great, cannot wait for the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad