OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I saw the trailer and it looked like a remake/twist of Falling Down.

Similar idea....but Falling Down was a cute movie and more about the psychology behind Douglas' character compare to this one which is.....more to the point.

Reactions: Redux91

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Being a critic is tough. What do you base your opinion on, what you like, what you think the general public likes, or a combination of the two? Someone who studied film might use a different set of criteria than someone who relies more on instinct and feelings.

Take Q.T. films for example. Pulp Fiction is usually rated #1. I thought it was good, but I preferred Inglorious Basterds. I also liked Kill Bill 1 & 2 while most put them near the bottom.
If you wanna earn your Tarantino film-geek badge, watch Jackie Brown. Very different tone than his more famous bloodbath flics, plus a great cast.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I just started this, am at S1, Ep. 3 and I'm loving it.

There are three seasons X 10 episodes, each running approx. one hour.

It's great political intrigue, the acting is superb.

I started watching in English as it was my Netflix default setting but switched over to Danish as soon as I saw that the speech of the actors wasn't perfectly synchronized with their lips. I always prefer to hear the original voices of the actors and to read the subtitles instead, even if it demands more attention.

Based on what I'm seeing so far, it reminds me a bit of the machinations behind House of Cards, minus the dramatic music and the criminal elements, but the rest of it involves deft moves and savvy for the ascension to power. The lead actress is perfect in her role, she commands attention but has no illusions of grandeur -- you see her juggling the imperatives of living a normal life while wrestling with the power that comes with the decisions she takes.

So far, so good. If this is any indication on how the rest of the series will work, I am all in.

Dino, you've hit a homerun with this one, my friend.

If you're looking for a new series in this genre, what are you waiting for.

Season 3 of Borgen is a bit of a letdown, but the first two seasons are right up there in terms of the best political shows (and that's coming from a huge West Wing fan). It's much better than House of Cards in my opinion because it's much more realistic and they always come up with a political solution for a political problem (ie. they don't have the "joker card" of pushing someone in front of a train or the likes).

I almost want to watch it again.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Magellan TV seems like a great streaming service for documentaries, have any of you tried it?

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Been a while,but it holds up. Silly,goofy,funny enough.

images

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just finished The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Great story, acting and production all around. If you know a little about chess, it will make it even better.

If you liked movies like Imitation game, Beautiful mind, Will Hunting....you'll probably love this one.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
A little late, but I tried watching a bunch of horror flicks in the spirit of halloween on Netflix which mostly sucked. You guys have any suggestions? Apart from classics I might have seen before?

Reactions: Holystik

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A little late, but I tried watching a bunch of horror flicks in the spirit of halloween on Netflix which mostly sucked. You guys have any suggestions? Apart from classics I might have seen before?
I watched insidious (1 i guess), for the first time and honestly it was better than I expected. A few good jump scares in there, especially right at the start, make sure you pump up the volume to really get the full effect. A few funny scenes especially with the ghost hunters, and a good big bad artsy scene at the end. Fun movie, not gonna lie.

Obviously its horror, so my standards are low.

Aside from that from best to worst
Us
The invitation
4th kind (Its been a while, I don't know if it holds up to time.)
Get out
Pontypool
Babadook
Heriditary
Sinister

Brightburn I guess if you consider this horror.

Those are what I have off the top of my head, also the other generics like Annabelle, nun, insidious 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, infinity, conjuring 1, 2, 3, 4,5 ,6, infinity, exocists 1, 2, 3, 4, Halloween 1,2 3, 4,5......

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

If you haven't seen "It part 1 and 2"....that's a great choice
Get out and Hereditiary are winners too

Outside of the box suggestion:
Not a typical horror movie (not even sure it qualified) and not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed "Midsommar".

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Not a typical horror movie (not even sure it qualified) and not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed "Midsommar".
Midsommar is up my to watch list, its from the same dude that did Hereditary I think

Reactions: Milhouse40

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

That is one I will miss unless I want to laugh. :)

Reactions: Runner77

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Go for a change and watch the original Asian* horror movies that got an awful American remake.

A Tale of Two Sisters
The Grudge
The Eye
Dark Water
One Missed Call
Premonition
Shutter
Alone
Ringu (the remake was fine for that one, but I'll include it anyway)

*= Assuming you are fine with watching movie with subtitles, if not forget I said anything and watch Tremors or something.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Go for a change and watch the original Asian* horror movies that got an awful American remake.

A Tale of Two Sisters
The Grudge
The Eye
Dark Water
One Missed Call
Premonition
Shutter
Alone
Ringu (the remake was fine for that one, but I'll include it anyway)

*= Assuming you are fine with watching movie with subtitles, if not forget I said anything and watch Tremors or something.

LOL! Acacia is a great Korean horror movie well worth watching. I agree btw, watch the original movies. I remember watching Three Men and a Baby after watching the French original. I really suffered but I was on a date and kept quiet (I hate Tom Selleck so that didn't help either).

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
LOL! Acacia is a great Korean horror movie well worth watching. I agree btw, watch the original movies. I remember watching Three Men and a Baby after watching the French original. I really suffered but I was on a date and kept quiet (I hate Tom Selleck so that didn't help either).

Added Acacia to my watchlist. I was planning to rewatch another South Korean movie this week, Memories of Murder.

I guess I could turn the whole thing into S.Korea week.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Just finished The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Great story, acting and production all around. If you know a little about chess, it will make it even better.

If you liked movies like Imitation game, Beautiful mind, Will Hunting....you'll probably love this one.
Really enjoyed it too(Queen's gambit). Finished it a few days ago. I always love a good movie/series about a genius mind.

I just can't sleep tonight some I'm gonna give a try to this newly added movie on Netflix.

Papillon(#3 in Canada)
Fingers crossed.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
The hunting of Hills house(or something like that). They released season 2 a few weeks ago but I don't find it as good. Also, Babadook but you must have watched it. There is also this new netflix movie from 2 weeks ago called His house. It has a great metacritic score but I didn't find it that special.

Reactions: Shabs and Runner77

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Yes, Denmark's population used to be as large as in Sweden, then we started eating our neighbours and now they have half of our population. We call the dish Danish and they are scrumptious. :)
I used to live in Denmark for about a year! I know you folks have your rivalries but I loved it in there. In a little town called Skive(21k pop) in the Midtjyllands. Biggest cities around would have been Viborg/Aalborg/Aarhus I guess.
I miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad