OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Fincher is terrific, not to mention a Hitchcock fan, but more recognizable than Tarantino? I'll fight you on that one.

I also have my film-geek cred. I was in Communication Studies in Concordia (film, TV, radio) and was the site admin for a film review website a decade ago. But I never met a premiere director like Denis Villeneuve - that's awesome! I loved Arrival - one of my favourite sci-fi films of the past 20 years!

Fincher perfected the art of telemetric image composition. It's really noticeable in a lot of his movies. There's mostly always a sombre atmospehere with a lot of green or grey filters. Soundtracks are also very Fincher-ish from movie to movie. How the movies are scripted are also typical of his style.

I didn't "meet" Villeneuve. He was invited to our auditorium as our teacher was his teacher when he was student. He came in front of the class for a Q&A and at the end, the teacher asked to refrain from hudling over the front to meet him as he would be leaving shortly. It was around the time just after he made Maelstrom. Can't remember which class specifically. I remember vividly, one student asked him what he missed the most and the less from UQAM, and when he came around to less (paraphrasing from French) he said "I don't miss all those students who thought they'd be the next Coppola" and i was the only one to laugh out loud in the auditorium. He probably hurt a lot of egos with that comment, but it's true. And I didn't make any friends with my reaction :laugh:

Ps... am I getting banned for not liking QT? :laugh:

Ps I did meet Robert Morin at CEGEP, another Q&A, but way smaller classroom, so got to shake his hand.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Being a critic is tough. What do you base your opinion on, what you like, what you think the general public likes, or a combination of the two? Someone who studied film might use a different set of criteria than someone who relies more on instinct and feelings.

Take Q.T. films for example. Pulp Fiction is usually rated #1. I thought it was good, but I preferred Inglorious Basterds. I also liked Kill Bill 1 & 2 while most put them near the bottom.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Being a critic is tough. What do you base your opinion on, what you like, what you think the general public likes, or a combination of the two? Someone who studied film might use a different set of criteria than someone who relies more on instinct and feelings.

Take Q.T. films for example. Pulp Fiction is usually rated #1. I thought it was good, but I preferred Inglorious Basterds. I also liked Kill Bill 1 & 2 while most put them near the bottom.

Agreed.

The only thing everyone can agree on is that Michael Bay sux

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Agreed.

Uwe Boll?

I tried watching In the Name of the King (a Dungeon Siege story) on Netflix and I couldn't finish it. God it's terrible. I bet all the budget went into paying Jason Statham, Ron Pearlman, Ray Liotta and John Rhies-Davis

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Btw, i spent two years in the comm-cinema program, so I'm pretty aware of what they talk about in film classes, doesn't mean I drank every word as gospel. It's art. Some really looove Truffaut, while I can't stand his movies. I went to UQAM and had the chance of having Denis Villeneure pop-up fir a Q&A once, as he was a student a the U.

I took several film courses too. I spent way too much time on Ingmar Bergman and his cinematographer Sven Nykvist. I died a thousand deaths analyzing and micro-analyzing every facet of his tediously boring scenes, where the camera moved ever so slowly. Also spent considerable time on the films of Michel Carné and actress Arletty. Hôtel du nord was a staple film.

All I can say is ... am I ever glad I won't ever have to revisit any of those films again.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I took several film courses too. I spent way too much time on Ingmar Bergman and his cinematographer Sven Nykvist. I died a thousand deaths analyzing and micro-analyzing every facet of his tediously boring scenes, where the camera moved ever so slowly. Also spent considerable time on the films of Michel Carné and actress Arletty. Hôtel du nord was a staple film.

All I can say is ... am I ever glad I won't ever have to revisit any of those films again.

Good god, that's torture.

In CEGEP, the one teacher i had most often, for several different classes, he was over the top trippy on Truffaut and to my dismay, I had to watch several of his movies.

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Taskmaster season 6: 7.8/10 Still entertaining.

carnival row season 1 :

7/10 Great production value and world building but with a pacing issue. The show is not as good as his potential.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Agreed.

Bay has a lot of talent and I'd like to watch 13 hours. I've heard great things about that from someone who is a combat veteran and now studying film. Or was studying film, I think that he's done now.

I don't care for his transformers films. There's a few bits of good in there but it's embedded in a lot of boring and ugly.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bay has a lot of talent and I'd like to watch 13 hours. I've heard great things about that from someone who is a combat veteran and now studying film. Or was studying film, I think that he's done now.

I don't care for his transformers films. There's a few bits of good in there but it's embedded in a lot of boring and ugly.
Oh Bay has some good movies for sure, but he's had a ridiculous streak of ridiculous movies :laugh:

Transformers, The purge, TMNT :laugh:

Ive seen 13 hours, its okay.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Unhinged : Not going to win any awards but Russel Crowe still got it even if he changed a lot. Not a deep movie with side stories, complex characters and lots of twist in the story but it's still effective. Very violent, urban suspense that brings you from point A to point B without taking a long road to get there. Not a must see, but Russel Crowe's performance as a bad guy is worth it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unhinged : Not going to win any awards but Russel Crowe still got it even if he changed a lot. Not a deep movie with side stories, complex characters and lots of twist in the story but it's still effective. Very violent, urban suspense that brings you from point A to point B without taking a long road to get there. Not a must see, but Russel Crowe's performance as a bad guy is worth it.
I saw the trailer and it looked like a remake/twist of Falling Down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad