OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
K thanks.

Really liked season 1 of Fargo with him.

Fully agree. I'd watch it again just on account of his performance there. It's a compelling riveting cringe factor -- seeing how he's living the appearance of a normal life while remaining the same full-fledged psycho willing to give it all up on a dime.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
There were a few funny bits, but was mostly boring and even cringy at times.

My favorite SBC film remains, by far, The Dictator.
The issue is they spend all movie trying to show Borat reality and the story with is daughter... when the joke is that we know he isn’t real but the personne he is interacting with aren’t sure so spending half the movie try to show is relationship and acting like everything is real is stupid... they really didn’t have much content and they likely want out before the elections it really feel like it was rush...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We trust this guy for his takes on Habs prospects and the Finnish leagues namely.

Now, will we trust him for the Netflix series he's touting called "Stranger"? Not to be confused with a similarly titled Netflix series named "The Stranger".

Last edited:
Reactions: Holystik

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You know a lot of shows are hit or miss with netflix but you have to give it to them. They've helped introduce a lot of people to foreign content and that's great!

If only the provincial government didnt have a flagpole far up its butt, they'd agreed on a yearly settlement of taxes and Netflix would've done the same with shows from Qc, instead all we had was one very good stand-up by Martin Matte.

Same problem with Sony. Qc residents are cut-off from several reward programs on Playstation network because Sony would have to pay taxes on 10$ cards given for free through the reward programs (mainly the trophy program).

Prime has to gimmick their offer to Qc residents because of the same reasons. Instead of getting a one month tryout, you have to take two months and get one month free.

Gotta be ultra stingy on those taxes, right, wouldn't want to get into fiscal trouble and have to cut down on all those crony and nepotistic appointments to pointless and non productive posts, internally bleeding out our taxes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What everyone opinion on Sons of Anarchy?

Never went further than season 1.

And I dislike most works with Mark Boone Jr. He reminds me of Rejean Tremblay. I just don't find it believable when he's supposed to play someone cunning. He rather looks like someone who will steal a drumstick with a greasy hand while you have your back turned.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The biker with the whitest, cleanest shoes.
Jax-Bike-SOA.jpg

images

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The issue is they spend all movie trying to show Borat reality and the story with is daughter... when the joke is that we know he isn’t real but the personne he is interacting with aren’t sure so spending half the movie try to show is relationship and acting like everything is real is stupid... they really didn’t have much content and they likely want out before the elections it really feel like it was rush...

I didn't like it overall although there are some pearls in it. It is also clear to me that Giuliana is a dirty old man. I actually fast forwarded some parts. The best things he ever did in my opinion were the TV series in the UK . Ali G and Borat.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Omg, I just started The Hunters on Amazon prime.

Why isnt this more talked about? Im on episode 4 right now and it's freaking amazing. Better than the Boys if you ask me.

I really didn't like The Hunters for many reasons :

1- It's a bad attempt at copying Tarantino's style and favorite themes. Except it's not funny and it's slow as hell. But it was so obvious they were copying his style that I found it embarassing.

2- They pretend it's a real story but none of it is real. It's so unrealistic anyway.

3- As if the Holocaust was not horrendous enough already, they had to make up new horrors, like the stupid chess game, as if they needed this to justify killing nazis. But it has the reverse effect of fueling the negationists out there.

4- The vilains are cartoonish and one dimensional.

Overall, a really bad show in my opinion.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I didn't like it overall although there are some pearls in it. It is also clear to me that Giuliana is a dirty old man. I actually fast forwarded some parts. The best things he ever did in my opinion were the TV series in the UK . Ali G and Borat.

He's the one who prosecuted the NY crime families, but like you, I always felt he was dirty and my suspicion remains that he did it for the syndicate because the NY families didn't want to get with the modern program of legitimizing through businesses and using gang proxies to sell the drug market.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I really didn't like The Hunters for many reasons :

1- It's a bad attempt at copying Tarantino's style and favorite themes. Except it's not funny and it's slow as hell. But it was so obvious they were copying his style that I found it embarassing.

2- They pretend it's a real story but none of it is real. It's so unrealistic anyway.

3- As if the Holocaust was not horrendous enough already, they had to make up new horrors, like the stupid chess game, as if they needed this to justify killing nazis. But it has the reverse effect of fueling the negationists out there.

4- The vilains are cartoonish and one dimensional.

Overall, a really bad show in my opinion.

Unfortunately, Nazis are mostly always caricatured and simplistic in movie portrayal.

I don't even see the point of imitating Tarantino's work. I used to love his movies in my early 20's, but my outlook has changed tremendously and I find his movies boring and the dialogues empty of meaning.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well , Season finale of Raised by Wolves made me feel "queezy" to say the least lol, tough to look at that thing

But honestly, a very interesting show, I love the whole premise, of COURSE Ridley Scotts fingerprints are all over this lol, theres some blade runner aspects theres some prometheus aspects, and honestly it takes me back to a lot of twilight zone episodes whenever they go to another planet, i feel they captured that feeling well, another world

But another world with history, we have no idea how yet, but theres gotta be some kind of connection with the two planets, earth and kepler-22b

And then theres Mother and Father, they ARE the show, everything else is interesting, even the religious army/atheist army plot points have me super curious, as theres SOMEthing supernatural there, cant wait to get to the bottom of that

But Mother and Father , Androids tasked with trying to raise human children on a far away planet, it just doesnt get any better sci fi then that, I love how they no matter WHAT the mission is the children.
Father is the nicest and funniest guy
And honestly, i would LOVE to have someone like Mother, complicated and dangerous as she may be, i would LOVE to have her as my caregiver and protector, holy shit, i wish the kids would SHUT UP and accept her as is lmao
The actress playing Mother was jaw droppingly amazing, she can be so sweet and then seem so disdainful in seconds, she is absolutely fantastic in the role, she owns it, i feel like shes a real life android, especially in a ridley scott universe

I get the season finale didnt sit well with many people, and it would definitely seem MORE questions were raised than answered, and thats fine with me, the mysteriousness is a GOOD part of the show i find, they have 5 seasons planned and hopefully they get there, and again the ending made me feel a little queezy more than anything lol but again, they will get to the bottom of this all eventually

Sol is the Light!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Unfortunately, Nazis are mostly always caricatured and simplistic in movie portrayal.

I don't even see the point of imitating Tarantino's work. I used to love his movies in my early 20's, but my outlook has changed tremendously and I find his movies boring and the dialogues empty of meaning.

His last few films have been brutally boring, IMO. And I say that as a pretty big fan of inglorious and PF. Tarantino has bought his own hype.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Has anyone here seen the film Sinister? It was in a list with Halloween movies that are supposed to be scary? I noticed that is on Peacock the NBC streaming service.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Loved the movie, fun to see Peter Stormare playing a psychopath. How can they make a series of it? I mean did the character played by Macy not get arrested in the first series?

It's a remake and it's pretty good. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cohen bros fan and Fargo is one of their very best, but the series is almost just as good.

I also really like Stormare. Speaking of psychopaths, he also did great as the father of all psychopaths, as Lucifer in the movie adaptation of Constantine.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's a remake and it's pretty good. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cohen bros fan and Fargo is one of their very best, but the series is almost just as good.

I also really like Stormare. Speaking of psychopaths, he also did great as the father of all psychopaths, as Lucifer in the movie adaptation of Constantine.

He's in Big Lebowski as one of the German nihilists and he also played Slippery Pete in Seinfeld. Before Fargo he was mainly known as a theatre actor and director at the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad