OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I used to live in Denmark for about a year! I know you folks have your rivalries but I loved it in there. In a little town called Skive(21k pop) in the Midtjyllands. Biggest cities around would have been Viborg/Aalborg/Aarhus I guess.
I miss it.

I love it there too, if I move back to Europe (depending on the election here) I might move there. I worked for a while in Helsinborg which is the city in Sweden closest to Denmark (you can swim over if you want) and I used to take the ferry over to Helsingør on the Danish side and eat dinner. You can have schnapps there with your breakfast, in Sweden they don't serve alcohol before noon. They have such great open sandwiches as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love it there too, if I move back to Europe (depending on the election here) I might move there. I worked for a while in Helsinborg which is the city in Sweden closest to Denmark (you can swim over if you want) and I used to take the ferry over to Helsingør on the Danish side and eat dinner. You can have schnapps there with your breakfast, in Sweden they don't serve alcohol before noon. They have such great open sandwiches as well.

What's the weather like over there -- harsh winters? Really short daylight hours in fall and winter?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
What's the weather like over there -- harsh winters? Really short daylight hours in fall and winter?

Denmark has mild winters, they do have some terrible storms in the North Sea and North Atlantic. They do have fairly short daylight hours in the winter. Copenhagen in on the 55th latitude that is quite a bit north of Montreal. Although the winters are much milder in Denmark compared to Montreal as long as the warm current is going to Europe.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A little late, but I tried watching a bunch of horror flicks in the spirit of halloween on Netflix which mostly sucked. You guys have any suggestions? Apart from classics I might have seen before?

I really liked The Wailing personally. It's a little bit too long and certainly not perfect. Also it's more psychological horror than graphical horror. If you have not seen Occulus i think it's worth watching. I really liked Sinister too (the first one don't bother with the 2nd one). All those films are more psychological horror than graphical though. Lot of people disliked Babadook but i personally liked it. Again more psychological. It follows is cool too more on the lighthearted side though. Can't go wrong with Maika Monroe anyway if you don't like the movie you got something else to watch ... The Witch is super weird. One of my favorite 100% unknown horror movie is Them. It's an old one though. Hereditary is cool too. Goodnight Mommy is another more psychological one that is good too. It's not for everyone though. Oh and any movie by Gaspar Noé. They are technically not horror movies but i think they are actually more effective lol

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really liked The Wailing personally. It's a little bit too long and certainly not perfect. Also it's more psychological horror than graphical horror. If you have not seen Occulus i think it's worth watching. I really liked Sinister too (the first one don't bother with the 2nd one). All those films are more psychological horror than graphical though. Lot of people disliked Babadook but i personally liked it. Again more psychological. It follows is cool too more on the lighthearted side though. Can't go wrong with Maika Monroe anyway if you don't like the movie you got something else to watch ... The Witch is super weird. One of my favorite 100% unknown horror movie is Them. It's an old one though. Hereditary is cool too. Goodnight Mommy is another more psychological one that is good too. It's not for everyone though.
Good ones in there, I did see the witch and I just didn't understand shit from the movie. Its kinda scary but you don't know why... The athmosphere and shots are great though, but I can't remember what happens in the movie for the life of me.

I also saw It follows, forgot to comment on it. Honestly its good. I liked it. Such a dumb plot but executed really well, I think.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Good ones in there, I did see the witch and I just didn't understand shit from the movie. Its kinda scary but you don't know why... The athmosphere and shots are great though, but I can't remember what happens in the movie for the life of me.

I also saw It follows, forgot to comment on it. Honestly its good. I liked it. Such a dumb plot but executed really well, I think.

I did not either but i feel it was kind of the point of The Witch lol Still liked it personally but not a movie i would watch again for sure. It follows should have been awful. Plot is dumb with full of clichés. But somehow it works. Actors do a good job and direction is good.

Forgot The Descent and Eden Lake too.

Last edited:

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Really enjoyed it too(Queen's gambit). Finished it a few days ago. I always love a good movie/series about a genius mind.

I just can't sleep tonight some I'm gonna give a try to this newly added movie on Netflix.

Papillon(#3 in Canada)
Fingers crossed.

Papillion the remake or the original ? The original was great,the remake,not impressed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I did not either but i feel it was kind of the point of The Witch lol Still liked it personally but not a movie i would watch again for sure. It follows should have been awful. Plot is dumb with full of clichés. But somehow it works. Actors do a good job and direction is good.

Forgot The Descent and Eden Lake too.
Really, I watched that movie as a joke and was pleasantly surprised.

As for the witch, Im not even sure if she was real, lmao. Is it just a metaphor for the harsh life of northern colonizers in the 17th century ?

I don't even remember the end, I think I might have dozed off on it, which should be a good indication that its not scary at all, because Im usually scared shitless of supernatural stories.

Have you seen The Ritual ? Pretty good movie until the end, I liked it. Has a real Blair witch project feel.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Really, I watched that movie as a joke and was pleasantly surprised.

As for the witch, Im not even sure if she was real, lmao. Is it just a metaphor for the harsh life of northern colonizers in the 17th century ?

I don't even remember the end, I think I might have dozed off on it, which should be a good indication that its not scary at all, because Im usually scared shitless of supernatural stories.

Have you seen The Ritual ? Pretty good movie until the end, I liked it. Has a real Blair witch project feel.

The Ritual has been on my watchlist for a while. It looks good for sure. Juts have not found the time to watch it sadly.

Train to busan was also a great movie from SK, but I wouldnt say it was Horror per say.

It's a good movie but kind of McDonalds horror ;) With the brain turned to off it's watchable pop corn entertainment for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Ritual has been on my watchlist for a while. It looks good for sure. Juts have not found the time to watch it sadly.

It's a good movie but kind of McDonalds horror ;) With the brain turned to off it's watchable pop corn entertainment for sure.
On The ritual, the big bad reveal kinda killed the movie a bit but aside from that its good.

Soft spoiler:

Its the norse mythical entity Jotunn but its pretty wacky

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

The Witch is that the one that takes place in the 16th or 17th century in New England? Then I have seen it, it is strange but I had an uneasy feeling after watching it.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I had a friend in Sweden who had a dad who looked just like Stevie McQueen when he came out of the second isolation punishment. We called his dad Papillon after that. :)

'' come to poppa and give me a big kiss''

upload_2020-11-5_17-1-47.jpeg

f off pops!

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Smorebrod!!!
Yeah they were amazing. Also kid you not, after visiting almost every country in Europe, Denmark as the best sushi!

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Papillion the remake or the original ? The original was great,the remake,not impressed.
I see, I do not know the original. Just got to watch the latest one(2 years old I think) on Netflix. Managed to go through the whole movie without skiping. So yeah I'd say it was ok.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Smorebrod!!!
Yeah they were amazing. Also kid you not, after visiting almost every country in Europe, Denmark as the best sushi!

Thanks, that is another reason to move there. :) With regards to our old rivalry there is a film by the Danish director Lars Von Trier called Riket (Riget in Danish) which basically means "The Kingdom". There is this Swedish doctor working in Denmark and one night he stands and look at the lights from the Swedish side and starts singing a song that is an homage to Sweden and then says: "Thank you Swedish watch tower, with plutonium we will force the Dane to his knee" (he means a nuclear reactor that is on the Swedish side that he actually looks at) "Here is Denmark, shat from lime and water, there is Sweden, cut out from granite." "Bloody Danes" (Danskjävlar) (In German Dänischteufel). Jävel means devil but it is a cuss word since in religious language we say Satan and the closest I can think of is the English Bloody Danes. In French maybe something like "Fils de pute Danois"? As I said, I really like the Danish and Denmark except when we play them in soccer and handball where we have great rivalries. In the last 20 years they have produced some decent hockey players, in the WC in 2003 they beat the US 5-2 and tied Canada (2-2). Don't know if they have ever beaten us, I know it has been close a few times. Before 2000, Norway was the 3rd best Nordic country in hockey but Denmark has been better in the last 20 years. Too bad their way of talking is so hard to understand, Swedes and Norwegians understand each other in spoken words quite good, but the writing in Norwegian is closer to the Danish writing. Norway was part of Denmark until 1658 when Denmark lost a war with Sweden and Sweden invaded Denmark. After that Norway was part of a union with Sweden that they broke on May the 17th, 1905. When I watch sports and Sweden is not involved I always support whatever Nordic country that is playing. Finland mainly in hockey, they have good rally drivers as well., Danish in soccer and handball and Norway in skiing, alpine and cross country, ski jumping. Finland is not technically a Scandinavian country (totally different language group) but it was part of Sweden for 800 years and according to the DNA test I did, I have about 40% of Finnish DNA. My grandfather that I never met was Finnish, his last name was Antilla, my grandmother was a so called Finn Swede, a Swedish named and Swedish speaking person who live in Finland and that had been there for hundreds of years. You can see that in hockey there are Finns with Swedish last names.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks, that is another reason to move there. :) With regards to our old rivalry there is a film by the Danish director Lars Von Trier called Riket (Riget in Danish) which basically means "The Kingdom". There is this Swedish doctor working in Denmark and one night he stands and look at the lights from the Swedish side and starts singing a song that is an homage to Sweden and then says: "Thank you Swedish watch tower, with plutonium we will force the Dane to his knee" (he means a nuclear reactor that is on the Swedish side that he actually looks at) "Here is Denmark, shat from lime and water, there is Sweden, cut out from granite." "Bloody Danes" (Danskjävlar) (In German Dänischteufel). Jävel means devil but it is a cuss word since in religious language we say Satan and the closest I can think of is the English Bloody Danes. In French maybe something like "Fils de pute Danois"? As I said, I really like the Danish and Denmark except when we play them in soccer and handball where we have great rivalries. In the last 20 years they have produced some decent hockey players, in the WC in 2003 they beat the US 5-2 and tied Canada (2-2). Don't know if they have ever beaten us, I know it has been close a few times. Before 2000, Norway was the 3rd best Nordic country in hockey but Denmark has been better in the last 20 years. Too bad their way of talking is so hard to understand, Swedes and Norwegians understand each other in spoken words quite good, but the writing in Norwegian is closer to the Danish writing. Norway was part of Denmark until 1658 when Denmark lost a war with Sweden and Sweden invaded Denmark. After that Norway was part of a union with Sweden that they broke on May the 17th, 1905. When I watch sports and Sweden is not involved I always support whatever Nordic country that is playing. Finland mainly in hockey, they have good rally drivers as well., Danish in soccer and handball and Norway in skiing, alpine and cross country, ski jumping. Finland is not technically a Scandinavian country (totally different language group) but it was part of Sweden for 800 years and according to the DNA test I did, I have about 40% of Finnish DNA. My grandfather that I never met was Finnish, his last name was Antilla, my grandmother was a so called Finn Swede, a Swedish named and Swedish speaking person who live in Finland and that had been there for hundreds of years. You can see that in hockey there are Finns with Swedish last names.

Totally fascinating. Sounds like a great country to visit and more. Thanks for sharing.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I mentioned a few pages back that my wife and I binged seven seasons of Sons of Anarchy in less than two months. I liked the show a lot and loved the music. Honestly I can't think of a tv show that better marries music to mood and story. Music is as important as any character in the show.

I have watched this scene so many times and I cry every time. The song by itself is enough to move anyone to tears. But watch and listen to this, oh man:

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars

Det var en god læsning, tak

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I see, I do not know the original. Just got to watch the latest one(2 years old I think) on Netflix. Managed to go through the whole movie without skiping. So yeah I'd say it was ok.

Might be better than anticipated if not knowing the original one. Having seen both and reading the book,book was great in comparison.FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad