OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I still can't believe how good Captain Marvel was. There's something to be said about Nick Fury being the comedic relief in a movie.

Disclaimer: I may be influenced by the cat playing the biggest role a cat has ever played in a movie. (Cat lovers unite!)

How powerful is she if Ronan turns around in fear. RONAN !

Even my GF who's a big time Marvel hater liked it.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I still can't believe how good Captain Marvel was. There's something to be said about Nick Fury being the comedic relief in a movie.

Disclaimer: I may be influenced by the cat playing the biggest role a cat has ever played in a movie. (Cat lovers unite!)

How powerful is she if Ronan turns around in fear. RONAN !

Even my GF who's a big time Marvel hater liked it.
Got to say, I didn't think much of it. A decent enough introduction to this character, but kind of blah. Liked the soundtrack though

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
For the life of me, I can't comprehend why "Creed" is so highly rated on RT.

Tried to watch it for the second time recently and only made it through 40 minutes (my first try was around half that).

The script is formulaic and rushed (for example, the arc of the lead's relationship with the girl is :laugh:; the first gym scene is god-awful and there's no soapbox large enough for it to fit onto; etc. ), the dialogues are cringeworthy and you know exactly where it's going five minutes into it. The soundtrack does not fit the camera at all, there's a gaping disconnect that's evident throughout.

A complete waste of time this film is IMO.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Has anyone watched After Life with Ricky Gervais? A buddy recommended it and it's highly rated on IMDB.

I have. It's a decent show if you don't have high expectations. It's not that funny but it's touching.

The Whiskey Bandit: 7/10 It's the biopic of a bank robber.

Reactions: peate

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
For the life of me, I can't comprehend why "Creed" is so highly rated on RT.

Tried to watch it for the second time recently and only made it through 40 minutes (my first try was around half that).

The script is formulaic and rushed (for example, the arc of the lead's relationship with the girl is :laugh:; the first gym scene is god-awful and there's no soapbox large enough for it to fit onto; etc. ), the dialogues are cringeworthy and you know exactly where it's going five minutes into it. The soundtrack does not fit the camera at all, there's a gaping disconnect that's evident throughout.

A complete waste of time this film is IMO.

Have you seen Creed 2? It's probably worse. Ironically, I haven't seen the first one but a buddy of mine brought me in the second one. I wanted to sleep half-way in

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
If you understand french, '' Le monstre " is a good show just a notch below Fugueuse. It's based on the book of Ingrid Falaise a victim of domestic violence.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just got an idea, and what if Monica actually plays a role ? She's 11 at the time of the movie, set in 1995, so that means she'd be 33, assuming end game is in 2019 ? Maybe thats what the Russo brothers meant when they said "Captain Marvel is the strongest Avenger." I believe Rambeau could be stronger than Thor, meanwhile the Carol Danvers isn't, or doesn't look like she is as strong as Thor.

Bear with me.

Notice that nobody ever calls Carol "Captain Marvel" in the movie ? Who's to say the star of the show isn't actually Danvers, but Monica Rambeau ?

Carol Danvers first took the title of Captain Marvel after the death of Mar-Vell, the real Captain Marvel, who she loved. But before that, Rambeau actually took on the moniker in the early 80's even if she didn't know Mar-Vell existed. There's no link between the name Captain Marvel and Carol, since Mar-Vell never took on the form of the hero, but there is one between Monica and the name.
What if Captain Marvel is actually Monica and Carol is Warbird/Binary ?

Imagine that, the most powerful hero in the marvel cinematic universe is an african american woman that no one saw coming. It's too good to be true.

Holy shit did I just crack the code to End game ?

So, for those who have seen Captain Marvel, chew on this.. 0:24 to 0:30...

I don't get the reference ?

Reactions: DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lol come on guys.. Homecoming is by far the best live action Spider-man movie.

Best and most faithful portrayal of both Peter and Spider-man AINEC. Sure, if you haven't read many SM comics, you'll like the Raimi/McGuire trilogy. And if that's your ideal for SM is then the Raimi movies, you won't like the two Amazing movies, but the latter are more faithful to the comic. Took guts to finally portray Amazing #121 like David Fincher originally pitched to Fox in the late 90's. Amazing 2 is my favorite live action SM after Homecoming. As a Spider-man fan, the death of Gwen Stacy is iconic, like the death of her father and it was nice to finally have those storylines finally brought to life.

McGuire was way too whinny and emotional to portray Parker. Deadpan humor. I always hated the casting despite liking TM. Hated Raimi's vision despite being a huge fan of his from his Evil Dead days.

Garfield was way too quirky as Parker but was a better fit. Still, something was off in his acting. Something not parker-ish about how he flutters in dialogue scenes.
I don't see how the new movies are faithful to the comics that I grew up reading. Maybe the comics have changed but Flash Thompson was a jock not a member of the chess team...

The Raimi films were pretty faithful to the classic version of Spiderman.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't see how the new movies are faithful to the comics that I grew up reading. Maybe the comics have changed but Flash Thompson was a jock not a member of the chess team...

tom-holland-zendaya-spider-man-atlanta-first-set-pics-06-e1484936853654.jpg

Lacoste Polo in 2018... Isn't that jock enough?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
tom-holland-zendaya-spider-man-atlanta-first-set-pics-06-e1484936853654.jpg

Lacoste Polo in 2018... Isn't that jock enough?
I don't know who Peter's friend is in the new movie but he was never in the comics. Harry Osborne was his buddy back then. Mary Jane was never some kind of weird chick the way they have her portrayed now. Back then she was a red headed babe who was kind of cocky (that was actually changed a bit in the Raimi movies) and who toyed around with Harry while Peter went out with Gwen. He only hooked up with Mary Jane later on and they kind of smoothed over her character.

And the guy in the lacoste shirt sure as f*** never would've passed for Flash Thompson. :laugh:

I'm really not a fan of the new films to be honest.

Reactions: Kimota

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Peter Parker. I have over 1000 SM comics. It's not the Peter I grew-up with. I don't care about changing the supporting cast as long as Peter is Peter.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Peter Parker. I have over 1000 SM comics. It's not the Peter I grew-up with. I don't care about changing the supporting cast as long as Peter is Peter.
One thing with Spiderman that gets out of hand is how he somehow has a personal relationship with all the villains. Raimi compounded that with Octavius being a professor he wound up meeting.

Hated the plot that the vulture is somehow Gwen's dad... in my opinion the whole film was a f***ing mess.

To each their own though. Most people seem to have loved it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I just got an idea, and what if Monica actually plays a role ? She's 11 at the time of the movie, set in 1995, so that means she'd be 33, assuming end game is in 2019 ? Maybe thats what the Russo brothers meant when they said "Captain Marvel is the strongest Avenger." I believe Rambeau could be stronger than Thor, meanwhile the Carol Danvers isn't, or doesn't look like she is as strong as Thor.

Bear with me.

Notice that nobody ever calls Carol "Captain Marvel" in the movie ? Who's to say the star of the show isn't actually Danvers, but Monica Rambeau ?

Carol Danvers first took the title of Captain Marvel after the death of Mar-Vell, the real Captain Marvel, who she loved. But before that, Rambeau actually took on the moniker in the early 80's even if she didn't know Mar-Vell existed. There's no link between the name Captain Marvel and Carol, since Mar-Vell never took on the form of the hero, but there is one between Monica and the name.
What if Captain Marvel is actually Monica and Carol is Warbird/Binary ?

Imagine that, the most powerful hero in the marvel cinematic universe is an african american woman that no one saw coming. It's too good to be true.

Holy **** did I just crack the code to End game ?

I don't get the reference ?

Interesting theory and plausible but I don’t think the execs planned it that way where Monica ends up being CM.

As for the AOU reference, remember the diner scene in CM when she asked Fury a weird quirk about him nobody knows?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Interesting theory and plausible but I don’t think the execs planned it that way where Monica ends up being CM.

As for the AOU reference, remember the diner scene in CM when she asked Fury a weird quirk about him nobody knows?
Damn thats clever :laugh: There's no way anyone missed that in the MCU imo.

Also there's something very, very weird about her never getting the name "Captain Marvel."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad