OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Someone's panties are in a bunch lol. I never asked you to reply, so whether it bothers you to reply or not is solely on you. You assumed I want your point of view, I don't. You on the other hand, asked for ours, as in the people that think he's overrated. Maybe it's not the best idea to ask for a dissenting opinion if it's going to rile you up like that.

Way to ignore like 90% of my post lol. You can ignore it, it's fine...but just one question, how is Reservoir Dogs cliché?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just finished "The Dirt" on Netflix. The movie is based on Motley Crue.

I'd recommend it..

Since Motley Crue was one of my favorite band when i was kid i jumped on that movie.....loved it.
Not an Academy Award type of movie by any stretch of the imagination, still entertaining.

Recommend it to any of you who lived in those days.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Way to ignore like 90% of my post lol. You can ignore it, it's fine...but just one question, how is Reservoir Dogs cliché?
Judging by how badly and personally you took my criticism of QT, I didn't see a need to get into an argument with you that would down spiral further. Plus I was tired and about to go to sleep, so I didn't want to spend my night arguing point by point.

How is reservoir dogs a cliché? Well, let's see:
One last heist movie
A man with a plan gathers a bunch of other thieves that don't know one another to pull one last job but ultimately end up being pitted them one another as tensions and mistrust rise
The blue collar, every day, black suit, white shirt and tie hit man that's the epitome of every b-movie American novel bore fest
The underdog with a chip on his shoulder and big attitude
One too many flashbacks
Characters talking about the plot instead of seeing the plot acted out
The one guy in the group that's a sadistic, torture and gore loving mean sob that's staple in American "artsy" or "edgy" movies that looked to push the boundaries of what's acceptable violence on screen at the time.
I could go on but I'm not really that interested in discussing and dissecting QT's movies. You seem to like his movies, I don't. I'm in this thread looking for recommendations that are more aligned with my taste but you asked me to explain my opinion, so here it is.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Judging by how badly and personally you took my criticism of QT, I didn't see a need to get into an argument with you that would down spiral further. Plus I was tired and about to go to sleep, so I didn't want to spend my night arguing point by point.

One last heist movie
A man with a plan gathers a bunch of other thieves that don't know one another to pull one last job but ultimately end up being pitted them one another as tensions and mistrust rise
The blue collar, every day, black suit, white shirt and tie hit man that's the epitome of every b-movie American novel bore fest
One too many flashbacks
The one guy in the group that's a sadistic, torture and gore loving mean sob that's staple in American "artsy" or "edgy" movies that looked to push the boundaries of what's acceptable violence on screen at the time.
I could go on but I'm not really that interested in discussing and dissecting QT's movies. You seem to like his movies, I don't. I'm in this thread looking for recommendations that are more aligned with my taste but you asked me to explain my opinion, so here it is.

:punk:

:clap:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

One last heist movie
One too many flashbacks

Well for your first sentence, don't take anything critical I say in the least bit offensive. I'd rather you (continue to) tell me to take it easy (kind of like you just did in this reply) so I can take a step back and word future posts better so thanks.

Anyways...I feel like you can paint a lot of heist movie as cliché based on a combination of the following aspects:

#1 Last heist movie
#2 Strangers working together but end up pitted against each other
#3 Suits
#4 Flashbacks
#5 Talk about plot instead of acting it out
#6 Sadistic character

I tried coming up with a list of movies but they all happened to be post-1992:

Usual Suspects: (1, 2, 3, 6)
Heat (1, 3, 6)
Drive (1, 2, 6)
Snatch (1, 2, 3, 6)
Ocean 11 (1, 3, 4).

Was Tarentino one of the first ever to bring all those things together in a movie? who knows, maybe I need to watch more heist movies pre-dating 1992 but I'd love to hear examples of others that did something similar before him. I'm by no means a Tarentino fanboy or anything but I do consider him a great director among many others, but there is a reason that movie is considered one of the greatest heist movies of all-time for a reason.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
now that i've watched all of the MCU and X-men trash, might as well go through Spidey too since I don't remember much from the first 2. I just watch 1 so here's my review :

JK Simmons might be the best casting of all time
Oof spidey you can't say that anymore
It's actually incredible how much Franco looks like James Dean in that one
Man that's some '02 CG
I still don't like Tobey's Spider-Man at all but I find him decent as Peter
Good not great but really iconic in many ways

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Well for your first sentence, don't take anything critical I say in the least bit offensive. I'd rather you (continue to) tell me to take it easy (kind of like you just did in this reply) so I can take a step back and word future posts better so thanks.

Anyways...I feel like you can paint a lot of heist movie as cliché based on a combination of the following aspects:

#1 Last heist movie
#2 Strangers working together but end up pitted against each other
#3 Suits
#4 Flashbacks
#5 Talk about plot instead of acting it out
#6 Sadistic character

I tried coming up with a list of movies but they all happened to be post-1992:

Usual Suspects: (1, 2, 3, 6)
Heat (1, 3, 6)
Drive (1, 2, 6)
Snatch (1, 2, 3, 6)
Ocean 11 (1, 3, 4).

Was Tarentino one of the first ever to bring all those things together in a movie? who knows, maybe I need to watch more heist movies pre-dating 1992 but I'd love to hear examples of others that did something similar before him. I'm by no means a Tarentino fanboy or anything but I do consider him a great director among many others, but there is a reason that movie is considered one of the greatest heist movies of all-time for a reason.
Just because a movie has clichés in it doesn't mean it's entirely bad, there aren't too many all original movies. Some can be quite enjoyable like some of the ones you listed. Heat was great acting. Ocean's was fun and light and never took itself too seriously. Reservoir Dogs was just lost in trying to do too many things at once to a point where it's a little incoherent and doesn't fully come together.

Check out City on Fire, it's basically the original Reservoir Dogs. QT admittedly had a thing for Hong Kong movies, John Woo and Chow Yun Fat for a while.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Recently watched Into the spider verse and holy crap was I pleasantly surprised. Speaking as someone that has had general superhero movie fatigue for a while and not a huge fan of animated movies to begin with, it turns out it's been one my most fun watch in a long while.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Recently watched Into the spider verse and holy crap was I pleasantly surprised. Speaking as someone that has had general superhero movie fatigue for a while and not a huge fan of animated movies to begin with, it turns out it's been one my most fun watch in a long while.

As far as animated movies are concerned, it's a masterpiece imo

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
New Godzilla looks f***ing awesome! This is coming from a person who still watches the older ones! Can not wait!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
now that i've watched all of the MCU and X-men trash, might as well go through Spidey too since I don't remember much from the first 2. I just watch 1 so here's my review :

Man that's some '02 CG
Nerd alurt

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I watched the last Clint Eastwood movie : The Mule. Incredible to see him still act and direct at 88 years old. Not the best movie but it was alright. Might be his last movie. So worth a watch

Reactions: overlords

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Nerd alurt

well good news I also watched Spider-Man 2!

to my surprise it wasn't as good as Spider-Man 1 and in retrospect, I can now see that it's clearly going toward the mess that is spider-man 3! Most of that movie is full of boring monologues that go on way too long... Also fairly sure Kristen Dunst went back in time, she looks younger in that one somehow ???

I'll keep you posted about Spider-Man 3 oh boy am I excited to rewatch that one

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Man that's some '02 CG
Those two movies were fantastic. Much better than the Spiderman movies that came after. The 2nd one in particular is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Those two movies were fantastic. Much better than the Spiderman movies that came after. The 2nd one in particular is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

I just talked about it 1 post before but i'll expand on it

I also thought it was the case but only from a vague memory of that movie... Basically, everyone seems to remember that the Doc Ock stuff is really good but after 15 years we all forget that this movie is also a LOT of very boring, poorly written and poorly acted campy dialogues... I know it's supposed to be a comic book movie and feel like a comic book movie but especially now, it doesn't hold up to me. It's nowhere near a Logan or even an infinity wars IMO

There's a couple of scenes in particular where May talks to Peter and MJ talks to Peter and it lasts an eternity, and they just repeat the same thing over and over and over again. The whole party scene where Harry is angry is really weirdly paced and edited, Peter goes outside to talk to MJ for what feels like an hour, he comes back in and Harry just picks up the conversation exactly where he left it off, it's super jarring and strange. Or when Peter tells May about Ben, it takes forever it's sooooo damn long and Tobey Mcguire doesn't have the acting chops to make me care about it at all. I still think he is really bad in general, he acts like a robot until he doesn't... he's either completely dead eyed or overacting like crazy (the crying scene, the scene where he stops the train).

i'll get back to you when I get to both ASM, but I remember liking 1 a lot because it was a lot more of the Spider-Man I love (the annoying quippy kid) and the handling of Gwen Stacy's death. And I know 2 is just a trainwreck, I doubt i'll change my mind on this one :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just talked about it 1 post before but i'll expand on it

I also thought it was the case but only from a vague memory of that movie... Basically, everyone seems to remember that the Doc Ock stuff is really good but after 15 years we all forget that this movie is also a LOT of very boring, poorly written and poorly acted campy dialogues... I know it's supposed to be a comic book movie and feel like a comic book movie but especially now, it doesn't hold up to me. It's nowhere near a Logan or even an infinity wars IMO

There's a couple of scenes in particular where May talks to Peter and MJ talks to Peter and it lasts an eternity, and they just repeat the same thing over and over and over again. The whole party scene where Harry is angry is really weirdly paced and edited, Peter goes outside to talk to MJ for what feels like an hour, he comes back in and Harry just picks up the conversation exactly where he left it off, it's super jarring and strange. Or when Peter tells May about Ben, it takes forever it's sooooo damn long and Tobey Mcguire doesn't have the acting chops to make me care about it at all. I still think he is really bad in general, he acts like a robot until he doesn't... he's either completely dead eyed or overacting like crazy (the crying scene, the scene where he stops the train).

i'll get back to you when I get to both ASM, but I remember liking 1 a lot because it was a lot more of the Spider-Man I love (the annoying quippy kid) and the handling of Gwen Stacy's death. And I know 2 is just a trainwreck, I doubt i'll change my mind on this one :laugh:
I liked the campy dialogues. It's a comic book movie not high art.

The scene with Aunt May and Peter when he tells her what really happened with Uncle Ben was a particularly great one. I think it's about as perfect a Spiderman movie as you could make.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I liked the campy dialogues. It's a comic book movie not high art.

The scene with Aunt May and Peter when he tells her what really happened with Uncle Ben was a particularly great one. I think it's about as perfect a Spiderman movie as you could make.

If anything I would agree with you if we're talking about the first one! The first movie had lots of campy stuff and it felt like a comic book, Raimi used a bunch of funky camera angles and characters were super cartoony and fun

in the 2nd one it's like he held back in some parts but when full blast in other parts it clashes way too hard for me

and well we all know for 3 he just went so far he broke the handle and casted Topher Grace as Venom which i'll blame on drugs or something

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Lol come on guys.. Homecoming is by far the best live action Spider-man movie.

Best and most faithful portrayal of both Peter and Spider-man AINEC. Sure, if you haven't read many SM comics, you'll like the Raimi/McGuire trilogy. And if that's your ideal for SM is then the Raimi movies, you won't like the two Amazing movies, but the latter are more faithful to the comic. Took guts to finally portray Amazing #121 like David Fincher originally pitched to Fox in the late 90's. Amazing 2 is my favorite live action SM after Homecoming. As a Spider-man fan, the death of Gwen Stacy is iconic, like the death of her father and it was nice to finally have those storylines finally brought to life.

McGuire was way too whinny and emotional to portray Parker. Deadpan humor. I always hated the casting despite liking TM. Hated Raimi's vision despite being a huge fan of his from his Evil Dead days.

Garfield was way too quirky as Parker but was a better fit. Still, something was off in his acting. Something not parker-ish about how he flutters in dialogue scenes.

Last edited:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Lol come on guys.. Homecoming is by far the best live action Spider-man movie.

Best and most faithful portrayal of both Peter and Spider-man AINEC. Sure, if you haven't read many SM comics, you'll like the Raimi/McGuire trilogy. And if that's your ideal for SM is then the Raimi movies, you won't like the two Amazing movies, but the latter are more faithful to the comic. Took guts to finally portray Amazing 121 like Fincher originally pitched to Fox in the late 90's. Amazing 2 is my favorite live action SM after Homecoming. As a Spider-man fan, the death of Gwen Stacy is iconic, like the death of her father and it was nice to finally have those storylines finally brought to life.

McGuire was way too whinny and emotional to portray Parker. Deadpan humor. I always hated the casting despite liking TM. Hated Raimi's vision despite being a huge fan of his from his Evil Dead days.

Garfield was way too quirky as Parker but was a better fit. Still, something was off in his acting. Something not parker-ish about how he flutters in dialogue scenes.

agreed with pretty much everything (except amazing 2) but I challenge you with Into The Spider-Verse as the best Spider-man movie, period, and probably the best superhero movie too

it's been months and i'm still baffled by the visuals in that movie

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
agreed with pretty much everything (except amazing 2) but I challenge you with Into The Spider-Verse as the best Spider-man movie, period, and probably the best superhero movie too

it's been months and i'm still baffled by the visuals in that movie

I said LIVE ACTION

Into the Spider Verse IS the best SM movie. I've already said that a few pages back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad