OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-720x1067.jpg

Leo so beautiful he even makes Brad Pitt look unsightly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's actually the opposite. There's a reason it sits at #1 on imdb's all time list. Those are user ratings.

I know plenty of people who call it a masterpiece, no matter the generational gaps.

It's tough to call anything a masterpiece but Shawshank has to be in the conversation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I may be demonstrating my ignorance here but if I recall my basic history, the Americans weren’t really combatants in WW1. As most Hollywood movies tend to tell American stories, I’d guess for the general North American audience, the stories may not have the same appeal as WW2 which I believe the Americans were also late to the fray.

I’m not disagreeing with your points at all, but think the reason we don’t see more WW1 movies is Hollywood needs a story that makes money to put it bluntly.

If no Americans are involved in their heroism fantasies, it probably didn't happen and is not worth a screenplay.

Reactions: sandviper

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Everything except maybe the cinematography and acting.

I just really really really didnt like the story. Unappealling. It just didnt do it for me.

I personally just appreciate a story spanned to such a big chunk of a lifetime like that. That is why I loved Once Upon a Time in America too. Having a director who slowly tell the story of an individual and really take his time with the character or characters. I feel like this is how most stories put on film should be like. Tell me a story. Visconti's The Leopard was like this too. Just epic, beautiful, great acting and you are given time to seeing characters develop. And TWBB is the only one Paul Thomas Anderson movie that I love because of this, it is my favorite style of movies, it is Cinema in its purest form.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I personally just appreciate a story spanned to such a big chunk of a lifetime like that. That is why I loved Once Upon a Time in America too. Having a director who slowly tell the story of an individual and really take his time with the character or characters. I feel like this is how most stories put on film should be like. Tell me a story. Visconti's The Leopard was like this too. Just epic, beautiful, great acting and you are given time to seeing characters develop. And TWBB is the only one Paul Thomas Anderson movie that I love because of this, it is my favorite style of movies, it is Cinema in its purest form.

No matter the form, I found the story between the characters, the dialogue, unappealling. It has nothing to do with any snob ideas about cinematography. The book itself is ŹZZZZZZzzzzz. I'd rather read Schindler's List *shudder*.

Cinema in its purest form is storytelling. Not all stories are great and universal, no matter HOW they are told. You need to like a story to appreciate the rest, otherwise it's a painful exercise.

You liked the story, I didn't.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
When watching a movie, do you sit through the closing credits or leave at The End?
Absolutely no reason for me to watch the credits unless I know there are extra scenes.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
But how do you know if there are extra scenes or not if you don't sit through the credits first? :laugh:

if everyone stays put and whispers about post-credit i'm staying (or if it's a marvel movie)

otherwise i'll take my chances and watch it on some shady video website later

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-720x1067.jpg

Leo so beautiful he even makes Brad Pitt look unsightly.

Resident HFBoards photoshoppers must be licking their chops at the potential here.

who's it going to be? Bergevin / Julien ? Max / Desharnais ? Armia / Kotkaniemi ? Weber / Mete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad