OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Feels like he's been waiting in the shadows for a long time. I haven't seen one of his movie since.. so long. I was looking at his movies on IMDB and I was surprised to see how good they are rated by the Metascore... yet I've barely seen any of those.

I think he's been the best actor on the planet for at least a few years. I don't think it's close tbh. If he isn't absolutely phenomenal as The Joker I will be shocked.

I've been anticipating this one for awhile.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think he's been the best actor on the planet for at least a few years. I don't think it's close tbh. If he isn't absolutely phenomenal as The Joker I will be shocked.

Not sure about the best, but he definitely enjoyable to watch

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So doing a re-watch of HP...haven't watched them in a while but...

Sorcerer Stone:
  • No vetting? The greatest wizard of all time hires a professor with Voldemort stuck to the back of his head?
  • 4 students are punished by going with Hagrid (who isn't supposed to be doing magic) to the forbidden forest to find someone who is killing unicorns?
Chamber of Secrets
  • Whomping Willow...do I even need to explain this one? Put some magical spells to keep students away from that shit lol
  • Not a single painting (all over Hogwarts) or ghost spots the Basilisk?
  • Freeing Dobby came way too easily. Lucious gives him a diary which happened to contain a sock and Dobby takes that as an act of freedom?

Still excited to watch PoA...I feel this is when the series gets better and begins to get darker.

Reactions: groovejuice

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
How dare you not put up a link.

.. but I agree

At Quick glance it looks like its going to be absolutely phenomenal, joaquin is easily one of the best actors of his generation and thats not an exaggeration either

I just hope it actually IS as good as we all hope, trailers have fooled before (lookin at you fantastic four)

Nicholson "got" it
Ledger took it somewhere else, nailed it, got nominated for an Oscar AND won,
However, Im a fan of Jared Leto honestly but his joker was just, upsetting on a number of levels, an interpretation i'd rather forget honestly
Will be curious to see what happens with this particular performance
Quick gut reaction im not THRILLED with his what looks like evil joker face paint but..we'll see i guess lol, it does kind of seem offputting, which could very well be the desired effect, I give it points for the "never before seen face paint variation for the joker" but I wonder if thats the final "evil" look however

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

He hasn't done anything great since Walk The Line. Her was pretty good but not great. Unless i missed something.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
You Were Never Really Here and Her are really really good

also picking an actual crazy person to play the Joker is kind of a great idea

Reactions: GoodKiwi

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I didnt mean his acting, but the movies themselves. Nothing earth shattering.

Just watched You Were Never Really Here. Decent flick and JP kills it as usual. Not the most watchable thing and the pacing can be a bit awkward but given the theme, I suppose I see what the director was going for.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Never seen anything like "Barry". This is one of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years.

It's like two different shows in one that can't coexist yet they do in a constant struggle with one another. Some transitions are ruthless. Human brain isn't meant to adjust like that. Didn't realize Bill Hader had this kind of a directing talent. I am now a fan of his.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He hasn't done anything great since Walk The Line. Her was pretty good but not great. Unless i missed something.

I don't know, maybe I'm biased, everything I watch with him is pure gold. There's never been a film he was in that I never liked .

I'm Here
Walk the Line
Return to Paradise (This made me a fan from day 1 and still my favourite)
The Master (loved it, and he was outstanding)
Her
The immigrant
You were never really here (movie wasn't phenomenal, but he was imo)

None of them are really block busters, but I don't judge an actors ability based on that. I enjoy every movie he is in just because he's in them, he turns otherwise lackluster movies and makes them enjoyable for me.

If not him, then who ? Plenty of older ones, imo he's untouchable.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Plenty of actors have a bigger selection of top movies, Leo's probably number 1 or close to it now, but I wouldn't put him in the same tier as JP as far as acting goes.
I believe we have exchanged our opinions on this, so at risk of repeating myself I'll ask...

Is there really a "tier" JP belongs to in the upper echelon of actors? I don't see it, because I do not believe there is anyone (living) who has a claim to stand there beside him if we only considered the man's acting range. Sheer talent-wise, he is there all by himself IMO.

That said, I've grown to appreciate broader definitions of one's mark when thinking about the all time greats of the industry. And, on that scale, I have DiCaprio above Phoenix. I'd even suggest that the gap between these two of my very favourite active actors is not all that narrow.

What are your thoughts?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Is there really a "tier" JP belongs to in the upper echelon of actors? I don't see it, because I do not believe there is anyone (living) who has a claim to stand there beside him if we only considered the man's acting range. Sheer talent-wise, he is there all by himself IMO.
I fully agree and this is all I meant. JP stands alone IMO.
That said, I've grown to appreciate broader definitions of one's mark when thinking about the all time greats of the industry. And, on that scale, I have DiCaprio above Phoenix. I'd even suggest that the gap between these two of my very favourite active actors is not all that narrow.

What are your thoughts?
I think that's fair to say. I sort of liken it to the Mario vs Wayne debate, on pure talent alone Lemieux (Phoenix) comes out ahead, but if the conversation is who is the greatest based on overall body of work etc while also being supremely talented (DiCaprio) is pretty far ahead. I was just comnenting on who I think is the best though, not who has left the biggest mark. Aside from Leo there are probably others ahead of Phoenix in that regard.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watched Shazam! and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing great but I put right after Wonder Woman in the DC movies.

For fans of the early 00s tv show the OC, you will love the appearance of someone near the end of the movie. It's just perfect.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Never seen anything like "Barry". This is one of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years.

It's like two different shows in one that can't coexist yet they do in a constant struggle with one another. Some transitions are ruthless. Human brain isn't meant to adjust like that. Didn't realize Bill Hader had this kind of a directing talent. I am now a fan of his.

The only show I sort of compare it to is Saul.

I’ve watched it three times. It’s amazing.

The closing scene with Hank last week was perfection.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012

I think I'll check this out today. Have you seen Mr. Inbetween? (Australian) Also about a hitman, seems a little similar.

Edit:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think I'll check this out today. Have you seen Mr. Inbetween? (Australian) Also about a hitman, seems a little similar.

Looks interesting. I'll give it a try, thanks for your recommendation!

P.S. Although, it's isn't anything like Barry, I promise. ;) The teaser I posted does really well to hide the second angle the show is coming at you from. It only appears briefly there, after the title rolls. For some reason they opted to produce a teaser that does very little to reveal the unconventional nature of the series. I'm not sure why they did that exactly.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
Looks interesting. I'll give it a try, thanks for your recommendation!

P.S. Although, it's isn't anything like Barry, I promise. ;) The teaser I posted does really well to hide the second angle the show is coming at you from. It only appears briefly there, after the title rolls. For some reason they opted to produce a teaser that does very little to reveal the unconventional nature of the series. I'm not sure why they did that exactly.

Alright and thank you, from someone that loves them angles (e.g. Rectify - angle city right?). I'm going to dive into Barry now. Edit again: I'm gonna like Barry. I like it already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad