Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Aside from his career numbers against the Jays, Gallardo is pretty overrated, though his numbers are quite decent. The only problem is his strikeout rate plummeted, and his mechanics scare me (if only because of how unorthodox it is), in fact, I was going to say how close his mechanics is to Lincecum, but I'm not exactly sure.

It was a pitching philosophy employed by the Brewers. You can see the similar high arm slot and posture in Estrada's mechanics. Whether it is more biomechanically efficient is up for debate (and likely makes pitchers have a higher risk to shoulder damage).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Everything I've heard from Shapiro leads me to believe they're not the type of front office that would part with a comp pick for a middle tier starter.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Sign Blanton. Trade Dickey for a decent reliever and put Sanchez and a Osuna at AAA to stretch them out. You add depth all over and set the pitching up for the next 3 years.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

this week, the blue jays hired kim away from the texas rangers to be their first director of player development. He will oversee the club’s minor-league operation, which includes eight teams in three countries, as well as the staff in various disciplines that shape individual programs for each player in the system.

Kim is only 34, and he admits he was surprised when the jays sought permission from the rangers to interview him. But he is no stranger to big challenges. In fact, he tends to seek them out, as he did when he chose to live in that stadium clubhouse instead of the more conventional housing available to players.

“as crazy as it sounds, i learned to feel comfortable there,†he said. “you were there from early in the morning, played a game, and then there were a few hours in the afternoon when i studied spanish with the clubhouse attendants there, and then you went to sleep. It was an uncomfortable situation that you got comfortable with pretty quickly.â€

shortly after wrapping up his peripatetic playing career in venezuela, kim – a pennsylvania native – took an intern job with the pittsburgh pirates in 2009. Two months later, he jumped at the rangers’ offer to work as an area scout in mexico. His fluency in spanish had quickly become a professional asset, as it would in subsequent assignments, including his most recent job as the rangers’ director of international scouting.

in the news release announcing kim’s hiring, the jays said he “will oversee the commitment of player development leaders and staff to include each player in the process of creating and realizing their physical, mental and fundamental goals.†in declaring kim an overseer of the commitment of others, it seemed a somewhat unusual mission statement.

Asked what that means, kim said it’s about accountability, his own included.

“from staff to players and everybody else in the organization, we have a commitment to get better every day,†he said. “every staff member, ever coach, every player – we need to be held accountable. It’s our responsibility to maximize our potential to help bring a world series to the toronto blue jays. It’s a very mportant message to get out there.â€

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
18mil a yr is what i heard. Is that the latest offer?

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Baltimore Orioles have been discussing a contract offer to free-agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes for five years and somewhere in the range of $75 million to $90 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...t-offer-free-agent-outfielder-yoenis-cespedes

The Baltimore Orioles have made a contract offer to free-agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, according to a report from MASN.

No further details were available on the offer, MASN reported, but sources told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday that Baltimore has been discussing an offer for Cespedes for five years and somewhere in the range of $75 million to $90 million.

The Orioles are looking elsewhere to boost their lineup while waiting for slugger Chris Davis to make a decision on where he'll play this year. They have offered Davis, a free-agent first baseman, in the vicinity of $150 million to return to Baltimore, yet Davis remains unsigned.

Sources familiar with the Orioles' hitter search said the club has grown increasingly more frustrated of late with Davis' demands and might be willing to head in a different direction.

"Cespedes is an option, but it has nothing to do with Chris," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Thursday. "We've talked about all of them. We talked about [Justin] Upton, we talked about [Howie] Kendrick. We're more interested in, do we want to give up a draft pick or not? We've got seven picks in the first 100 this year."

one77

Dec 22, 2013
We should trade for Carrasco :D Something along the lines of Hutchison + Pompey +

Stroman
Carrasco
Estrada
Happ
Dickey
-Chavez, Venditte, Loup, Cecil, Sanchez, Storen, Osuna

Travis
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Tulowitzki
Martin
Colabello/Smoak
Pillar
Saunders
-Goins 2B/SS, Colabello/Smoak 1B, UFA (OF), Thole (C)

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sportsnet

The Toronto Blue Jays avoided arbitration with three of their eight arbitration eligible players Friday morning, reaching one-year deals with Brett Cecil, Michael Saunders, and Steve Delabar.

Cecil will earn $3.8 million in 2016 after earning $2.475 million in 2015, an industry source told Sportsnet.

Saunders will earn $2.9 million in 2016 while Delabar will earn $835,000, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network. Saunders made $2.875 million last year, while Delabar earned $515,900.

The Blue Jays have five remaining arbitration eligible players, including AL MVP Josh Donaldson, Drew Storen, Jesse Chavez, Aaron Loup and Drew Hutchison. Donaldson's case will be of particular interest to the Blue Jays, since the third baseman could obtain a record raise.

Teams and players have until 1 p.m. ET Friday to exchange figures. As a file and trial team, the Blue Jays do not negotiate one-year deals with players after exchanging figures.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

and the dream of paying him 48 million dollars next year of a 50 mill over 5 year contract because the Nats are paying the difference is dead :sarcasm:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I still think the PTBNL is in that deal is based on the amount the Nats have to pay. That keeps the incentive there for both teams to get the best deal possible.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I still think the PTBNL is in that deal is based on the amount the Nats have to pay. That keeps the incentive there for both teams to get the best deal possible.

I think not overpaying a player is incentive enough for teams to try and get the best deal possible...At the end of the day, signing Revere for more than Storen is more expensive when they are only paying to even out the salaries, not the difference in salaries. It's a subtle note, but I think some people missed it thinking that the Nats would basically pay Storen's salary while we pay Revere's.

Good to know that they've gotten a few of the guys out of the way though, now there's only Hutch and Loup before getting to the 6-year Donaldson extension :sarcasm:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is there a Gallardo-like pitcher out there, available with no draft pick compensation attached?

Also, is this the year Scott Boras has finally bit off more than he can chew? If the Orioles go with Cespedes, where is Chris Davis going to end up getting the kind of contract Boras has him holding out for?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
There are rumors for Gallardo but not sure if they have money to say him, unless they trade Dickey or have some other options?

Morosi was on with Jeff Blair this morning and said the Jays might look at a Martin-like deal, with the first year a lower salary number than subsequent years. Thus, you get Gallardo this year at a decent number and then fit him in next year at a higher figure with Dickey, Bautista and EE coming off the books.

The complicating factor would be, obviously, the Jays would like to keep both (but more realistically one of) Bautista and EE.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If we sign Gallardo and then go and trade Dickey I'm gonna be royally pissed. First off, Gallardo has compensation on him. Second off, with what pitchers have been getting this offseason, we can expect that Gallardo's yearly salary will be worth more than what Dickey's making this year. Also, Dickey is a 200 inning pitcher who has more innings AND better numbers in the last 5 years than Gallardo.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think not overpaying a player is incentive enough for teams to try and get the best deal possible...At the end of the day, signing Revere for more than Storen is more expensive when they are only paying to even out the salaries, not the difference in salaries. It's a subtle note, but I think some people missed it thinking that the Nats would basically pay Storen's salary while we pay Revere's.

Good to know that they've gotten a few of the guys out of the way though, now there's only Hutch and Loup before getting to the 6-year Donaldson extension :sarcasm:

you sure?

Shi says difference.

They would never do it, it would piss the Nats off, and it's completely outlandish but if the PTBNL was not salary based then it would absolutely have made logical sense for the Jays to sign Storen to a 5 year 50 million dollar deal divided 48 million, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5.

Not exactly the best way to do business, tricking other teams into paying a player what's a basically a full 5 year deal, so they wouldn't do it but I would have had a laugh. Signing Storen to what would basically be over market value for 5 years and only having to actually pay Revere's salary + 2 million.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
also Loup signed, but you're missing Chavez, so Hutch and Chavez and then the big JD extension :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad