Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If we sign Gallardo and then go and trade Dickey I'm gonna be royally pissed. First off, Gallardo has compensation on him. Second off, with what pitchers have been getting this offseason, we can expect that Gallardo's yearly salary will be worth more than what Dickey's making this year. Also, Dickey is a 200 inning pitcher who has more innings AND better numbers in the last 5 years than Gallardo.

I can't envision any scenario that would see the Jays trade Dickey without getting a similar pitcher back in return. They are too weak at SP to be trading Dickey's 200+ innings.

Really, the only situation I can see Dickey leaving would be the Jays signing/acquiring two rotation pieces and then moving Dickey's money and the need for Thole to be the back up.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
you sure?

Shi says difference.

They would never do it, it would piss the Nats off, and it's completely outlandish but if the PTBNL was not salary based then it would absolutely have made logical sense for the Jays to sign Storen to a 5 year 50 million dollar deal divided 48 million, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5.

Not exactly the best way to do business, tricking other teams into paying a player what's a basically a full 5 year deal, so they wouldn't do it but I would have had a laugh. Signing Storen to what would basically be over market value for 5 years and only having to actually pay Revere's salary + 2 million.

Exactly. They probably have some kind of parameters around the amount that's being transferred, and tying it to the PTBNL just makes the most sense to me.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I wouldn't touch Fister with a 10 foot pole. (Big time pun)

I don't quite think that sentence presents a pun, given its construction. But more to the point, why not? You think his past year is more representative of his future contribution than his career marks? Or are there some specific red flags you've seen beyond the stats?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't quite think that sentence presents a pun, given its construction. But more to the point, why not? You think his past year is more representative of his future contribution than his career marks? Or are there some specific red flags you've seen beyond the stats?
His velocity dropped to the mid 80's by years end.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I think the past year is extremely concerning. He lost another 1.5 MPH from what was already one of the slower fastballs. Obviously he's a finesse/control guy, but lost velocity is never a good thing, and 1.5 MPH is a significant loss. A bounceback isn't entirely unreasonable, but I think he'll be closer to 2015 Fister than anything he's been in the past.

I would have been leery about going 1/$10 million let alone 2/$22.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I understand the system, but going to arbitration with a guy like him..over a difference of 450k?

Why should the onus be on the Jays to just give him what he wants rather than on him to take what they're offering?

That's why this process is in place, and obviously both sides are willing to go take a chance to see if they can get a slightly better deal.

I expect in a lot of places this will turn into an anti-Jays/Rogers thing, but it's really a nothing thing.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why should the onus be on the Jays to just give him what he wants rather than on him to take what they're offering?

That's why this process is in place, and obviously both sides are willing to go take a chance to see if they can get a slightly better deal.

I expect in a lot of places this will turn into an anti-Jays/Rogers thing, but it's really a nothing thing.

Yup. This just in from theScore app:

Report: Blue Jays, 3B Josh Donaldson heading to arbitration over $450,000

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

So we know what the Nats will be paying now, hopefully we hear what PTBNL we're giving them now. Shouldn't be much but I want to know anyway

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You're not making friends by taking the man to arbitration when you're off by 450k.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think the past year is extremely concerning. He lost another 1.5 MPH from what was already one of the slower fastballs. Obviously he's a finesse/control guy, but lost velocity is never a good thing, and 1.5 MPH is a significant loss. A bounceback isn't entirely unreasonable, but I think he'll be closer to 2015 Fister than anything he's been in the past.

I would have been leery about going 1/$10 million let alone 2/$22.

I'd entertain it because of that very bounceback potential. The forearm tightness he suffered from this past season was his first "major" arm related injury. Even then, there's a high probability of recovery with that. Wouldn't shock me in the least to see him return to around the same velocity as a starter. Looking at his charts out of the pen in 2015 he was around his '14 norms. The red flags are overstated honestly. The dollars per year I'm skeptical about aswell, but it's a good starting point.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
In a wide-ranging interview with the Toronto Star, Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro says he is focusing on the work at hand rather than the public’s perception of him.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...ent-mark-shapiro-says-hes-no-darth-vader.html

mark-shapiro.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

“That everything I do is a reflection of who I am, so I’m not going to cheat the process. I’m going to give a full effort. I’m going to go to bed feeling good about the effort I’m giving — always.”

A creature of habit, Shapiro wakes every day before dawn, sometime between 4:30 and 5 a.m. “Five at the latest,” he says.

He’ll have a coffee and read some email before working out. Then he’ll eat breakfast in his Theatre District apartment and walk “the same three-block route, stopping at the same Starbucks” en route to his office at the Rogers Centre.

Full plate

Shapiro arrives at a pivotal time for the Jays’ franchise, which marks its 40th anniversary this season. The Rogers Centre is in need of costly upgrades and set to undergo an expensive renovation; the organization’s spring-training lease in Dunedin is up after next year; and while the team is a legitimate playoff contender that fell two wins short of a World Series berth, its stock of minor-league prospects was depleted by last year’s trade-deadline frenzy.

Meanwhile, franchise cornerstones Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are set to become free agents after this year.

Given all that needs to be done, he says he isn’t dwelling on the public’s perception of him. “In these jobs, if you cannot handle criticism, fair or unfair, you’re going to have a fragile existence.”

But if he could impart one message to a skeptical fan-base, he said it would be that he’s here to win.

“I’m someone that cares deeply about winning and is going to wake up thinking about how to make the Jays better, is going to go to bed thinking about how to make the Jays better, is going to be consumed with only two things in life: my family and this organization, and that’s it. I don’t have a hobby; I don’t ski, I don’t play cards, I don’t play golf — nothing. It’s work and family for me.

“I’m a pretty boring guy, but if you love the team and you want someone that is working for the team that cares deeply and is going to work tirelessly, that’s who I am.”

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

Because you're not just dealing with dollar figures you're also dealing with people. You have to be able to manage the person at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad