Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Happ and Estrada are probably wishing they had different agents. Imagine what they would have got if they waited.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Name one slugger, regardless of position, who consistently had a strikeout rate over 30% in their prime, who then aged well.

The pool of guys who are ultra effective despite a 30% K rate is pretty small. I can only think of 4 1B that can fall into that category over the past 20 years or so. Howard, Dunn, Thome and Galarraga.

Thome and Galarraga remained great into their 40's. Howard tanked hard. Dunn didn't like baseball.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The pool of guys who are ultra effective despite a 30% K rate is pretty small. I can only think of 4 1B that can fall into that category over the past 20 years or so. Howard, Dunn, Thome and Galarraga.

Thome and Galarraga remained great into their 40's. Howard tanked hard. Dunn didn't like baseball.

I would also argue that Galaraga and Thome had some "help"

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That extra half million could potentially be a big deal in a UFA signing down the road. Its a part of the business and Donaldson apparently commented before that he had nothing against the team no matter how arb goes.

There is no "UFA's' in MLB...going to arbitration over 500k is kind of petty. Just give the guy what he wants. He filed for 11.8 you think 11.3..just pay him lol

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is Happ bringing Ray Searage with him?

Does Happ have amnesia and forget everything Searage taught him? Are the Jays unaware of the mechanical change in Happ's delivery in his successful stint with Pittsburgh? Do they not have access to those tapes to study it on their own?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I would also argue that Galaraga and Thome had some "help"

Thome is a saint.

There is no "UFA's' in MLB...going to arbitration over 500k is kind of petty. Just give the guy what he wants. He filed for 11.8 you think 11.3..just pay him lol

Being the MVP doesn't really change the process. Plenty of organizations look "petty" for filing a close number and taking the player to arbitration. I'd argue the Cubs lowballing Arrieta is more petty. Still, I think both the Jays and JD will agree on middle ground. Same goes for Arrieta and probably Chapman as well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Being the MVP doesn't really change the process. Plenty of organizations look "petty" for filing a close number and taking the player to arbitration. I'd argue the Cubs lowballing Arrieta is more petty. Still, I think both the Jays and JD will agree on middle ground. Same goes for Arrieta and probably Chapman as well.

The Jays are a file and trial team so there will be no settling on a middle ground, if they can't sign a long term contact then they will go to abitration and the arbitrator will pick either the Jays number or JD's number.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Jays are a file and trial team so there will be no settling on a middle ground, if they can't sign a long term contact then they will go to abitration and the arbitrator will pick either the Jays number or JD's number.

I didn't know whether or not Atkins will continue file and trial. If that's the case then they wouldn't negotiate a long term contract either.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

None of those players had a 30% strikeout rate in their prime years, save for Howard...we all saw how that turned out.

One thing those hitters mentioned help portray is that K% in power hitters go up as they age, not down. Only God knows where Chris Davis' numbers will go when his contact rates and pull percentage inevitably deteriorate.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I didn't know whether or not Atkins will continue file and trial. If that's the case then they wouldn't negotiate a long term contract either.

I was curious about it and then saw Wilner mention it in a tweet yesterday that they're still gonna be a file and trial team.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Can I get a hallelujah that Dan Duquette did not become the Jays' pres as was rumoured? Other than a congratulatory phone call from Ruben Amaro Jr, I can't imagine anyone will defend this contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad