Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It would be like in hockey having a breakaway to an empty net... and missing. Not just once, but THREE players in a row.

umm, that's an absolutely horrible analogy, breakway on an empty net is like 99.99% likely goal.

runner on 3rd less than 2 outs, infield in and the best K pitcher on the mound is like maybe 50% if you're lucky, so 50% for 2 guys, and then the last guy needs a hit so for him it drops to maybe 20%.

so that's 0.5x0.5x0.8 = 20% chance he wouldn't score. It's tough to believe but it happens.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
A runner on third, nobody out, and they couldn't get him in.
I just can't get over it.
If they were trying their best to NOT score the runner, they likely would have still scored him by accident. But to actually be trying their best to score the runner and they couldn't?

It would be like in hockey having a breakaway to an empty net... and missing. Not just once, but THREE players in a row.

Breakaway with an empty net is more so like having the bases loaded with no outs and a 3-0 count with Ricky Romero on the mound.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

With the new hires in the front office seems Shapiro is reading for the 2017 draft after reaping the draft picks that Bautista and EE have brought them. He's made no secret that rebuilding the farm system is his priority. Adkins and Kim have extensive scouting in the Caribbean seems like they'll focus on that area as well.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I know it's not the end-all be-all, but that Revere strike call on the ball that was in the bleachers really sticks in my craw to this day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We just hired someone for something

"Operations Director"

And the hire is a guy named Mike Murov, who was part of the Red Sox front office.

Apparently the job with the Jays is to be part of the data brain-trust, doing things like stats analysis or prepping for contract dealings or arbitration or the like.

We had three players in a row pull a Patrick Stefan.

Nope. As C4G said, it's not a good analogy. Posting that video doesn't change things. Empty net breakaways are gimmes. Runner-on-3rd with no outs is a sequence of pretty good opportunities, but still with a healthy chance for failure. Unlikely to have complete failure, but by no means so improbable as to be functionally impossible. It's not even as unlikely as one Patrik Stefan, never mind 3.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nope. As C4G said, it's not a good analogy. Posting that video doesn't change things. Empty net breakaways are gimmes. Runner-on-3rd with no outs is a sequence of pretty good opportunities, but still with a healthy chance for failure. Unlikely to have complete failure, but by no means so improbable as to be functionally impossible. It's not even as unlikely as one Patrik Stefan, never mind 3.

I think what bothers me is that it was a problem for the Jays all playoffs. Leaving players stranded.
KC on the other hand... well... if they got a player on base, it was pretty much a given that the run would score.

So ending our playoff run with a runner stranded on third from none out was an extrapolation of what was bothering me all playoffs.

Also, that strike 2 on Revere was literally in the batters box. I don't understand how an ump can make a call that bad at such an important time and still keep his job. When other people in the world are bad at their jobs, they get fired. And that ump is clearly really really terrible at his job. I just don't understand...

LaCarriere

I think what bothers me is that it was a problem for the Jays all playoffs. Leaving players stranded.
KC on the other hand... well... if they got a player on base, it was pretty much a given that the run would score.

So ending our playoff run with a runner stranded on third from none out was an extrapolation of what was bothering me all playoffs.

It's the playoffs, you're playing the best teams in the league. It's expected that the games are going to be tougher than the majority of the 162 games you play in the regular season.

They played 88 and 95 win teams. It's somewhat expected that they'll probably leave more runners on than usual, score less runs than their season average, give up more runs than average, hit for a lower average, etc.

Coincidentally the 93 win Jays beat the 88 win rangers and lost to the 95 win Royals.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well the Royals hit like .400 with RISP. Its not sustainable or anything obviously but it certainly was annoying.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Well the Royals hit like .400 with RISP. Its not sustainable or anything obviously but it certainly was annoying.

And I don't have the exact stats to back me up, but I believe Escobar's OBP was about 2.743 for that series.

And now that the memories of FS1 interviewing the guy who caught the totallyoverthefencehomerun & the Royals WS graphics during them game begin flowing back to me, KC losing to NE is the only solace I can take in the Pats win this weekend :laugh:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
And I don't have the exact stats to back me up, but I believe Escobar's OBP was about 2.743 for that series.

And now that the memories of FS1 interviewing the guy who caught the totallyoverthefencehomerun & the Royals WS graphics during them game begin flowing back to me, KC losing to NE is the only solace I can take in the Pats win this weekend :laugh:

:cry: You reminded me of Prince Neckbeard :rant:

Seriously, though, **** that guy. :laugh:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Story is officially overdone. Wishful thinking on the media's part for a generally accepted industry practice to somehow produce drama because of the proximity of the two parties submissions. As if things are somehow worse when two parties make private submissions to an arbitrator, and they turn out to be close rather than extremely different. Absolute jackassery.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Remember that dreaded 1999 offseason when the Yankees went to arbitration with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera? It's too bad management had to go and ruin the team's relationships with those players because I think they could have had a long, mutually successful partnership over the next decade or so.

It's a real shame the way that worked out.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Remember that dreaded 1999 offseason when the Yankees went to arbitration with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera? It's too bad management had to go and ruin the team's relationships with those players because I think they could have had a long, mutually successful partnership over the next decade or so.

It's a real shame the way that worked out.

Maybe they gave Jeter a gift basket afterwards - to mend fences.

sgm1

Oct 30, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Good morning all,

I'm looking at a trip to Toronto in June and am wonder what everyone experience with Jr. Jays saturdays/"running the bases" after any Saturday afternoon games? How long after the game are you able to get onto the field? We will be staying outside of Toronto, so if its going to be a significant wait to get on the field, we might not wait around.

Maybe i missed the discussion, but is there a preferred place to park for the game? I'll be coming from the Paris area.

Thanks in advance!

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So Kenny isn't going to talk about the Cubs putting in a 7.5m offer for Arrieta? I understand him being a little optimistic with his own 13m request, but that's still considerably lower than the 10.6m projection. I'd say Arrieta would be pretty mad if he ends up losing that case. Not sure if Donaldson would be as infuriated losing 450k.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Story is officially overdone. Wishful thinking on the media's part for a generally accepted industry practice to somehow produce drama because of the proximity of the two parties submissions. As if things are somehow worse when two parties make private submissions to an arbitrator, and they turn out to be close rather than extremely different. Absolute jackassery.

itd be a story if the Jays were grossly lowballing, but they aren't.

LaCarriere

It's a little ridiculous when they gave Smoak a 1 year 3.9M deal when he was projected to get 2.0M through arbitration.

If the accepted industry practice / logic is to save money for mid-season deals you don't give Smoak that kind of money and turn around and bicker over 450k with the league MVP.

Smoak isn't in the long term future of this team, Donaldson could be. Smoak is the guy you take to arbitration, not Donaldson.

It's not so much that they were in the same ballpark, but who they chose to go to arbitration with.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
It's a little ridiculous when they gave Smoak a 1 year 3.9M deal when he was projected to get 2.0M through arbitration.

If the accepted industry practice / logic is to save money for mid-season deals you don't give Smoak that kind of money and turn around and bicker over 450k with the league MVP.

Smoak isn't in the long term future of this team, Donaldson could be. Smoak is the guy you take to arbitration, not Donaldson.

It's not so much that they were in the same ballpark, but who they chose to go to arbitration with.

With Smoak, the thinking was that he was going off the platform from what he was earning with the Mariners, not the 1M last season. So while MLBTR projected him at 2M, they weren't taking the $3.75M he would have been going off of and probably awarded over $4M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad