Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Mark Shapiro, the president of the Toronto Blue Jays joined Prime Time Sports in studio to discuss a number of things including if the team will make more offseason moves, the futures of Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista and if grass is coming to the Rogers Centre anytime soon.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-4/Shapiro-pts-20160113-Interview.mp3

I expected Bob to bring the fire and be more prickly than he was during the interview to be honest. I like that he brought up the question about a new stadium though (to which he hadn't even thought about it yet). Other than that not alot of groundbreaking stuff. New renovations to "make it feel like a state of the art facility" will be on it's way over the next few years apparently but I think we already knew they were tackling that in some capacity.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
The location of the stadium is enough to not build a new one. Tearing it down and building a new one is now in excess of a billion. Doesn't make sense unfortunately. As a fan i'd love a new stadium.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The location of the stadium is enough to not build a new one. Tearing it down and building a new one is now in excess of a billion. Doesn't make sense unfortunately. As a fan i'd love a new stadium.

Rogers Centre is a perfectly adequate place to watch a baseball. If it offends some fans' delicate sense of aesthetics, they can feel free to cheer for another team.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Even if it was getting up there and had to be replaced, publicly funded stadiums never ever make sense. Just a total sink of money that has to come of our own pockets in some way.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Even if it was getting up there and had to be replaced, publicly funded stadiums never ever make sense. Just a total sink of money that has to come of our own pockets in some way.

I was thinking of the exact same video when I read that.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
As we get deeper into January, the remaining free agents who are not considered elite are going to start settling for bargains. Some real good potential value.

Whom I'd sign:
1. Blanton (MR)
2. Parra (MR)
3. A. Jackson (platoon LF/4th OF)
4. Uribe (back up IF)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As we get deeper into January, the remaining free agents who are not considered elite are going to start settling for bargains. Some real good potential value.

Whom I'd sign:
1. Blanton (MR)
2. Parra (MR)
4. Uribe (back up IF)

1. Yeah. I think someone will overpay him, but if it's short term at a reasonable cost? That would make the bullpen amazing even if Sanchez isn't in it.

2. To me, he would be their third lefty, so I'm not sure I like it.

3. I like it if they're really set on Pompey starting in Buffalo.

4. They have Barney on a major league deal as filler until Travis is back, so I don't see much of a fit.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Whom I'd sign:
1. Blanton (MR)
2. Parra (MR)
4. Uribe (back up IF)

Didn't Parra sign with Colorado.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I can see this as a good thing, Gallardo was one of the few pitchers to have constant success against our monster mash

he might have had one bad game against us, if memory serves me correct, I remember him being lights out on a few occasions

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Stroman
Estrada
Gallardo
Dickey
Happ

Storen
Osuna
Cecil
Sanchez
Loup
Chavez
Biagini

1. 2B Travis
2. 3B Donaldson
3. RF Bautista
4. DH Encarnacion
5. SS Tulowitzki
6. 1B Smoakabello
7. C Martin
8. LF Saunders/CF Pillar
9. CF Pillar/LF Pompey

Bench:
1B - Smoakabello
2B/SS - Barney
C - Thole
OF - Saunders/Pompey

AAA - Presumably Hutch if we get Gallardo, Venditte although I wouldn't be surprised if one of Osuna/Sanchez goes down to AAA to get stretched out

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Ugh, not Gallardo. I mean... he's an average major league pitcher, which you can never really have too many of, but I expect someone to regret the contract he ends up getting, not to mention the draft pick compensation.

I don't really buy it, but if it IS true, then at least it signifies that maybe they have a decent amount of money left to spend.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

how 'bout no. The upgrade not worth the contract he'll get and the pick he'll cost

I felt like this comment by Shapiro was going to draw some reaction.

Shapiro said that the clear need is always pitching depth. Him and Bob talked about the need for 7-8 major league starting pitchers, etc etc, and then Bob threw Yovani Gallardo's name out there. Shapiro made note about the many variables that go into signing a pitcher, and that they may not have the appropriate resources to get him (Gallardo), but a "Gallardo-type player" obviously makes the team better. He emphasized the value of the compensation pick and how it's a premium that you have to add on top of the salary you're paying and it all has to make sense.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
They are simply taking his Bobcat interview out of context as meaning we are interested in him.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Aside from his career numbers against the Jays, Gallardo is pretty overrated, though his numbers are quite decent. The only problem is his strikeout rate plummeted, and his mechanics scare me (if only because of how unorthodox it is), in fact, I was going to say how close his mechanics is to Lincecum, but I'm not exactly sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad