Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lol, where did you hear this?
His European agent said something to that effect earlier in the summer:

Poner is not concerned about there being no extension in place at this time. He did voice some of his thoughts regarding the deal itself and where things are at in negotiations, "we have our ideas, but the ball is in Edmonton's court. There's no rush yet, but either it happens quickly i.e by the end of August, or it doesn't work out at all."

Not sure if I would take the August cutoff as an absolute but the underlying sentiment is clear that this shouldn't be a protracted overly complicated negotiation. We're maybe a month away from Draisaitl saying he doesn't want the distraction of contract talks to happen during the season.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The stats don’t lie

It’s insane that Bouchard is more productive in the playoffs than forwards like Matthews.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
His European agent said something to that effect earlier in the summer:

Not sure if I would take the August cutoff as an absolute but the underlying sentiment is clear that this shouldn't be a protracted overly complicated negotiation. We're maybe a month away from Draisaitl saying he doesn't want the distraction of contract talks to happen during the season.
Meh...Nathan MacKinnon didn't sign his extension until training camp had already started

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Odds are very slim he takes less than $14 mill.

No reason to. If he wasn't so underpaid prior...maybe a discount but since he grossly outplayed that last one.

Gotta believe $14mill>

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I think Drai asks 14m no matter where he is. It isn't about location or anything other than money. The worse the mindset, the farther away it takes you from hoisting the Cup. You need more than that mindset to win and it explains why the Oilers ran out of gas, if that's the mindset of the locker room. I'm not against getting paid, but you spend your entire life practicing this craft, at the core of you it should be about the craft, not the money. The money always comes if you perfect your craft and forcing it is going to do nothing other than slamming the window shut because the players you need to make the most important step of your career you can't because the money they need to get them is sewn up by you.
How did you arrive at that conclusion about Drai? He doesn’t give me that vibe

Reactions: ManByng

Ledge And Dairy

Anyone else of note signing in the next two years? Or are Oilers going to have two of the highest paid guys in the league?
Marner and Rantanen will definitely get big deals if they stay with their respective teams. Bedard will get over 10M. Eichel, Kaprizov, and Robertson are all up in 26. Panarin too but I don't think he will get much of a raise from what his making now

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Stay on topic. Your opinion on how my posts “look” have nothing to do with the fact Draisaitl disappeared when it mattered most. The stats don’t lie. They had a healthy roster, against unhealthy rosters. Those stats also don’t lie.
We are staying on topic, you keep posting trash saying Draisaitl never showed up. He sure as hell DID show up and played Hurt. and "your point" My point is im using another player as an example of someone who NEVER shows up in the playoffs.

You say you dont remember the Montreal or Columbus series. LOL stop lying. I remember Matthews disappearing after Game 4 up 3-1 on Montreal and a week later after choking to Montreal, Matthews Marner Nylander and Andersen all hanging out at the UFC PPV with Bieber

Odds are very slim he takes less than $14 mill.

No reason to. If he wasn't so underpaid prior...maybe a discount but since he grossly outplayed that last one.

Gotta believe $14mill>
My guess, is he gets about 13.6 I doubt Bouchard gets 10 million like some think. He'll get a little under 10 early 9's

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
But but he should take a team friendly deal so they can win cup.... right edm fans
Fans can speculate all they want, they don’t know crap 💩! Media insiders seem to think he’ll become the NHL’s first ever $13 mil/per player, at least until McDavid gets his contract ! And the “team friendly” stuff was apparently what Leon himself said and not the fans or media? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I never believe a player or owner discussing a possible contract extension. Things get said to strengthen each sides bargaining position. Hopefully they get it done sooner than later.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder how much drai and McDavid have these conversations between themselves. They gotta be talking.

For ex maybe if drai knows 100% McDavid resigns, then he takes less to help team. But if McDavid doesn't sign or doesn't know yet, then maybe drai looks out for himself and gets max salary. They gotta know where eachother are at

I agree 100%. If I'm drai, I'm looking for reasonable assurance from mcdavid that he's planning to stay. Otherwise, I'm not staying in Edmonton.

Reactions: HabzSauce

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Draisaitl will be the highest paid NHL player (up until McDavid signs his new contract) simply because no other player of his caliber is currently negotiating a new contract during the given cap development.

He deserves to be. He has been on average a top 3 forward over the past 7 seasons, had a better playoff résumé than McDavid, who is arguably the most talented player of all time, before he got injured, and was the third fastest player in NHL history to crack 100 playoff points, only trailing Gretzky and Lemieux, while putting up similar goal numbers to Matthews and Pastrnak while also being the superior passer and playmaker imo (different to all the talk about him being some kind of power play merchant, I believe he was #1 in playoff even strenght points per game in NHL history up until he got injured).

Will this still hurt the Oilers a lot, considering that players like MacKinnon and Kucherov make less, giving their franchises more space to work with? Certainly.
But you still do it.

Reactions: zar

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
people seem to forget that at the time of Leon signing his 8x8.5 contract, everyone said it was waaaay over paid at the time. He should have been around 6ish.

Did he outplay his contract? Of course he did and he deserved it all... but doesn't change the fact of when he signed he didn't take market value, he took more.

He can do the same now but the difference is, I doubt hes going to out perform 12-14 mil contract now.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad