Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Against a bad team in their home rink, we looked the part of a playoff team.

Stood solid against them the first half of the first period; Great forecheck; all lines playing very solid defensive hockey. Snipe for a first goal. Kadri all over the place, making great plays, gets a goal, sets up a beauty, forechecking, etc. Kid's a star in the making. McClement great defensive play, komarov hitting everything and agitating beautifully. Scrivens played awesome first half of the game, stood tall the second half and gets a very well deserved shutout.

Great team win. Total team effort for the shutout.

This is a playoff team.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Is it too early to think that Kadri may be the real deal?

14 points in 16 games. Very good defensively. Very few mistakes. Drawing a ridiculous amount of penalties. Great playmaking. Hits.

Definitely still has 1C potential.

Also, Bozak is awesome.

AGREED, and I would also like to ask if it's too early to write off JVR as a potential 35 goal scorer over a full 82 game schedule.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Best part of the Leafs' current season?

They're a +10 in goal differential. That statistic is amongst the most telling of how good a team really is.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I still get a bit nervous when I see Scrivens try to play the puck and he gives out the occasional juicey rebound but he's rapidly gaining my confidence in the crease.

In seasons past the Leafs strung together wins just barely squeeking by, winning despite horrible defensive stats, or taking it to OT or SO. You could just tell it wouldn't last and the losses would start piling up eventually. This season, the wins have been much more decisive. They are playing a system together.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

14 points in 16 games. Very good defensively. Very few mistakes. Drawing a ridiculous amount of penalties. Great playmaking. Hits.

Also, Bozak is awesome.

Kadri is slowly becoming the complete package. Whats more exciting is that he has even higher potential to be a better player.

Bozak has been playing great. Some days the first line is invisible, but you can always point out a few great plays by bozie.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
AGREED, and I would also like to ask if it's too early to write off JVR as a potential 35 goal scorer over a full 82 game schedule.

JVR has been fantastic. I'd say he's been our best forward on most nights.

Not the greatest playmaker, but he has so many tools for scoring.

AND he's been fantastic on the PK and defensively 5 on 5.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Banked another win, Good job lads. :handclap:

New lines Idea

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Grabovski - Kadri - MacArther
Kulemin - McClement - Komarov
Blue bombers

Saying this for years, Grabovski just doesn't have the hockey sense for the middle.

Having said that, Grabovski has been given the role to shut down opposing teams top lines, not score. Two consecutive shutouts, three total on the year. Looks like he's excelling in the role. Although, I think your 3rd line would be equally as good as being a shut down line, at least until Lupul and Frattin return and a problem is on our hands. The flip side is, I think Caryle wants to have consistency, he doesn't want to juggle his shut down players, start throwing them on offense, then back to a defense first mentality... Grabovski stays there, unless he gets hurt, is my guess. Is this a good thing? I don't know, I don't think Grabovski is happy in the role, nor is he happy not scoring (analysts are bashing him, as are fans, completely ignoring that he's succeeding in his role).

The Leafs have so much depth right now, it's ridiculous. Hopefully we can package a few for an upgrade at C, or we could wait out the year, and hope to get a free one in Getzlaf.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Good on Carlyle to keep Grabbo's line to only 15 mins apiece tonight. Will need them to play up to 20 tomorrow against an offensive juggernaut tomorrow.

blendermf

GO LEAFS GO!
Dec 11, 2010
matthewfraser.ca
So if I did my calculations right Scrivens has a 9.39 save percentage now (3rd if no one else moved up), and roughly 1.93 GAA (good enough for 7th if no one moved up too much tonight).

:amazed:

Sure, these shutouts have given those stats a probably temporary boost, but whatever.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
props to Carlyle for making this team a TEAM..

before with Wilson you would never see the chemistry you see now. Now you have toughness and nobody messes with anyone on our team because you got McClaren, Orr, Brown, Fraser, Phaneuf and the toughness of Holzer and the grit of Komarov. I'm sorry but we have almost every element. I just wish Grabo would find his magic..

But even on the twitter the guys are joking around and seem to be enjoying the family bond of a TEAM. Great to see. I KNOW we will be in the playoffs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's Official, Ron Wilson was the cancer of the Leafs these past 4 years.

I agree. There are always going to be nights when you'll have ugly games. (Or stretches of them). And last year (or the past 4 years) we'd have them, and then Ron would go "it was a tough night," "or we ran into a hot goalie." And it never really occured to him that maybe his run and gun style of play was killing the team. And truthfully, even if he was told that he had to be more exciting and do it - I would have not done it.

(Because clearly, Carlyle was told to NOT do it).

Joe and Greg pretty much said it right off the bat: the team never bought into the system at all. Randy is the type of guy if you don't buy into his system, you're not going to play.

Now if only Stamkos and Tavares would do the same and ditch their teams.

Well we have to wait for them to hit RFA/UFA right? But wasn't Stamkos the one who said that he didn't want to be rude but he was really, really hoping that the Leafs would continue to not do well, so that they would draft him? I don't care how awesome you're playing in Florida, I bet you anything, when he's free, the Leafs makes and offer, and he's like boom, yes please.

I can't speak for Tavares but I'd agree.

For the amount of Toronto born players, it's odd that not more want to play for the leafs. (even bringing Crosby into this, he's been a Habs fan FOREVER but signs the monster deal with Pittsburgh. It's kind of sad, actually).

I think the next few years if we show that we're doing well - and make a playoff run or two-three, more players sign with us no problem

(And tothe person who asked re: Florida not doing well, despite their picks? Luck, I guess. because doesn't Columbus have that same issue? LOADS of First Rounders, and... nuffin).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Also, Bozak is awesome.

Well Kadri was a high pick, he always had the talent, didn't have the frame or commitment, but he sure does now, I don't see why he is not the real deal?

But obcourse he hasn't scored 58 points before I have heard. The way he is going if this were a 82 game season he would.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I guess many of you are too young to remember winning. It was always fun when people would say how bad the Leafs were at the beginning of the season and they would turn around and finish near or at the top. Every year it was the year that they would fail.. Good times

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Nazem Kadri always had high end NHL offensive skill. He is really putting that on display, and isn't sacrificing anything defensively. It is a treat to watch.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Leafs have so much depth right now, it's ridiculous. Hopefully we can package a few for an upgrade at C, or we could wait out the year, and hope to get a free one in Getzlaf.

If it were me - I'd wait to see how the Getzlaf/Perry thing goes, and then do some trading.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree. There are always going to be nights when you'll have ugly games. (Or stretches of them). And last year (or the past 4 years) we'd have them, and then Ron would go "it was a tough night," "or we ran into a hot goalie." And it never really occured to him that maybe his run and gun style of play was killing the team. And truthfully, even if he was told that he had to be more exciting and do it - I would have not done it.

(Because clearly, Carlyle was told to NOT do it).

Joe and Greg pretty much said it right off the bat: the team never bought into the system at all. Randy is the type of guy if you don't buy into his system, you're not going to play.

It's hard to believe there were actually people that defended Wilson last year, and said it wasn't his fault, he was a great developer of talent, and it was Burke's fault or something. I will be the first to admit this team has surprised me, but I always knew a better coach who understood how to use his bench, made all the players feel good, especiallly the spade men, the team would be better.

Ron Wilson was the problem, it's night and day this year how the team is performing. We may not win every game, but we will be in a lot more with this system than Ron and Gunless.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Ron Wilson was the problem, it's night and day this year how the team is performing. We may not win every game, but we will be in a lot more with this system than Ron and Gunless.
But,but Burke said if he fired Ronnie like we all wanted that he'd be hired the next day by another team. Was Brian lying to us?:laugh:

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Back 2 Back Shutouts! Somehow he made it look easy. 37 shots? Must be the defensive system?

A defensive system doesn't necessarily limit shots (they can come from anywhere --- our forwards don't block that well but a lot of the shots were from the outside), rather has players being responsible to their man and positionally. Limit large mistakes.

Edit: There are different types. See NYR: block shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad