Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
MSN

Some thoughts on what may lie ahead.

Makes so much sense for Amazon to want the TV rights, I'd put AppleTV as a Darkhorse to bid on the rights. Online streamers like AppleTV, Amazon have been more and more getting into the sports streaming game in recent years.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
MSN

Some thoughts on what may lie ahead.
If it's included with Prime I'm good, but if it's an add on that could change my tune.

In saying that, I can't see the NHL going away from traditional tv, and Regional packages are still worth something in Canada, so it will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I could be wrong about the bid for TV rights.

I am not wrong about them being a horribly managed company that would die in an instant to US based companies.

They have had the CRTC working for them for years. They charged over a dollar a minute for long distance calls in the 1980s and 90s. Infrastructure grants, you name it. This company has been a train wreck for years and everything they touch turns to crap.

It's almost impossible for a near monopoly to be in the red but they do it. Nortel my man.

I am not into corporate welfare. Canada does that best because we can almost never grow a business to world stage levels except for gold mining. We even lost potash. Canada is going to be a train wreck financially within 4 years. Mark my words

Respectfully I disagree, around a 10% margin in a recession economy is not a poorly managed company. The CRTC has been frequently locking horns with Bell in recent memory, the death blow for Bell in the Telecommunication industry was the recent CRTC ruling that forces Bell to sell it's bandwidth at wholesale rates to competitors, Bell takes all the financial risks, has to navigate through all the Federal regulatory boards and local municipalities zoning laws to build state of the art infrastructure but it's competition benefits from state of the art technology with zero risk and zero effort. It's like the CRTC telling MacDonalds if they want to do business they have to let their Drive Through to be used by Burger King.

No so sure Verizon, At & T and other American telecommunication companies would even want to come to Canada, too much government interference and red tape. I'm not sure I would want them to come up here either, based on my multiple American friends feedback their cell service is S#it , cheap service ($) with shitty quality.

If it's included with Prime I'm good, but if it's an add on that could change my tune.

In saying that, I can't see the NHL going away from traditional tv, and Regional packages are still worth something in Canada, so it will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years.

Money is king, I thought I'd never see the CBC lose it's Saturday night rights...

Reactions: CincoHolio

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

100%, I certainly don't want to pay any more on top of Prime.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Back in town for a month and change, and not having lived here for close on to 15 years, I’ll just say that if Bell leaving MLSE proves as beneficial as me leaving Bell as a frustrated client, then I’m good with the deal. Gawd, what an awful mobile service experience that company provides. 3rd world shit. And the prices…OMG 😡. Rant over, carry on.

• Wow
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
I could see Netflix being a possible player for NHL rights. They are getting into live programming with WWE Raw moving to the network shortly. I can see that being a step towards more live sports. And since the other 3 majors are locked up, the NHL might make sense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Respectfully I disagree, around a 10% margin in a recession economy is not a poorly managed company. The CRTC has been frequently locking horns with Bell in recent memory, the death blow for Bell in the Telecommunication industry was the recent CRTC ruling that forces Bell to sell it's bandwidth at wholesale rates to competitors, Bell takes all the financial risks, has to navigate through all the Federal regulatory boards and local municipalities zoning laws to build state of the art infrastructure but it's competition benefits from state of the art technology with zero risk and zero effort. It's like the CRTC telling MacDonalds if they want to do business they have to let their Drive Through to be used by Burger King.

No so sure Verizon, At & T and other American telecommunication companies would even want to come to Canada, too much government interference and red tape. I'm not sure I would want them to come up here either, based on my multiple American friends feedback their cell service is S#it , cheap service ($) with shitty quality.

Money is king, I thought I'd never see the CBC lose it's Saturday night rights...

I asked AI and this is part of the response.

• Rural and Remote Broadband Initiatives: The Canadian government partnered with Bell Canada to roll out better broadband in rural and remote locations, investing almost $19 billion in advanced networks and innovative services from 2020 to 2023.
There are others as well. Point being they get a lot of money and have been bailed out a few times, Nortel had all the potential and they blew it. It really is a common theme with them and it's reflected in the stock prices. Imagine the govt never invested in them or didn't support their monopoly for years.

Bell between it's grants and monopoly for decades should be a powerhouse. It's not because they were poorly managed.

Stock prices don't lie. Investors know

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Huge debtload that needs to be brought down. They are getting rid of lot of properties they view as not core, including a large chunk of their radio holdings to raise cash.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Didn’t Rogers overpay on the last broadcast deal with the NHL? I also heard rumours that Bell would be more aggressive going after the broadcast so maybe it’s just the two media conglomerates rotating in and out of the broadcast rights vs franchise ownership side of the fence. Little duopoly song and dance. Nothing to see for the little people.

I think its the opposite though. The fact that Bell sold / closed some radio stations earlier in the year is likely a bell weather for Bell revisiting their needs and wants in order to pay out their dividends. It's also the reason I think the Argos are doomed. Rogers won't want them since they don't provide content and Bell has recently let people go over less.

I'm sure Bell will submit a bid for Leafs Regional / NHL National Rights but they will be risk adverse while doing so.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Not sure how big this news is really. The Leafs print money and it’s not like there isn’t a cap…

And anyone who brings up the Jays…. They have a top 7 payroll, Rogers spends money they just have clowns running the show.

Someone tell me how a money machine like Leafs does anything different from Bell to Rogers? I don’t get it.

This to me when I think about the broader landscape of hockey in general is Rogers buying Bell out means Bell really has no plans on paying up for NHL rights in the future. You’d think if you had a large NHL portfolio owning the Leafs would be a great asset. Rogers seems like they truly want to own the sports landscape in Toronto. Having the Jays and Leafs in your portfolio is dollar signs

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad