Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Weve never had good goalies on paper. Hence their contracts. Quite the opposite. On paper our goalies havent been much to look at (ex. Campbell, Samsonov) but they generally overachieved in the season. We got what we paid for in the playoffs though.

So we continue to have no good goalies on paper then.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
How has Myers been?
I only caught a few glimpses and he seemed engaged and could actually skate. And seems to have made opening night roster?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Exactly. You get versatility and security with Jarnkrok. You can opportunity with Patches, but honestly he's probably starting the year 4th on our LW depth chart behind Knies, Robertson and McMann.

It seems as though McMann is the odd man out to start the year.

No issues with either of these deals. Hardly a plan the parade moment but both will likely contribute a greater on ice impact than their caphits

Jarnkrok likely has the greater on ice impact in the regular season, I'd give Patches the edge in potentially being able to actually contribute in a post season game.

Jarnkrok gets unfairly criticized given he actually provides positive value,.but at the point I think the newer front office would be better off spending the money on guys who got their vision

To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand on this.

You've gotta like the fact that you're going to have a former multi-30 goal scorer - a guy who has scored 82 goals in his past 210 games (a 32 goal pace) playing on what is potentially your 3rd line. In terms of coming up with a just backbreaking goal to break a game open like Nick Paul and Corey Perry have done to us in the past, I think it's great.

But there is a flipside.... you've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Domi, Robertson and now Pacioretty who are all primarily offensive-driven players. If all of these guys are in your lineup, it's going to be tough to put together a "shutdown" line that isn't centered by Auston Matthews.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It seems as though McMann is the odd man out to start the year.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand on this.

You've gotta like the fact that you're going to have a former multi-30 goal scorer - a guy who has scored 82 goals in his past 210 games (a 32 goal pace) playing on what is potentially your 3rd line. In terms of coming up with a just backbreaking goal to break a game open like Nick Paul and Corey Perry have done to us in the past, I think it's great.

But there is a flipside.... you've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Domi, Robertson and now Pacioretty who are all primarily offensive-driven players. If all of these guys are in your lineup, it's going to be tough to put together a "shutdown" line that isn't centered by Auston Matthews.

I don’t think you need a “shutdown” line necessarily. Let’s take the worst case scenario of ???-McDavid-Draisaitl as the big line on the other side, if you put out the traditional shutdown line against them you’re praying they spend 90 seconds grinding for a loose puck on the offensive zone boards, any other scenario and you’re down 2-0 or eating a bunch of holding penalties. If it’s Matthews + 2 fillers, you’re hoping they can go 2 gf 2 ga over the course of the game and that allows you to drop Nylander Marner and Tavares to abuse whoever they have leftover.

For my money the best shutdown line we’ve run this window was Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev because they never had to play defense unless they lost a D-zone draw, it was a safe 90 seconds of nothing happening in the opponents zone. We don’t have the speed and size down the lineup to run that anymore so you might as well go punch for punch and try to hide a Nylander and Marner in your other 38 minutes.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well we might have developed one now. But draft picks take time, they dont just step into the NHL.

You used contracts as a metric to measure how good a goalie is on paper... this tandem would be bad by that metric, or are we changing that now?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t think you need a “shutdown” line necessarily. Let’s take the worst case scenario of ???-McDavid-Draisaitl as the big line on the other side, if you put out the traditional shutdown line against them you’re praying they spend 90 seconds grinding for a loose puck on the offensive zone boards, any other scenario and you’re down 2-0 or eating a bunch of holding penalties. If it’s Matthews + 2 fillers, you’re hoping they can go 2 gf 2 ga over the course of the game and that allows you to drop Nylander Marner and Tavares to abuse whoever they have leftover.

For my money the best shutdown line we’ve run this window was Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev because they never had to play defense unless they lost a D-zone draw, it was a safe 90 seconds of nothing happening in the opponents zone. We don’t have the speed and size down the lineup to run that anymore so you might as well go punch for punch and try to hide a Nylander and Marner in your other 38 minutes.

Correct... but in theory, Calle Jarnkrok could have probably been a member of a line like that.

Obviously day 1 lines are probably not going to carry through to the end of the year, but there just seems to be something "awkward" about how the Leafs lineup comes together -- especially in the middle.

Tavares with Domi & Nylander -- should certainly be able to put up some numbers -- but obviously a bit questionable when it comes to defensive play.

You then take Pacioretty & Robertson, and put them between Pontus Holmberg. It feels you're going to want to "insulate" both the Tavares line and that one.

It also leaves you with having to continue wasting Mitch Marner's energy on the PK, and without a real 5th or 6th penalty killer.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Correct... but in theory, Calle Jarnkrok could have probably been a member of a line like that.

Obviously day 1 lines are probably not going to carry through to the end of the year, but there just seems to be something "awkward" about how the Leafs lineup comes together -- especially in the middle.

Tavares with Domi & Nylander -- should certainly be able to put up some numbers -- but obviously a bit questionable when it comes to defensive play.

You then take Pacioretty & Robertson, and put them between Pontus Holmberg. It feels you're going to want to "insulate" both the Tavares line and that one.

It also leaves you with having to continue wasting Mitch Marner's energy on the PK, and without a real 5th or 6th penalty killer.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the current set up, the 2nd and 3rd line have skating/defensive issues that both want heavy offensive zone starts to do damage against weaker units. Imo Pacioretty-Tavares-Marner and Robertson-Domi-Nylander at least gives you two different looks that need two different types of defending to deal with. The Marner unit plays slow and heavy with ozone starts and the Nylander unit can play quick counterpunch offense, they both need to be sheltered but at least you can mix them up and get the Nylander unit against slow heavy defense and the Tavares unit against the weaker puck moving units to force the other team into making choices between a rock and a hard place. As it is, neither group is that fast or heavy as a unit and can be defended adequately by either option.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Jarnkrok comes across as a smart toolsy player with no real special attribute that would work well in a pack rat mentality with similar players. But if you drop him on a unit with very different guys and he’s supposed to bring his unique attributes, I’m afraid it’s not that unique. That’s why he seems to have fallen out of favour. He does nothing standout and seems redundant.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't worry, when the Leafs are first in the league at the end of October the bandwagon will be at capacity.
Let’s see if they continue their trend of slow start or actually come out gun blazing

Jarnkrok comes across as a smart toolsy player with no real special attribute that would work well in a pack rat mentality with similar players. But if you drop him on a unit with very different guys and he’s supposed to bring his unique attributes, I’m afraid it’s not that unique. That’s why he seems to have fallen out of favour. He does nothing standout and seems redundant.
Calle is someone that can fit on most teams and be a useful players. Leafs just don’t have a spot for him bc we don’t need wingers

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs notes: Steven Lorentz now the one on Hockey Night In Canada

Steven Lorentz is definitely allowed to stay up late for Maple Leafs games now.
Upon signing a one-year deal with Toronto on Monday, cementing his move to the team he grew up watching with his father, Mark, in his Waterloo home years ago, Steven’s first thought was staring up at the TV with his parents as a kid.

“Mom put me to bed sometimes and maybe I’d sneak back down and Dad wouldn’t say anything,” Lorentz said. “Just one more period and at second intermission I’d probably have to go back up to bed.”

The 28-year-old, who won a Stanley Cup in Florida last season, was already receiving congratulatory messages from his hometown early Monday.

“I wouldn’t be here without (the support) of a lot of those people. To share it with them is really special. I’m excited for the official Game 1 (Wednesday in Montreal) to pull that jersey over my head.”
Seems like a good kid.

Reactions: 1specter

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Did anyone see anything from pacioretty that actually warranted a contract? Lol

He probably deserves a contract from someone but that shouldn't be with the Leafs.

It really bothers me he was promised a spot before even showing he deserved it. I don't think he earned it through either merit, or entitlement, compared to some of the younger guys who, in my mind anyway, deseved that spot more. He played well against the divisional bottom feeders and their AHL teams, but it's a long season, and Pacioretty is pretty old with serious injury concerns.

We'll see what happens when the going gets tough and the competition is fierce.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Patches in camp wasn't there to prove he was better or more deserving than one of our fringe guys. He was there to prove he was healthy and could play. Now that the games count, they will compete for ice time and the best players will play.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad