Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Weve never had good goalies on paper. Hence their contracts. Quite the opposite. On paper our goalies havent been much to look at (ex. Campbell, Samsonov) but they generally overachieved in the season. We got what we paid for in the playoffs though.

So we continue to have no good goalies on paper then.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
How has Myers been?
I only caught a few glimpses and he seemed engaged and could actually skate. And seems to have made opening night roster?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Exactly. You get versatility and security with Jarnkrok. You can opportunity with Patches, but honestly he's probably starting the year 4th on our LW depth chart behind Knies, Robertson and McMann.

It seems as though McMann is the odd man out to start the year.

No issues with either of these deals. Hardly a plan the parade moment but both will likely contribute a greater on ice impact than their caphits

Jarnkrok likely has the greater on ice impact in the regular season, I'd give Patches the edge in potentially being able to actually contribute in a post season game.

Jarnkrok gets unfairly criticized given he actually provides positive value,.but at the point I think the newer front office would be better off spending the money on guys who got their vision

To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand on this.

You've gotta like the fact that you're going to have a former multi-30 goal scorer - a guy who has scored 82 goals in his past 210 games (a 32 goal pace) playing on what is potentially your 3rd line. In terms of coming up with a just backbreaking goal to break a game open like Nick Paul and Corey Perry have done to us in the past, I think it's great.

But there is a flipside.... you've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Domi, Robertson and now Pacioretty who are all primarily offensive-driven players. If all of these guys are in your lineup, it's going to be tough to put together a "shutdown" line that isn't centered by Auston Matthews.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It seems as though McMann is the odd man out to start the year.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand on this.

You've gotta like the fact that you're going to have a former multi-30 goal scorer - a guy who has scored 82 goals in his past 210 games (a 32 goal pace) playing on what is potentially your 3rd line. In terms of coming up with a just backbreaking goal to break a game open like Nick Paul and Corey Perry have done to us in the past, I think it's great.

But there is a flipside.... you've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Domi, Robertson and now Pacioretty who are all primarily offensive-driven players. If all of these guys are in your lineup, it's going to be tough to put together a "shutdown" line that isn't centered by Auston Matthews.

I don’t think you need a “shutdown” line necessarily. Let’s take the worst case scenario of ???-McDavid-Draisaitl as the big line on the other side, if you put out the traditional shutdown line against them you’re praying they spend 90 seconds grinding for a loose puck on the offensive zone boards, any other scenario and you’re down 2-0 or eating a bunch of holding penalties. If it’s Matthews + 2 fillers, you’re hoping they can go 2 gf 2 ga over the course of the game and that allows you to drop Nylander Marner and Tavares to abuse whoever they have leftover.

For my money the best shutdown line we’ve run this window was Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev because they never had to play defense unless they lost a D-zone draw, it was a safe 90 seconds of nothing happening in the opponents zone. We don’t have the speed and size down the lineup to run that anymore so you might as well go punch for punch and try to hide a Nylander and Marner in your other 38 minutes.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well we might have developed one now. But draft picks take time, they dont just step into the NHL.

You used contracts as a metric to measure how good a goalie is on paper... this tandem would be bad by that metric, or are we changing that now?

Ad

Ad

Ad