Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I went back like 8 years into his career the other day before nhl.com stopped working. But, the most giveaways he had in a season was 11 and that season he had a career high 38 takeaways as well. He had more takeaways than giveaways each season.

Despite not scoring much in the playoffs he is consistently played in important games by each team he plays for. He has 108 playoff games to show for it in his career. He is likely to play in the playoffs full time while bringing strong ES defense and high level physicality.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Quite clear Keefe wanted to play a more hard nosed game, while Dubas didn't want that direction. Or so it seems.
I think Dubas attempted to do it a number of times and it just didn't quite work. I think part of it that has been missing is just being annoying to play against. Florida up and down the lineup were absolute ass holes the entire series. We weren't soft but we never dragged the other team into the fight. Bertuzzi isn't some big bruiser but he plays like an asshole. Matthews and Marner are going to be dragged into the fight a lot more this year on a line with him like they were against Montreal. Domi and Reaves can do the same thing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was clear that Keefe appreciates hard nosed hockey more than Dubas before Dubas was even gone.

Sheldon Keefe makes surprising statement regarding newcomer Ryan Reaves

Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe has seen with Reaves, Keefe, along with the rest of the coaching staff and the management group in Toronto have really enjoyed what Reaves has brought to the team in the early-going.

"A lot of confidence, swagger... consistency. That part of it, I wasn't quite sure on that end. You know, you don't really know until you see a guy and you work with him everyday, but his consistency, his demeanor and his attitude, everything that's he's brought here daily and then his consistency in his practice habits, consistency with how he's played on the ice - I've been really, really impressed.

This is a true professional who knows his job. When I say that, I'm not referring to his role as a physical player - the fighting and all that kind of stuff. He, defensively, knows his responsibility. He's gotten it right pretty much every time and plays hard and smart, keeps his shifts short - I've been really impressed with what we've gotten from Reavo here so far. I thought he was excellent in the first game the other night, so I've been thrilled with him here and what he's brought to our group." - Sheldon Keefe

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I like it

Don't get me wrong. I liked the signing for TO but he had chances to deal with it that game. To whinrme to the media and suggest waiting til what? March lol. Looks weak.
And ask Graves if he has ever punched n jumped a player. At keast X let him square up n toss first. I think he just got caught of guard. No biggie.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Don't get me wrong. I liked the signing for TO but he had chances to deal with it that game. To whinrme to the media and suggest waiting til what? March lol. Looks weak.
And ask Graves if he has ever punched n jumped a player. At keast X let him square up n toss first. I think he just got caught of guard. No biggie.

Every person looking to fight someone always waits until they are dead tired at the end of the shift to do so :huh:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

The Leafs are down by one in this clip trying to mount a comeback. Reaves just iced it at the end of a shift. He’s not gonna fight just for fighting’s sake at this point.

If Habs fans want to do victory laps because Xhekaj won what could be charitably called a wrestling match let them, it’s going to be their only significant victory of the season.

Reactions: 1specter

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Public Service Announcement:

If you decide to fight someone or look for a fight you might be surprised at how little your opponent might care about honour or what's fair.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

To Reaves defence, the Leafs were pretty much chasing the game the time even though they dominated in the 2nd period. Reaves is smart enough to know not to give more advantage to the Habs. Imagine he starts a fight and the Leafs end up getting a penalty and put the Habs in PP.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
To Reaves defence, the Leafs were pretty much chasing the game the time even though they dominated in the 2nd period. Reaves is smart enough to know not to give more advantage to the Habs. Imagine he starts a fight and the Leafs end up getting a penalty and put the Habs in PP.

Fair enough. Not saying he shoulda taken an instigator by when X initiated contacted he coulda asked. Just seemed odd when combined with post game. But lots of players use the media to try n get under another's skin and Reaves still has the gift of gab

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The Leafs are down by one in this clip trying to mount a comeback. Reaves just iced it at the end of a shift. He’s not gonna fight just for fighting’s sake at this point.

If Habs fans want to do victory laps because Xhekaj won what could be charitably called a wrestling match let them, it’s going to be their only significant victory of the season.

No victory lap lol. And I don't represent all Habs fans but ok.
Never even said X won the fight. Sensitive? And yes the Habs will not be good this year. Agreed.

Down by 1, so Reaves thought he was needed to provide offense and was afraid to sit for 5? Reaves was at the end of a 30 sec shift? Keep reaching.
Nah he'd rather complain after the game to the media instead of taking care of it in game. (which could of at least been attempted without an instigator)
And he is the pot calling the kettle........in that quote.about being jumped. It's avail on video with a few of his other fights. And X let him square up, Reaves tossed the first couple n got his bucket off.
No biggie.

As an aside I liked the signing by TO but he looked weak in that quote. JMO.

Every person looking to fight someone always waits until they are dead tired at the end of the shift to do so :huh:
How long were each player on the ice that shift. I honestly don't know.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
No victory lap lol. And I don't represent all Habs fans but ok.
Never even said X won the fight. Sensitive? And yes the Habs will not be good this year. Agreed.

Down by 1, so Reaves thought he was needed to provide offense and was afraid to sit for 5? Reaves was at the end of a 30 sec shift? Keep reaching.
Nah he'd rather complain after the game to the media instead of taking care of it in game. (which could of at least been attempted without an instigator)
And he is the pot calling the kettle........in that quote.about being jumped. It's avail on video with a few of his other fights. And X let him square up, Reaves tossed the first couple n got his bucket off.
No biggie.

As an aside I liked the signing by TO but he looked weak in that quote. JMO.

How long were each player on the ice that shift. I honestly don't know.
Idk how long exactly but I do remember that icing call and how pissed he was at himself because he wanted a change because the Leafs players were out there for a while. Person who made that clip is a Montreal homer and knew exactly what he was doing making that 7 second clip, but that's the internet for ya.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

It would be a good way to alienate coaches and team mates to go pick a fight and get an instigator penalty for selfish reasons while trailing in the game.

Reaves had 100% the correct answer...we will see him 2 more times.
Lets not make this a gong show and have a revenge fight game 1.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Reaves 35 seconds
Xhekaj 19 seconds

TY, so not as big a deal as made out to be by a poster?

Good luck Leafs fans. Sincerely hope ya get something significant come spring to cheer for been to long.
Love Marners game, Cowan will be a fan fav in a couple years. No hate for Leafs here.
That left when I got involved with AAA MM teams n a Jr team

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Quite clear Keefe wanted to play a more hard nosed game, while Dubas didn't want that direction. Or so it seems.

Clifford and Simmonds were likely attempts to fit that need from Dubas for his coach. Keefe even went as far as starting both of those guys in game 1 of the '22 Tampa series,.though that experiment didn't last long

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Clifford and Simmonds were likely attempts to fit that need from Dubas for his coach. Keefe even went as far as starting both of those guys in game 1 of the '22 Tampa series,.though that experiment didn't last long
Yep. Dubas had this type of player for pretty much the whole time he was here. The only real difference is that we're paying double the amount and lost a better option to get a slightly better fighter.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Couldn't imagine still complaining about Reaves right now. Wouldn't be me.
Nobody was complaining. I was pointing out how it compares, because some at the top of page seemed to misremember. Besides, the concern with Reaves isn't whether or not he'd have an adrenaline rush and try to impress in the season opener with a new team against a division rival. It's everything else, for the next 3 years, at his age, at this cost. We'll see how it plays out, but nothing has changed after 1 game.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nobody was complaining. I was pointing out how it compares, because some at the top of page seemed to misremember. Besides, the concern with Reaves isn't whether or not he'd have an adrenaline rush and try to impress in the season opener with a new team against a division rival. It's everything else, for the next 3 years, at this cost. We'll see how it plays out, but nothing has changed after 1 game.
The entire contract can be buried....who cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad