Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Auston Matthews passed the Leafs player-of-the-game belt to Ryan Reaves tonight

Auston Matthews on Ryan Reaves:

"He’s been an unreal addition, big hits, just kind of getting the momentum back on our side, & obviously he’s not afraid to chuck them. It’s awesome to see & I imagine there’s going to be a lot more of that throughout the rest of the season"

FB_IMG_1697374617316.jpg

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
To still not like and see the apparent value he's brought in the first two games is a little special.
I could be wrong but I think the “Dubas Adoration Society” are leading the way in criticizing this move because it highlights that despite his attempts (Simmonds and Clifford), he couldn’t bring in someone who has impacted this lineup like Reavo has thus far. It’s almost like they don’t want Treliving to succeed so that their grand poobah is exalted.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I never understood the comparison to Simmonds, Wayne never had the “fear factor” this guys brings, literally the toughest guy in the game. You had to be aware of Wayne, and obviously in his prime more skilled, but the player we had to Reaves, it simply isn’t the same, and I think people are realizing that now. Reaves is a “bigger than life” persona, on and off the ice, that has any impact beyond a simple fighter.

I‘ve been impressed with him always being on the right side of the puck. He isn’t fleet of foot and he knows it, smart defensively, responsible, simple and north south. All the whining over a guy on a minimum a cap hit, with term that can be buried if he fades, seems like a waste of energy. I wonder what Jonas thinks now, because this guy is worth every penny, and then some, so far.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
To still not like and see the apparent value he's brought in the first two games is a little special.
Honestly, its tough to judge. I like having someone who can fight and starts physical play. Hes certainly done that, which is nice to see.

He's also part of a fourth line that spent the entire night in their end and struggled to defend. Keefe had them on a few times after a GF and it cost us, either in momentum or a big GA. Im pretty sure that GA, was off a Reaves mishandle and an awkward forecheck that left him chasing for an easy Wild transition. Kampf and Reaves have both really struggled ES in the first 2 games.

So far hes exactly as advertised, both good and bad.

Big Hit ---> Big Fight ---> Big Intensity Boost ---> Big Momentum Change --> Big Win

What's not to like? :wg:
We got scored on almost immediately after his fight. Nice of Matty and Marnee to pick us up after that though

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could be wrong but I think the “Dubas Adoration Society” are leading the way in criticizing this move because it highlights that despite his attempts (Simmonds and Clifford), he couldn’t bring in someone who has impacted this lineup like Reavo has thus far. It’s almost like they don’t want Treliving to succeed so that their grand poobah is exalted.
They'd be better off taking the approach that Dubas had all of this in the works already, Treliving just signed the deal that Dubas had set up.

Honestly, its tough to judge. I like having someone who can fight and starts physical play. Hes certainly done that, which is nice to see.

He's also part of a fourth line that spent the entire night in their end and struggled to defend. Keefe had them on a few times after a GF and it cost us, either in momentum or a big GA. Im pretty sure that GA, was off a Reaves mishandle and an awkward forecheck that left him chasing for an easy Wild transition. Kampf and Reaves have both really struggled ES in the first 2 games.

So far hes exactly as advertised, both good and bad.

We got scored on almost immediately after his fight. Nice of Matty and Marnee to pick us up after that though
At the end of the day he's still a 4th liner playing with other 4th liners. He's not going to be perfect and will certainly have limitations, like all 4th liners.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
At the end of the day he's still a 4th liner playing with other 4th liners. He's not going to be perfect and will certainly have limitations, like all 4th liners.
The trouble is they're a bad 4th line right now, not just a bad line.

Still early and we know Kampf struggled out of the gate last year, so hopefully they turn it around with their on ice play

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
They'd be better off taking the approach that Dubas had all of this in the works already, Treliving just signed the deal that Dubas had set up.

I like that he looks like he knows about his limitations and plays accordingly though lol. Like he's clearly the least talented player on the team, but at least he doesn't try to carry the puck. I think a reason why Simmonds really struggled here was he still kind of tried to play like an offensive guy despite not being able to skate at an NHL level anymore.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The moment you start commenting on Reaves' play on the ice is the moment you miss the point entirely. His value, and the purpose behind his signing, goes well behind anything he does on the ice.
His impact on the ice can't be understated though. Look at how his hits, fights and overall presence has given the Leafs momentum and allowed the stars to thrive.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
His impact on the ice can't be understated though. Look at how his hits, fights and overall presence has given the Leafs momentum and allowed the stars to thrive.
But his impact on the ice will dwindle as the games get bigger. I don't think we'll see him get 8 or 9 minutes per game in the playoffs because there is risk in giving him that much ice time. But his off-ice impact will remain significant.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like that he looks like he knows about his limitations and plays accordingly though lol. Like he's clearly the least talented player on the team, but at least he doesn't try to carry the puck. I think a reason why Simmonds really struggled here was he still kind of tried to play like an offensive guy despite not being able to skate at an NHL level anymore.
:thumbu::thumbu:

But his impact on the ice will dwindle as the games get bigger. I don't think we'll see him get 8 or 9 minutes per game in the playoffs because there is risk in giving him that much ice time. But his off-ice impact will remain significant.
I think the opposite might be true. This team has excelled during the regular season, it's the biggest games in the playoffs where they wither away and that' what Reaves was brought in to help with. Maybe his presence will help and maybe it won't, we'll see in the spring but how many minutes he plays isn't really the point IMO,

Edit - maybe I didn't explain that very well. My point is that he doesn't have to be on the ice, in order to have an impact on what happens on the ice if that makes sense. I'm hoping that his mere presence has a positive impact in the sense that everyone plays a bit less scared than they would be without him being on the team.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah but by then the Leafs will have a new attitude ingrained into their game, even if he plays less or not at all in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
After watching these 2 games… It’s safe to say, Gudas and Bennet would have paid the toll if Reaves was on the team last year.

Reactions: myleafs

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Best $1.3M spent. Anyone who can’t see that hasn’t played hockey before. The difference a guy like that can make on the ice and in the locker room is extremely understated. Especially when you consider our roster.

Put some hype hip hop on in the locker room instead of T Swift, push the guys in the gym, create havoc on the ice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Auston Matthews passed the Leafs player-of-the-game belt to Ryan Reaves tonight

Auston Matthews on Ryan Reaves:

"He’s been an unreal addition, big hits, just kind of getting the momentum back on our side, & obviously he’s not afraid to chuck them. It’s awesome to see & I imagine there’s going to be a lot more of that throughout the rest of the season"

View attachment 753203

Do they HAVE to pass belt? because you can make the argument they should have kept the belt on Matthews.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The trouble is they're a bad 4th line right now, not just a bad line.

Still early and we know Kampf struggled out of the gate last year, so hopefully they turn it around with their on ice play

And that's with home ice advantage. I can't imagine how bad it'll get without that. They have struggled mightly at generating anything. The blame doesn't land only on Reaves but yeah... he ain't helping much.

But for now we'll take the hits and the fights, it's all fine and dandy. We'll see how impactful that is later in the season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And that's with home ice advantage. I can't imagine how bad it'll get without that. They have struggled mightly at generating anything. The blame doesn't land only on Reaves but yeah... he ain't helping much.

But for now we'll take the hits and the fights, it's all fine and dandy. We'll see how impactful that is late in the playoffs.
FYP.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

But for now we'll take the hits and the fights, it's all fine and dandy. We'll see how impactful that is later in the season.

I am trying to find how many goals Vegas' 4th line scored in the playoffs.... 7? I think Toronto got like 2 or 3?

Yeah, you'd want your 4th line to score goals in the playoffs. But I think Toronto's bigger issue is that the first two lines go completely ghost mode year after year in the playoffs. That's the bigger issue imo. Will Reaves help with this? Don't know.

Agreed - we need to see what Reaves looks like come game 82. But so far, this team has swagger for the first time in years, and I think Reaves has had a big part in cultivating that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am trying to find how many goals Vegas' 4th line scored in the playoffs.... 7? I think Toronto got like 2 or 3?

Yeah, you'd want your 4th line to score goals in the playoffs. But I think Toronto's bigger issue is that the first two lines go completely ghost mode year after year in the playoffs. That's the bigger issue imo. Will Reaves help with this? Don't know.

Agreed - we need to see what Reaves looks like come game 82. But so far, this team has swagger for the first time in years, and I think Reaves has had a big part in cultivating that.

It isn't about scoring goals per say, but if your fourth line gets caved in shot attempts game after game, shift after shift, it's not good. They'll get stuck on the ice for an icing and guess who's coming over the boards? Like I understand Reaves will have a great hits, fun fights and he's a cool guy to have around but you need more from those players then just that. It's 2 games in and people are saying he's the best signing of the summer... I can appreciate the intangibles but it will get really bad if this keeps up and people will really turn on him once the honeymoon phase wears off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad