Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Reaves has been as advertised physically and brings a lot of energy, and hasn't even been a totally awful player. The problem with the line is that Kampf has been brutal and doesn't seem to mesh with Reaves/Gregor at all. It's just not going to work out to have a 4th line that constantly gets hemmed in and outscored every night

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@innefectivemath

Ryan Reaves has played 18 minutes of 5v5 time for Toronto this season, during which the Leafs have been outchanced 1.5 xG to 0.3 and outscored 2-0; and still I have to see posts about how he is helping the team win. The market for tiger-repelling rocks remains strong, evidently.

It’s just two games, but the 4th has been terrible. Maybe it will take time for them to gel, but it’s a weird line.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think Reaves has been as advertised physically and brings a lot of energy, and hasn't even been a totally awful player. The problem with the line is that Kampf has been brutal and doesn't seem to mesh with Reaves/Gregor at all. It's just not going to work out to have a 4th line that constantly gets hemmed in and outscored every night

I’m willing to bet they figure it out

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not worried, they have 80 more games to figure out.

The team has a history of coming up short in the biggest playoff games. I'm used to it by now and I think that's why Reaves was brought in - to help bring about a change of attitude, to help the guys feel a bit bigger than they have been in the big games if that makes sense. If he can help do that, than he'll have been an absolutely incredible signing and I'll go on record right now and say that if we do (finally) have playoff success this season, then Reaves will be a big part of why. It won't show up in the "advanced" stats and that's fine, "advanced" stats are waaaaaaaaaaaay overrated when it comes to individual player assessment IMO.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Big Hit ---> Big Fight ---> Big Intensity Boost ---> Big Momentum Change --> Big Win

What's not to like? :wg:
So far all his hits have been clean too, and he's gotta fight after because of hitting a guy clean, will never understand that.

We've lacked a guy who finishes his checks, and this guy finishes his checks HARD. I would've paid big money to see him running Radko Gurdas last playoffs that's for sure

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Reaves gets the boys fired up and going again. Matthews recognized his impact after the game.

Apparently, to professionals, tone-setters matter. I have nothing to complain about with Reaves thus far. A couple scraps, plenty of physicality, solid board work.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Reaves brings something the Leafs need and haven't had. It seems to be contagious,too.

I like the "screw you" (for want of another word that I just don't use) element that he brings to their game. I think it rubs off on everyone, and that's why Matthews passed him the game belt after the Minnesota game.

I wish they could have a 23-man roster, to bring him in and out of the lineup now and again.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
They don’t. It was awarded to Matthews again, so he was told to just keep it from game 1, but he stood up and recognized Reaves for setting the tone and getting the team going
It wasn’t awarded to Matthews again. He had it from winning it last game. As the previous winner he had the right to hand it out next.
Some guys told him to keep it but he chose to give it to Reeves

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It wasn’t awarded to Matthews again. He had it from winning it last game. As the previous winner he had the right to hand it out next.
Some guys told him to keep it but he chose to give it to Reeves
Technicality, really.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think Reaves and other enforcers offer a good delineation for the stats-only crowd that never played the game on any level vs guys who played hockey (even if its glorified beer leagues) and understand the psychological and practical value of having the toughest guy in the game on your side.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Reaves and other enforcers offer a good delineation for the stats-only crowd that never played the game on any level vs guys who played hockey (even if its glorified beer leagues) and understand the psychological and practical value of having the toughest guy in the game on your side.

I don't know if statistical models generally keep track of momentum shifts in a game but there might be some more appreciation for Reaves type players if you graph out scoring chances/shots after certain big hit events, fights or 4th line energy shifts, see where the wave crests and troughs across 60 minutes of play.

Emotionally, I think you're right. Just goes back to a school yard dynamic, when kids are playing rough and who do you want on your side? Every team has played Toronto taking a bullying role, but now we have our own bully who creates trouble for the other team. I'd rather it be Reaves who beats up on a Gaudreau or a Guhle and it's not Knies getting mugged out there.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

If the stars are excited to have him on the team and are glowing about what he brings to the team, former teammates glow about what he brings, for most rationale people that should be enough but we got a generation of Narcissists that can't accept their biased opinions don't mean shit and continue to insist players like Reaves bring nothing to the table.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If the stars are excited to have him on the team and are glowing about what he brings to the team, former teammates glow about what he brings, for most rationale people that should be enough but we got a generation of Narcissists that can't accept their biased opinions don't mean shit and continue to insist players like Reaves bring nothing to the table.
Well said

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't know if statistical models generally keep track of momentum shifts in a game but there might be some more appreciation for Reaves type players if you graph out scoring chances/shots after certain big hit events, fights or 4th line energy shifts, see where the wave crests and troughs across 60 minutes of play.

Emotionally, I think you're right. Just goes back to a school yard dynamic, when kids are playing rough and who do you want on your side? Every team has played Toronto taking a bullying role, but now we have our own bully who creates trouble for the other team. I'd rather it be Reaves who beats up on a Gaudreau or a Guhle and it's not Knies getting mugged out there.
This, the stat geeks can’t quantify momentum and events that change the tone. It’s why players and coaches get it, they understand a fluid game, it’s complexities, this isn’t a static sport like baseball and it never will be. Hockey isn’t just math, it helps, but there’s more to it. I mean of all the fan bases haven’t we learned advanced stats aren’t everything? My lord.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The trouble is they're a bad 4th line right now, not just a bad line.

Still early and we know Kampf struggled out of the gate last year, so hopefully they turn it around with their on ice play
I think kampf is lost on that line. He is more of a checking line center. Not just a crash and bang center.
I think holmberg would play a better role as fourth line center.
I think kampf is redundant
I think the team wants a third line scoring with skill to augment the big boys and kampf doesn’t have that skill

Reactions: myleafs

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
@innefectivemath

Ryan Reaves has played 18 minutes of 5v5 time for Toronto this season, during which the Leafs have been outchanced 1.5 xG to 0.3 and outscored 2-0; and still I have to see posts about how he is helping the team win. The market for tiger-repelling rocks remains strong, evidently.

It’s just two games, but the 4th has been terrible. Maybe it will take time for them to gel, but it’s a weird line.
You're conveniently leaving out the other things. No hits? No fights? No goals? No instigater? No one drew a penalty? No one needed medical attention? Hits are fine. Hard hits in hockey are better.

To quote Devolution (DEVO):

"Are we not men?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad