Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think kampf is lost on that line. He is more of a checking line center. Not just a crash and bang center.
I think holmberg would play a better role as fourth line center.
I think kampf is redundant
I think the team wants a third line scoring with skill to augment the big boys and kampf doesn’t have that skill
Trouble is we need PKers and Kampf does that. He has struggled with "bangers" though
We also scored 5 goals after that :)
7 actually, and 6 the game before. Mind you the opposing team scored next after both his fights. It must be some kind of special delayed momentum his fights provide

Reactions: Hellcat

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You're conveniently leaving out the other things. No hits? No fights? No goals? No instigater? No one drew a penalty? No one needed medical attention? Hits are fine. Hard hits in hockey are better.

To quote Devolution (DEVO):

"Are we not men?"
I didn't leave out goals.

It's all good, and it's entertaining that much is for sure... I mean hits are good, fights are fun... but the reality is, his line has been a liability hockey wise so far. I'm not saying that is just him... but they've sucked, that's just a fact.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This, the stat geeks can’t quantify momentum and events that change the tone. It’s why players and coaches get it, they understand a fluid game, it’s complexities, this isn’t a static sport like baseball and it never will be. Hockey isn’t just math, it helps, but there’s more to it. I mean of all the fan bases haven’t we learned advanced stats aren’t everything? My lord.

The game is played on the ice, with the heart, mind and body.

Spreadsheets can certainly be helpful, but there is a lot that goes into winning you can’t find in an excel file

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Nobody said it was some massive loss. I said it necessitated a trade. I don't know why people are exaggerating simple, straightforward statements.
And while Lafferty isn't some world-burner, he's a better and cheaper and younger player than Reaves.
Thats kind of irrelevant. Does it matter that my impact gun is better and more valuable than my drill? I need both.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Don't get me wrong. I liked the signing for TO but he had chances to deal with it that game. To whinrme to the media and suggest waiting til what? March lol. Looks weak.
And ask Graves if he has ever punched n jumped a player. At keast X let him square up n toss first. I think he just got caught of guard. No biggie.

You should never ever quote Grant McCagg. It's the equivalent of quoting James Tanner or Dekes.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
You should never ever quote Grant McCagg. It's the equivalent of quoting James Tanner or Dekes.

I felt the same before I saw the post. The fact he mentioned, someone else mentioned it........doesn't change what happened.
Thanks for the directive.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm not the biggest fan of this signing. So far it looks like Reaves is making things looser for the Stars. If that continues to be the case It will turn me.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think kampf is lost on that line. He is more of a checking line center. Not just a crash and bang center.
I think holmberg would play a better role as fourth line center.
I think kampf is redundant
I think the team wants a third line scoring with skill to augment the big boys and kampf doesn’t have that skill

I think they should have kept Schenn and let Kampf go. Holmberg could have filled in for Kampf. Currently the Leafs don’t have another Schenn or even close to it

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
To me it's so dorky and nerdy to argue that the team would be better without Reaves. I watch hockey to be entertained win or lose and I like hard nosed hockey.

I am entertained by Reaves.

A soft team doesn't bring me the full experience. No matter what the roster, every team is likely gonna lose (obviously) and when this team does I'm going to be more entertained with Reaves on the roster. For that reason alone would be nice if people would just let myself and the other mouth breathers have this one.

Yeah I want to see the Leafs win the cup, but if they can't build a cup roster with a guy like Reaves on the team at a relatively small cap hit, then I don't know that I want to watch hockey any more. I don't buy that having any other player that they could have had instead will be the difference to their cup dreams, and if it means they lose in the playoffs again, at least they will hopefully do so while at least breaking even on the scrums for once...

Reactions: Kurtz

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
@innefectivemath

Ryan Reaves has played 18 minutes of 5v5 time for Toronto this season, during which the Leafs have been outchanced 1.5 xG to 0.3 and outscored 2-0; and still I have to see posts about how he is helping the team win. The market for tiger-repelling rocks remains strong, evidently.

It’s just two games, but the 4th has been terrible. Maybe it will take time for them to gel, but it’s a weird line.
Half our goals against are not because of our 4th line. It's because of 2 d man turning the puck over and Samsonov letting in 2 softies which I guess you could say 1 was a fluke goal. This tweet has made me laugh quite a bit seeing some of the replies or discussions/arguments from it where journalists actually think they can build a Cup winning team and try and say analytics people being hired by teams is the proof that they could.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Thats kind of irrelevant. Does it matter that my impact gun is better and more valuable than my drill? I need both.

Every tool has its purpose, try taking off a rusted nut with a drill.

@innefectivemath

Ryan Reaves has played 18 minutes of 5v5 time for Toronto this season, during which the Leafs have been outchanced 1.5 xG to 0.3 and outscored 2-0; and still I have to see posts about how he is helping the team win. The market for tiger-repelling rocks remains strong, evidently.

It’s just two games, but the 4th has been terrible. Maybe it will take time for them to gel, but it’s a weird line.

He's been on the ice for two goals against, two, one was when the dman fell and allowed that easy goal.

Half our goals against are not because of our 4th line. It's because of 2 d man turning the puck over and Samsonov letting in 2 softies which I guess you could say 1 was a fluke goal. This tweet has made me laugh quite a bit seeing some of the replies or discussions/arguments from it where journalists actually think they can build a Cup winning team and try and say analytics people being hired by teams is the proof that they could.

Analytics pulled Berrios ... so there's that...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I remember in last year playoffs there was a scrum near the Leaf bench and some opposing player was yelling at Marner (Bennett?) that he was going to take his head off. Do you think that will happen now? He allows our skill guys to play their game.

Yes it will continue but now we got a guy who will yell at Barkov that he is going to take his head off. Hockey is a simple game its about deception, about making the stars on the other team feel super uncomfortable and making your stars feel comfortable.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
To me it's so dorky and nerdy to argue that the team would be better without Reaves. I watch hockey to be entertained win or lose and I like hard nosed hockey.

I am entertained by Reaves.

A soft team doesn't bring me the full experience. No matter what the roster, every team is likely gonna lose (obviously) and when this team does I'm going to be more entertained with Reaves on the roster. For that reason alone would be nice if people would just let myself and the other mouth breathers have this one.

Yeah I want to see the Leafs win the cup, but if they can't build a cup roster with a guy like Reaves on the team at a relatively small cap hit, then I don't know that I want to watch hockey any more. I don't buy that having any other player that they could have had instead will be the difference to their cup dreams, and if it means they lose in the playoffs again, at least they will hopefully do so while at least breaking even on the scrums for once...

There is something an elite 4th line goon does to the chemistry of a team, there is value in pissing off the other team. I like that other teams lose their shit when Bert does his cave man thing, poking for goalie meat in a cave or the other teams captain feels its necessary to fight after our guy toons their soft skilled player with a clean hit. If Reaves wants to win the hearts and minds of Leaf fans, smoke Scheifele with one of those clean hits.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The focus should be on the 3rd line (IMHO) people, and not what Reaves does on the 4th. The individual parts (Domi, Knies, Minton, Jarnkrok) we're all routing for, but holy god! It is absolutely hot garbage. They do almost nothing and every time we watch them we are praying they don't turn the puck over.

I do ask the question because it needs to be asked:

Are we not men?

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
99.8% of the contract can be buried today
That's not true. 85% of it can be buried, not 99.8%. And again, he's not buried. He's costing 1.35m against the cap.
No, no he didn't Clifford and Simmonds were not the same thing.
Reaves is a whole different beast.
Reaves is the same thing. Which is why you can't actually name anything that's different. He's just the shiny new toy.
Noah Gregor and to a lesser extent Fraser Minten caused that trade.
Gregor and Minten cost 775k and 845k respectively. They didn't force anything.
Your statement is contradictory. You claim it's irrelevant, but then you claim we need both. Well, we don't have both, because we lost the better tool for the worse, more expensive, more rusted tool that we didn't really need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad