Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Hopefully it’s Saturday. I don’t know what you do if they lose again.
I felt better when we were shit for 10 years once the cap came in. Never did I think I would feel this low consistently through an era I was the most hyped for
if they can't win Saturday... Whats the point in following them anymore? What else can we even do? What changes could be made that would make a difference

I know calls are missed for both sides but felt like the refs are against us majority of the time that or we are just that freaking unlucky.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Between luck, the hockey gods, refs, the universe and whatever else you want to throw in there, it just feels like we’re never going to be allowed any success or happiness.
Success maybe, but if you are going to count on a piece of entertainment to make you happy in life you are going to have a lot of disappointment.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Kamp was doing OK and Mikey had his moments but I would take Engvall off that line as he has been terrible. Would like to see Blackwell moved up.

Mikhayev has the most dissapointing to me. For someone with so much speed and size, he doesn''t use them much
Both of his playoff goals were empty netter in the same game

Reactions: CelticDruid

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The politics of a ref calling a penalty on the defending champs in an elimination game would be difficult. Toronto's a doormat that can accept a 'Kerry Fraser' here and there and everyone just laughs it off.
Honestly it's expected to get a powerplay. The fact they didn't get a PP after a 5on3 GA with the Perry poke is pretty amazing. You're generally looking for a chance to not be the factor in a game there.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If the refs do their job with integrity game 7 shouldn't be close. I mean game 6 shouldn't have either, but the league had different plans.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As a Canucks fan, I was so pissed at the refs that I was yelling like a mad man, so I don't know about you folks. These refs are crooks man. On to game 7.
They did the same shit to your team in that farce of a cup finals in 2011.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Nothing like having 19 000 fans - all with a defeatist attitude - to try and spur you on to a win.
I don't think the rink will be like that at all. I think there will be all kinds of electric energy to start the game. If Tampa scores first, I think the crowd stays vocal... if Tampa gets up 2-0, I think then the crown turns.

Playing hard, and playing well isn't enough. We're way past that. Win the f***ing series of f*** off. Because no core that is worth anything goes 0-9 in series clinching games. And trading away Nylander isn't going to fix that imo because the guys who need to carry us to the win are still here.

So, it's on them to change the narrative. They have yet to show they can do it... we all want the defeatist attitudes to die, but there has to be a reason for it to die. Another loss here and it just grows bigger.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I’m way more optimistic going into this game 7 as opposed to last year. Leafs have played high level hockey in games 5 and 6 and battled through some adversity. It’s 50/50, but the difference is the stars are playing well this time around and that bodes well
Agreed.

It's going to come down to Campbell.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
There is no more time for moral victories. It may be slightly different than years past, they're all slightly different. But, the end result is the exact same, without fail.
Just pointing out that they’re playing good hockey going into game 7 and I’m optimistic that it translates to game 7…not taking moral victories, but if you’re goal is to go around and shut down every positive posts than god speed

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly it's expected to get a powerplay. The fact they didn't get a PP after a 5on3 GA with the Perry poke is pretty amazing. You're generally looking for a chance to not be the factor in a game there.

I think it may have been too late in the game for that, but the fact that we're talking about expected penalties is a reminder the league is so WWF.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
It's funny. The last time leafs won a series was under Pat Quinn
The hallmark of those teams was they would find a way to win
The hallmark of this team is that will find a way to lose a game
Well can't say that they haven't found some ways to win like in game 6 with the comeback. Just that when things are within their grasp they can't take it and get it done. Just once I hope and wish they could do it on Saturday and change the narrative that they are playoff chokers. Forget winning the cup, right now I'd be happy if they just win and get out of the 1st round one time. That's all I want right now.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@Mess Maybe we should have 2 game 7 GDT. One for fans and the other for people who are only here to shit on the team. If they cross pollinate, it's worth a ban. I'm tired of these fake user accounts masquerading as Leafs fans to avoid bans.

Reactions: Mike4Leafs4ever

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Doesn't seem to have it when it matters most as you mentioned. We keep starting games 2 goals down because he can't make a save in the 1st period too. Seemed like every rush in the 1st was going in.

Yeah, can't even argue with it - I don't think any of those goals can be labelled his fault, but jesus would it be nice to get a save there once in a while.

That OT goal was Freddie levels of incompetence.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah, they've been telling us Lions fans that for years; "You've just got to win", and then when they actually HAVE good teams, the refs take 2 or 3 wins away every f***ing season and generally hose them in the playoffs, and it seems like that's the Leafs' current cycle. Why do the Leafs have to beat the refs as well as their opponents every damned year?
They didn't last year or vs CLB. Same with WSH.

This series and Boston were very questionable

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
Remember that this is a business and the TV deals benefit a business that struggled with the pandemic. What do you do? Make sure you can get American teams as far as they can go.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Wonder if Campbell will give up a soft icebreaker in game 7, this goalie and team are so hard to predict.

Campbell's been dynamite, have some faith. If anyone is letting in a softie again it's Vasilevsky.

That OT winner was tough. Lots of traffic and scrambly. Need more of that and less fancy bullshit.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
The team is 0-7 in the last 5 years in elimination games where they can win a series.

Cursed I tell you.
It's not curse, it's culture. Building a culture that caries you in those moments is both painstaking and fleeting. Toronto's culture fails when it absolutely matters.

If you want me to define what culture is in this case, I'll do so via examples. It's taking 2 stupid (one really questionable), careless, high sticking penalties back-to-back, while protecting a third period lead. It's a player not being able to finish a breakaway in overtime, after costing his team all game long with bad penalty and a worse drop pass, that directly led to a goal. It's out playing and out chancing your opponent, significantly, in overtime, but not possessing the class to finish. It's about your MVP caliber centerman, tripping over the red line, with the game on the line. It's about your goalie giving up a "meh" goal, again, to lose the game, while his counterpart, calmly, stands on his head.

Culture means everything. The Leafs have built a culture of losing. They have to find a way, whatever it takes, to build the foundation of a franchise whose culture carries them in key moments, rather than letting them down. I see no other way.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Things I'd Enjoy More Than Watching Game 7 Saturday:

1) Chopping my fingers off knuckle by knuckle with a dull butter knife.
2) A root canal by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Family... without anesthetic.
3) Watching old episodes of Sewing With Nancy.
4) Reading more Zeke posts about how Dubas is God. (How barbaric!)

Ahhhh... who am I trying to kid? I'll be here.

• Haha
Reactions: LastOne2100
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad