Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Do people actually think Nylander would have single handedly won this game lol.. Yeah he sure has shown he has the heart to out compete the other team in a close-checking game like this. A player like Nylander would just contribute to the lackluster/lazy performance this team had tonight
its the effect of adding another marner PLUS pushing already good players down one line. It really is a huge effect.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Do people actually think Nylander would have single handedly won this game lol.. Yeah he sure has shown he has the heart to out compete the other team in a close-checking game like this. A player like Nylander would just contribute to the lackluster/lazy performance this team had tonight
Exactly, there is no way he goes into the hard areas to fight for the puck! No way!

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Nylander makes the Matthews line dynamic and dangerous. They are a dynamic duo.
Without him, that line has been average at best. So yes, he would make a huge difference.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Too many small forwards, cant sustain any pressure. Marleau playing way too high in the lineup. Babcock giving brown more icetime then matthews and JT. Terrible.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Realistically, how many years do you guys think Babcock has before he gets fired?

I would guess that he would have two more tries. This year and the next.

If he cannot produce results in the next two years, he’s gone. We simply cannot afford to let him ruin our best years to win with his coaching.

Leafs need someone who can play the team to their strength and I’m really not sure Babcock is the guy. He’s a great coach for a slower NHL where there was a lot of interference. Now, it’s all about playing fast with the puck. All I ever see the Leafs do extremely fast is flip the puck in the air as soon as they have it.

Reactions: Al14 and weems

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Looks like people are finally seeing what's up with Babcock.

To those of you who actually see what's going on : don't let the cheerleaders goad you into trying to justify his moronic coaching decisions. Just call it for what it is.

If your 3rd best center gets the most ice-time, your coach is a moron. No ifs ands or buts. If Connor Brown plays over 17 minutes, your coach is a moron. If your superstar generational talent can't even get 18 minutes a game, your coach is a moron.

You have Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on offense. You literally can't **** this up. Babcock somehow finds a way to **** it up. It's truly insane.
i think more and more of those pompoms are getting thrown in the trash...

Reactions: frizzer1 and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Remember the stretch last year where Babcock wanted them to tighten up and it resulted in the most boring hockey known to man? It's here again, hopefully it pays off later. But man oh man, I watch hockey to be entertained, you know?
Yeah the cheerleaders tried telling me it was to hone up that pLaYoFf HoCkeY StYlE.

Worked real f***ing good, didn't it?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

To those of you who actually see what's going on : don't let the cheerleaders goad you into trying to justify his moronic coaching decisions. Just call it for what it is.

If your 3rd best center gets the most ice-time, your coach is a moron. No ifs ands or buts. If Connor Brown plays over 17 minutes, your coach is a moron. If your superstar generational talent can't even get 18 minutes a game, your coach is a moron.

You have Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on offense. You literally can't **** this up. Babcock somehow finds a way to **** it up. It's truly insane.
It's not a big deal.

In baseball, you have to give your closer or your reliever some rest. If the manager brings him out every night, he burns out his best closer by August.

Remember Dion Phaneuf? He was better when playing less minutes, and he was the best defenseman on those Leafs teams.

It's not even 10 games yet into the season. Are the Leafs still 1st overall? Haven't checked.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wouldn't mind Ennis getting back in the lineup on the third or fourth line and Marleau getting scratched for a game to change Matthews' linemates. Ennis can at least carry the puck a bit and make a pass. Just don't make him match up against top dmen by putting him with Matthews.

He's an overpaid 4th liner playing up the lineup because the coach likes him and he got to score a bunch riding shotgun in a contract year with better centres. He's not bringing back any dman that's better than our current dmen (excluding maybe Hainsey).

Just a stay at home solid Dman is good enough for now. Or a mid round pick

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

So its Babcocks fault Matthews didnt score in the last 2 games?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m beginning to think a Babcock coached team can’t win in this league.

This team is no different than last year, it lacks toughness, it lacks discipline and intelligence.

If I’m Dubas I’m having conversations with Mike.

Reactions: Al14 and ToMaLe

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Babcock and Dubas have to get on the same page. There is a definite disconnect there. Babcock wants a heavy game and Dubas has got him a team of non contact players with skill.

I think back to that 24/7 scene almost a decade ago showing Bylsma sitting in Shero's office and they go over player performances and who to potentially call up or send down. With Babcock and Dubas, I imagine it to go something like this:

Dubas: We have a call-up spot, I think we need to maybe give Marleau a rest to get him going and see what Grundstrom can do.
Babcock: Nope you know duh tie goes to duh vet and Patty will start scoring, he's working hard and he brings gud experience. We gutta let Grundstrom bake a bit in da oven.
Dubas: Okay well we need a player on Kadri's line who can maybe make better passes, what do you think of moving Brown down and drawing Ennis back in?
Babcock: Nope Brownsy he does a lot of gud things, he hustles hard, he'll get going, he's bee one of our best players dis season, he's a gud pro he brings gud experience.
Dubas: ...

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Nylander makes the Matthews line dynamic and dangerous. They are a dynamic duo.
Without him, that line has been average at best. So yes, he would make a huge difference.
Mathews is leading the league in points/goals without him... Its been two games that line hasnt done much, everyone remembers the good but when mathews went on that 13-game goalless drought he was playing with Nylander. This has been 2 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad