Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Rielly really took a jump this year in play. And Kapanen still looks good, even with Matthews playing like crap. And Tavares definitely adds firepower. I like this team better than last year.
This team needs to figure itself out. It's also missing a first line player who is sitting at home as well

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
You beat Toronto by outcoaching Babcock

You play your big line for 22 minutes and you know Babcock lives to match lines.
That means kadri leivo and brown get more ice time and you limit
The usage of Matthews kappanen marner and Tavares

Brilliant strategy if your the opposing team

We are more worried about shutting the other teams big line down when they should be more worried about shutting our two big lines down

Pitiful coaching
The other two lines were horrible today.... They were fully refreshed with lesser competition and still couldnt score. 4th line was our best line. What do you want the coach to do

Reactions: Gallagbi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Also, the “Nylander who?” comments have died down recently...

I wonder why?

Do people realize why we need him? It would be nice to have him on the team but I’m sure that will just be another star forward who will play less than the plugs on the team.

6-3 is a great record to start but the way we got there is disappointing.

member 262271

Remember the stretch last year where Babcock wanted them to tighten up and it resulted in the most boring hockey known to man? It's here again, hopefully it pays off later. But man oh man, I watch hockey to be entertained, you know?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Teams have figured out how to shut the big guns down. Tavares and Matthews have been mugged the last two games and rendered a non-factor. They are clogging up the middle and not letting anyone get in their normal sniping positions, and kudos to them. Leafs need to adjust and they have not other than sending out the the checking lines and that didn't do much either. Couple this with a lackluster effort for the most part, and this is the result. Thinking Willie will give the lads a spark, hope he signs soon. Not going to discuss defense, other than jsut trying to get too cute and they aren't that good. Also, we need some bigger bodies to park in front of the net at both ends.

Exactly. It's not some sorcery or hex, it's we were playing predictable pond hockey and some teams finally said.. no.

Babcock needs to put his thinking cap on.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Kadri still on his honeymoon and Babcock on his early retirement. He has no clue how to adjust ingame. I know the big boys aren’t playing well but one way to get them out of their funk is to play them more, not less.

It would be nice if we could score first so teams can’t clog the ice with good defence we simply can’t play. 8 shots after two periods? Come on Babsy, get them ready to start games.

We have great two lines, we have to fill the rest of the team with players that hustle all the time. But Babcock will not stack two lines.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Remember the stretch last year where Babcock wanted them to tighten up and it resulted in the most boring hockey known to man? It's here again, hopefully it pays off later. But man oh man, I watch hockey to be entertained, you know?

It doesn't pay off later because it's not winning hockey. It's simply to pump his tires in front of the cameras.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Makes sense. I’ve always liked our play on the road a lot better.

I bet we will do great on Wednesday and then wonder why we look like **** on Saturday in the home and home against the Jets.

We don’t look convincing at all, even in our wins, at home.

Huh, so I'm not crazy! Against Pittsburg he coached like it was a road game. Tonite,he wanted to get Kadri involved so he plays him against Schenn. Bad strategy against a team that they should have buried in rubber. No way Schenn would of shagged Matthews ass!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Do people actually think Nylander would have single handedly won this game lol.. Yeah he sure has shown he has the heart to out compete the other team in a close-checking game like this. A player like Nylander would just contribute to the lackluster/lazy performance this team had tonight

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The other two lines were horrible today.... They were fully refreshed with lesser competition and still couldnt score. 4th line was our best line. What do you want the coach to do
4th line was our best line
Maybe because they played against the other teams 4th line.
You would think our brilliant coach who is a match up guru
Could get our number one or two line out against their 4th
After all we have last change

Babcock is too stubborn. He wants us to dump and chase and play a heavy game and that’s impossible with the lineup we have.

Babcock and Dubas have to get on the same page. There is a definite disconnect there. Babcock wants a heavy game and Dubas has got him a team of non contact players with skill.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Looks like people are finally seeing what's up with Babcock.

To those of you who actually see what's going on : don't let the cheerleaders goad you into trying to justify his moronic coaching decisions. Just call it for what it is.

If your 3rd best center gets the most ice-time, your coach is a moron. No ifs ands or buts. If Connor Brown plays over 17 minutes, your coach is a moron. If your superstar generational talent can't even get 18 minutes a game, your coach is a moron.

You have Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on offense. You literally can't f*** this up. Babcock somehow finds a way to f*** it up. It's truly insane.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Nobody steps up. I sometimes wonder if that is on the coach. Babcock has them so in line that the players just try to follow the game plan and nobody leads. Babcock is definitely is about believing in the system and not making changes. He probably would think if he put Matthews/Tavares/Marner out and they scored a bunch of goals and won the game: They won the battle but lost the war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad