Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
ice has always been crap at the ACC. maybe because it was intended as a basketball arena for the Raptors and then the hockey part was shoehorned in last minute. but I'm just speculating.
While true, I think they've had more than enough years to figure out the ice.

Rewind back to 1997...
"During this period the Raptors were twice fined a million dollars (which were donated to their charitable foundation) by the NBA for missing deadlines to begin construction of their new arena, and disputes over the future of the arena resulted in John Bitove being forced to sell his stake to Allan Slaight as a result of a shotgun clause. Slaight (who wanted a joint arena deal with MLGL), then had majority ownership and immediately went into talks with MLGL which eventually purchased both the Raptors and their partially completed arena. This subsequently resulted in major modifications to the original design, which was basketball-specific, to make the arena become more suitable for hockey. Originally planned to cost $217 million, MLGL increased the budget to $265 million after taking control.

After the purchase of the Raptors and the Air Canada Centre the new owners entered into a design-build contract with PCL Construction with the commitment to finish the stadium in 24-months by March 1st 1999. The integration of the Maple Leafs into the new structure would result in a 25% increase in construction costs (over $25 million CAD in 1999)."

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
f***ing McDavid and empty net points. That guy can smell an empty net 500 miles away.
I’m just jealous though, some of the greatest players ever were empty net stat padders: Ovechkin, Lemieux, McDavid, Hyman, etc.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
The problem is fans here are bipolar. Did you expect us to go 10-0 against the oilers?

I don't understand people here. We lost on a PP goal that shouldn't have been called. Of their 3 goals, 2 goals were off deflections and the last was an empty net. Spezza missed an open net to it, Matthews on the PP flob easy one-timers that he should of scored on. We had most of the 5v5 possession, we contained McDavid for the vast majority of the game, our PK despite allowing a PP goal was decent and even generated shorthanded chances.

Can we just acknowledge games were we played well but were unlucky?

yes but tonights game was not one of those, leafs did not play well, it happens.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
No chance.

I can’t see Jets, Canucks, or Sens finishing ahead of the Leafs.

Yes, that's the good news. Like last year our division is such a train wreck even at the level the Leafs are playing they should still make it. And get promptly bounced.

Reactions: ToneDog

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Yes, that's the good news. Like last year our division is such a train wreck even at the level the Leafs are playing they should still make it. And get promptly bounced.

Van/Wpg both carry quality players that can smoke the Leafs if they aren't ready. There is no game that the Leafs should be taking for granted

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What are hell are you talking about

50% of our fanbase are out to lunch and flip flop depending if they lose or win.

Such a joke. I'd hate to play here
Remember there isn't an age limit for being on the boards... or that I know of (doesn't seem to be). Don't waste your time responding imo.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I’m not making excuses. This is such a weird and unique season with pretty much no training camp and zero preseason games.

I’m going to give teams at least 10 games or so before i see what they’re truly made of.

Don’t read too much into these first few games.
10 GAMES?

That's a lot man. Only 56 games this season. That's a possible 20 points to not read 'too much into'

I get the lack of exhibition games but man, boys gotta figure out a way because every game is one of those '4-pt' games.

Not getting a single point tonight really sucks.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
While true, I think they've had more than enough years to figure out the ice.

Rewind back to 1997...
"During this period the Raptors were twice fined a million dollars (which were donated to their charitable foundation) by the NBA for missing deadlines to begin construction of their new arena, and disputes over the future of the arena resulted in John Bitove being forced to sell his stake to Allan Slaight as a result of a shotgun clause. Slaight (who wanted a joint arena deal with MLGL), then had majority ownership and immediately went into talks with MLGL which eventually purchased both the Raptors and their partially completed arena. This subsequently resulted in major modifications to the original design, which was basketball-specific, to make the arena become more suitable for hockey. Originally planned to cost $217 million, MLGL increased the budget to $265 million after taking control.

After the purchase of the Raptors and the Air Canada Centre the new owners entered into a design-build contract with PCL Construction with the commitment to finish the stadium in 24-months by March 1st 1999. The integration of the Maple Leafs into the new structure would result in a 25% increase in construction costs (over $25 million CAD in 1999)."

it's not like you can just fix the ice, it has to do with temperature and factors that cannot simply just be fixed per say (such as the opening of shipment doors to the Scotiabank center, the fact that it is built as a multi-use center)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Neither team played well, but someone had to lose.
It also wasn't due to a lack of effort at least. They were trying the whole time but just wasn't their night and Oilers did a good job taking away space in prime scoring areas. Plus a blind ref.

Rest up and move on.

Reactions: francis246

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The extreme opinions that are consistently in these GDT's are hilarious.

We are playing very well. Edmonton did a good job stifling our offense today, but they were not very good themselves. Pretty much everything had to go their way, and against us, for them to barely squeak out a win.

Edmonton fans have a lot more to worry about than us right now. We look like the best team in this division who had a bad day (not even a bad game). They look like they are going to fighting every step of the way to even make the playoffs.

Reactions: ktownhockey

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
10 GAMES?

That's a lot man. Only 56 games this season. That's a possible 20 points to not read 'too much into'

I get the lack of exhibition games but man, boys gotta figure out a way because every game is one of those '4-pt' games.

They’ll get their points during those first 10 games. Just saying that they’ll need to use those games to truly find their game.

This why we see games like we did tonight from both teams.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We can complain about the officials all day long but our problems extend well beyond that

Our effort is inconsistent and we seem to have an aversion to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone

It isn't rocket science, if things aren't working get into high danger areas and make something happen rather than sit on your hands waiting for somebody else to do it for you

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They’ll get their points during those first 10 games. Just saying that they’ll need to use those games to truly find their game.

This why we see games like we did tonight from both teams.
I'd rather let McDavid get a few points, and we play our game and win 6-2 instead of playing right into their crap trap and neutering the offense.

I wasn't impressed with Keefe's coaching tonight.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We can complain about the officials all day long but our problems extend well beyond that

Our effort is inconsistent and we seem to have an aversion to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone

It isn't rocket science, if things aren't working get into high danger areas and make something happen rather than sit on your hands waiting for somebody else to do it for you

Today, I think they actually tried to force it to the middle a little bit too much. They probably should have looked to shoot more, especially on a goalie like Koskinen. One may go in, or they would have to at least obstruct us to prevent us from getting our chances in tight. Instead we were looking to get the puck inside to shoot, and Edmonton effectively collapsed the same way we collapsed on them (and pretty much stifled McDavid and Draisaitl as a result) so it did not work as well.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The extreme opinions that are consistently in these GDT's are hilarious.

We are playing very well. Edmonton did a good job stifling our offense today, but they were not very good themselves. Pretty much everything had to go their way, and against us, for them to barely squeak out a win.

Edmonton fans have a lot more to worry about than us right now. We look like the best team in this division who had a bad day (not even a bad game). They look like they are going to fighting every step of the way to even make the playoffs.
Extreme opinions other than one's own are always hilarious.

The Oilers have more things to worry about to be sure. But the Leafs still have plenty to worry about. They've played the most games, but not going to be that hard for Calgary and/or Montreal to blow past them.

Every Leaf loss just being bad luck is itself a pretty hilarious thing. The Leafs are so good they can't actually lose on merit. The only explanation is always just gosh darn bad luck.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad