Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley Sumdae

Feb 1, 2010
Missed the game. Appears that I didn't miss much.
21 pages the last game (took two days), a win. Already 8 pages after 20 minutes today. I swear, half of the Leaf fans on HockeyFuture live to see the team lose.

Come on boys, time to roll up the sleeves and get ready for Friday. GLG!

Well you dint miss much. It was like watching the 95 Devils playing the 95 Devils...yawn

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I thought we were "Sires"

No twerking thanks.
We all suckas when we lose sire. Always. Especially our p***y cat team tonight. IT was real fun to watch. That was some office type "ice hockey". Nothing emotional. No specialities. Real twerking. no hitting, no no no no sire, it would be dangerous, just like kovid. :biglaugh: Play safe in the future too :clap: It's fun and nice. We will win the next game though, our otha fools will strike hard.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It's been this way for years and is getting worse every year. Our management refuses to acknowledge it or spend any money to improve it, despite it being a serious and obvious issue that multiple players have complained about.

That sucks. I hadn't noticed it until this year, hope they figure it out soon.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Probably should have shot more.
They had two fluke goals and an empty netter.
More often than not this would have been a Freddy shutout and everybody would be impressed with the playoff style shutdown and possession game we played.
This isn’t an elite team (at all) but I’m liking the season effort so far.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think folks are reading a bit too much into tonight. Leafs were the better team for the most of the game.

They just had a hard time finding the net
We had the puck a bit more, but neither team was crisp or dangerous (at all)

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hey Toronto fans, got an honest/ well-intentioned question for you guys.

What's going on with the ice quality in Toronto this year? Why does it seem so much worse than previous years? I wasn't the only one on the Habs boards who noticed it last week, today's game against the Oilers was much less smooth than the Oilers home ice was a couple days ago.

I hope they figure it out for you guys quick. I know it disadvantages y'all because your team thrives on those quick passes and plays but I'd rather have the funner hockey that goes along with smooth ice than watch slog fests.

ice has always been crap at the ACC. maybe because it was intended as a basketball arena for the Raptors and then the hockey part was shoehorned in last minute. but I'm just speculating.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
The problem is that the team didn’t just lose a loss. This team rarely doesn’t outplay themselves, we just watched the worst defence and goaltending in the division almost neuter us offensively, it felt like the CBJ series, but without all those fake perimeter shots that brought the shot totals up

The problem is fans here are bipolar. Did you expect us to go 10-0 against the oilers?

I don't understand people here. We lost on a PP goal that shouldn't have been called. Of their 3 goals, 2 goals were off deflections and the last was an empty net. Spezza missed an open net to it, Matthews on the PP flob easy one-timers that he should of scored on. We had most of the 5v5 possession, we contained McDavid for the vast majority of the game, our PK despite allowing a PP goal was decent and even generated shorthanded chances.

Can we just acknowledge games were we played well but were unlucky?

Mar 26, 2010
Probably should have shot more.
They had two fluke goals and an empty netter.
More often than not this would have been a Freddy shutout and everybody would be impressed with the playoff style shutdown and possession game we played.
This isn’t an elite team (at all) but I’m liking the season effort so far.
Agree with this. I think they are going to miss the playoffs.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
That's hyperbolic. I think the vast majority of us think the Leafs are an above average team, but clearly not the best (right now) in the division. No one's panicking, except maybe the people calling for Maner/Matthews heads.

Yup... that and people just finished watching a game and are really happy or pissed depending on the outcome.

If anything it's a matter of taking a few minutes and then saying something.

Its why you see numerous posts the next day of people saying well what I said was over top etc... and ive thought about it... its not the end of the world. Me included lol.

Its just because we all give a shit one way or another.

Reactions: Critical91

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The problem is fans here are bipolar. Did you expect us to go 10-0 against the oilers?

I don't understand people here. We lost on a PP goal that shouldn't have been called. Of their 3 goals, 2 goals were off deflections and the last was an empty net. Spezza missed an open net to it, Matthews on the PP flob easy one-timers that he should of scored on. We had most of the 5v5 possession, we contained McDavid for the vast majority of the game, our PK despite allowing a PP goal was decent and even generated shorthanded chances.

It's one thing for the Leafs to lose when another team plays better than they did. For example their second game against Ottawa when they lost 5-3.

However for the game winning goal to be decided on a penalty which should never have been called is something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hey Toronto fans, got an honest/ well-intentioned question for you guys.

What's going on with the ice quality in Toronto this year? Why does it seem so much worse than previous years? I wasn't the only one on the Habs boards who noticed it last week, today's game against the Oilers was much less smooth than the Oilers home ice was a couple days ago.

I hope they figure it out for you guys quick. I know it disadvantages y'all because your team thrives on those quick passes and plays but I'd rather have the funner hockey that goes along with smooth ice than watch slog fests.

The ice in toronto thought covid was a joke never wore mask; recovered but has long term health impact

Reactions: Just Linda

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

I don't think it's bipolar. I don't think it's been bipolar for years now. The fan base is generally split in half. People are changing their views game to game. Imo.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
ice has always been crap at the ACC. maybe because it was intended as a basketball arena for the Raptors and then the hockey part was shoehorned in last minute. but I'm just speculating.

The ice was fine for many years - even with the Raptors playing on it. The building is aging and the ice is getting worse as a result every year.

I expect they can improve the situation with some retrofits. The pandemic provided a perfect opportunity to do some serious work, but clearly there is no interest on improving it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
I hope this lackluster game is because the boys have played 5 games in 8 days to start the season. It was a bad effort by both teams but it is only one game and the hot takes on here are crazy....A couple days ago everyone was planning the parade route.

Positives -
- I watched Bogo close and I like what I was seeing. Very strong in front of the net,made some decent outlet passes.
- Holl had a very solid game, thats a couple in a row now.
- Im digging Brodie, quiet and steady
- Soup was noticeable in a good way
- Matthews continues to hustle and throw a few hits, and even kinda stuck up for Marner.
- Cant pin this one on Fred
Negatives-
-Marner couldnt handle a pass if his life depended on it. Truth is most of the team were behind on their passes or lazy or you name it, not good.
-Rielly frustrates me with his poor decision making , Im starting to think he isnt as good as I thought he was.
-Nylander had flashes of goodness but where is that guy from the first game?
-Spezza was off all game with the missed net as icing on the cake.
-The ice....wtf is going on with the ice? It was always because of the raptors or concerts but what are the excuses now?

If after 20 games we sit at .500 and have a bunch of uninspired games like tonight and quite frankly like a lot of games last year, well, then at least we know for sure and changes will be made.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agreed, outside of those 3-4 rush chances and the 3on1 open net he set up it was a quiet night.

Man, I wish our stars' had that type of a quiet night.
He had no real scoring chances. The only thing I noticed was the pass to Kassian late.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Saying we lost because of that awful call is far too generous to our team, in my opinion. We scored one goal on a team that's giving up something like 4 a night.

People don't expect us to go 10-0 against the Oilers. I think we would have liked to believe that we wouldn't have the same type of losses that plagued us last year, and tonight was the first one of those - uneven effort, not generating chances, too many penalties, etc.

We will have to see if it becomes a trend like it did last season, or if they can rattle off a few good games here.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
The 3rd and 4th lines aren't doing much, Keefe has to move Hyman and Mikheyev up to the top 2 lines, and drop Vesey and Thornton down. That's the only chance for the Leafs to contend. It is what it is no depth on the bottom 2 lines to contribute.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The 3rd and 4th lines aren't doing much, Keefe has to move Hyman and Mikheyev up to the top 2 lines, and drop Vesey and Thornton down. That's the only chance for the Leafs to contend. It is what it is no depth on the bottom 2 lines to contribute.
He did in the third, results were similar. Sounds like Thornton will miss time, so there will be longer changes.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

I’m not saying we should win every game, but just watching that game we didn’t create chances, we didn’t get outplayed by the oilers, we got internally beat by ourselves with our offensive output. We needed more than just Matthews to get on the scoresheet, we rely heavily on offence, but we only managed 1 goal and got shutdown by Edmonton. The big 4 didn’t bring the effort and no one else really did either. We should be able to expect at the very minimum for the players to bring effort and we only managed 24 shots on net. We need to regroup and try again against them this Friday

Reactions: Korg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad