Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Despite losing, I didn't think the Leafs played too badly.

That's just what happens sometimes when you kick the puck into your own net early on in a close game. You play catchup and lose.

That's why they call it a game.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Embarrassing to lose 2 straight to the Oil.... a very odd thought. Not what comes to mind for me.
Questioning who would be embarrassed?
The coaches, players, their wives, fans. Who are you referencing?
Anyone who watched the game would have to admit Leafs were at least equal to Edmonton tonight. A 50-50 game.

If they lose Friday oh well, Leon and Connor must have done their thing.

Please have some standards for this team.

The Leafs are paying through the nose for supposed elite offensive talent, allegedly improved the defence and overall grittiness of this team, while Edmonton has little forward depth after McDavid and Drai, and boasts the worst defence and goaltending of the division. To come away with two losses in a row to that team as they are currently constructed very much would embarrassing, and pretending otherwise is just preemptive cope.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
We were pretty lethargic. No drive to our game. Couldn't hit passes tape to tape, fumbling pucks and falling all over. We were bad.

So were the Oilers. Granted, Kassian's shot off the crossbar was probably the best scoring chance of the game considering the first two Oiler goals were lucky bounces and Matthews' was a low-percentage misplay by Koskinen. It was just a stinky, boring mess all around.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I am numb to all this. Leafs are our number one Toronto team and seem destined to be last among our teams.

Raps (obviously)
Jay's (young great deep team and just signed Springer, plus went to the ALCS not too long ago)
MLS (won a lot for a while)

Want my Leafs to dominate someday
:(

Reactions: FlareKnight

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Usually I'd say Muzzin blew it tonight because his penalty did lead to the game winner and you can't to take that penalty after tying it but how did Spezza miss? That net could not have been more unless Koskenin say "f*** it I'm going to the dressing room." and left the game

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It’s a tough loss. They spent way too much of their focus trying to contain Conner and draisatl. Which they did do very well in my mind. Offence was atrocious. I don’t think they handled a single pass all game. Brutal to watch. But really, we’re the oilers deserving of the 2 pts either? Not a chance. It was 2 teams playing horrible. They were fortunate to get some lucky bounces and lucky calls. That was the difference. On to the next one

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Usually I'd say Muzzin blew it tonight because his penalty did lead to the game winner and you can't to take that penalty after tying it but how did Spezza miss? That net could not have been more unless Koskenin say "f*** it I'm going to the dressing room." and left the game
I mean it shouldn't have been a penalty for tapping the guys stick. He took a dive and you can't blame that on Muzzin.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Rielly’s my boy and favourite Leaf, but he’s been God awful to start the year.

Hoping for a much more entertaining game on Friday. Two teams with such dynamic talents and poorer defensive tendencies should mean sloppy, exciting, high scoring hockey. Not this trap like lull garbage that was played tonight.

Reactions: geo25

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The team needs to keep looking for that balance. Can't just pick offence or defense and only do that for a game. Great they did a fine job keeping the Oilers top two from scoring like crazy. But if the Leafs themselves are neutralized it's not that successful a result.

Not sure what the answer is beyond just hoping that things change internally.
I am numb to all this. Leafs are our number one Toronto team and seem destined to be last among our teams.

Raps (obviously)
Jay's (young great deep team and just signed Springer, plus went to the ALCS not too long ago)
MLS (won a lot for a while)

Want my Leafs to dominate someday
:(
Yeah, I get that feeling. Would love the Leafs to win ahead of all the other teams in Toronto. But, just feels like they won't be doing that any time soon. Forget the time since the last championship, the time since the last playoff series win is now getting to pretty 'wow' levels.

Reactions: TopChedder

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Worse than refs tonight were fans who claimed tonight thas this loss was Andersen's fault and he was "outgoalied". Either you guys don't watch the games or you need serious help.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
However, Keefe is the biggest loser tonight. Pulling the goalie when we had no possession and no chance at possession is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.

They were hampered entering clean almost the entire final 3 minutes of the game. It was down to like 80 seconds with a contested puck in the corner. You pull then or not at all. Sure it looks goofy when you get scored on 5 seconds later but it's hardly a remarkable decision.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think keefe was more worried about McDavid than playing there game.

Keefe this team needs to play to there strength we are not a defensive juggernaut .

Please learn something from this game.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
faceofhorror.org
Dumpster fire of a game. Both teams were sloppy. Fridays game will be better.
McDavid played like crap tonight and he still got 2 assists and set up the power play (lucky bounce) goal. The stars will be better Friday.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Team never found momentum. Lines weren't working, refs ensured that continued and some players were making mistakes trying too hard to compensate for other players errors.
Rielly, Kerfoot, Vessey were notably bad.
Holl was good btw.
Keefe in my mind wears this.
I think everyone else didn't show up on time. The plan was bad, there was no responsive physicality and the team didnt play to its strengths.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Dumpster fire of a game. Both teams were sloppy. Fridays game will be better.
McDavid played like crap tonight and he still got 2 assists and set up the power play (lucky bounce) goal. The stars will be better Friday.
They likely will be but the lack of consistency remains a problem.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think keefe was more worried about McDavid than playing there game.

Keefe this team needs to play to there strength we are not a defensive juggernaut .

Please learn something from this game.

Pretty surprising that EDM's lack of defense / goaltending wasn't exploited. From what I saw from Toronto's offence, they were all too satisfied playing on the perimeter.

Reactions: horner and Cobra777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad