Rumor: Leafs interested in Luke Schenn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Not a fan of Schenn. Don't think he can move/think with this group. But I'd take him in a heartbeat over most of the other options, because guys like Chiarot are even worse and cost more.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
New Canucks GM looking to make their mark at trade deadline . Prices will be high for any of their players.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Beautiful thing about Schenn is that he truly understands his abilities and limitations, and him and Quinn both know this and use it to their advantage. Schenn is smart and defers to Quinn a lot and can occasionally surprise the other team with a stretch pass of his own. He throws like 5-10 hits a game, fights for teammates and is an absolute steal. It makes no sense to trade him unless it's something like a 2nd.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What would be the price for Schenn + Garland?

Kerfoot + Dermott (Cap Reasons) + 2022 1st + Rodion Amirov + 2023 2nd

would that be enough? not looking to start a fight here just spitballing
I would think that would be deemed an overpay, but as a Canuck fan I would take that deal.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I don't value Kerfoot as a valuable asset, but I've definitely seen worse offers made.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Counter: Garland + Schenn (Cap Reasons) + Podkolzin + 1st + 2nd for Kerfoot + Dermott

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I don't value Kerfoot as a valuable asset, but I've definitely seen worse offers made.
It's a ridiculous trade offer. Kerfoot is having a better year than Garland and make $1.5M less. Maybe the latter has more perceived value because you just spent the 9th OA pick to get him. Dermott for Schenn is probably even value, since Dermott is 7 years younger. So essentially 1st + 2nd + Amirov (2020 15th OA pick) to upgrade Kerfoot to Garland...laughable. Additionally, Leafs would be looking to add to our team not take away a core player from our lineup.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Kerfoot is like a 77 OVR. You don’t get hurt by having him around and he’s probably got a stupid ugly beard and all that so ya don’t hate him but what you do not do is pay 3-4 milliakkis for the privilege.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

No thanks. Zero interest in Kerfoot. He would not be putting up those stats if he was on the Canucks.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Kerfoot is like a 77 OVR. You don’t get hurt by having him around and he’s probably got a stupid ugly beard and all that so ya don’t hate him but what you do not do is pay 3-4 milliakkis for the privilege.
Zero interest in trading Kerfoot, yet, alone for a guy having a worse year.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
No thanks. Zero interest in Kerfoot. He would not be putting up those stats if he was on the Canucks.
Garland is not worth what you paid for him, and the fact VAN is already looking to dump him 6 months later. Yikes! Kerfoot is currently the better player, no way the Leafs trade him away when they are looking to add not subtract.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Garland is not worth what you paid for him, and the fact VAN is already looking to dump him 6 months later. Yikes! Kerfoot is currently the better player, no way the Leafs trade him away when they are looking to add not subtract.
Garland is easily worth what he is paid, Canucks are not looking to dump him. Your post is nonsense. Kerfoot is an empty stats player; enjoy him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's a ridiculous trade offer. Kerfoot is having a better year than Garland and make $1.5M less. Maybe the latter has more perceived value because you just spent the 9th OA pick to get him. Dermott for Schenn is probably even value, since Dermott is 7 years younger. So essentially 1st + 2nd + Amirov (2020 15th OA pick) to upgrade Kerfoot to Garland...laughable. Additionally, Leafs would be looking to add to our team not take away a core player from our lineup.

Garland is on a down year, and every year he's outplayed Kerfoot in every aspect of the game since he joined the Leafs. 102 points in 158 games versus 82 points in 164 games in the past three years, not even considering the differences between Arizona and Toronto. Plus points aren't even Garlands only asset, he draws penalties, hits like a train, agitates like a prime Burrows, blocks shots, plays like he's 6'4"...I mean Kerfoot's only shining spot here is that Kerfoot plays center, and we have 3 guys that are undoubtably better than he is. I suspect Kerfoot is also only included for cap considerations. Pearson scored 21-24-45 with us when he was Kerfoots age, scored better with better teams and roles, and he's back to being on pace to Kerfoots normal so far on the Leafs. We have a disappointing top-six-player-by-default, I'm glad he's contributing for you, but I don't value him at all, and most other fanbases don't value him nearly as high as you do.

Dermott alternates between untouchable wunderkind, that will definitely put it all together despite being the age every Leafs fan writes off other teams prospects, and a throw in (for cap purposes...). Not that Schenn is anything special either, he's just a solid fit for us and this is a thread rumouring Toronto is interested in him. Youth is only worth so much if he's still a depth player with no where to go with us, as we're very well stocked on LHD for our one open spot not written in stone for the next half decade. If you're happy with Dermott, we're very happy keeping Schenn.

Amriov is an overhyped prospect. Not bad, just every writer overblows his positive attributes based on who he plays for. He's definitely the meat of the proposal though. Add a late first and second? That's not an over pay by any stretch of the imagination for a versatile top six winger. Especially not with 5.5 million in cap dump coming back. That's not even a guarantee anyone, fans or management, would accept that offer. Would Holl or Ritchie being the chosen cap dumps make you feel better? Because any one outside of the the Leafs top 4 forwards and top 3 D, with a substantial, non-ELC contract, just don't stand out from the others to me. Short of Mrazek, but you couldn't package him with Amirov for future considerations from us.

Otherwise, no one in Vancouver is in a hurry to move Garland or Schenn.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Garland is easily worth what he is paid, Canucks are not looking to dump him. Your post is nonsense. Kerfoot is an empty stats player; enjoy him.
Let's be real he's not worth the 9OA pick that you paid. Lucky to get a late 1st for him with a salary dump at the TDL.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Garland is on a down year, and every year he's outplayed Kerfoot in every aspect of the game since he joined the Leafs. 102 points in 158 games versus 82 points in 164 games in the past three years, not even considering the differences between Arizona and Toronto. Plus points aren't even Garlands only asset, he draws penalties, hits like a train, agitates like a prime Burrows, blocks shots, plays like he's 6'4"...I mean Kerfoot's only shining spot here is that Kerfoot plays center, and we have 3 guys that are undoubtably better than he is. I suspect Kerfoot is also only included for cap considerations. Pearson scored 21-24-45 with us when he was Kerfoots age, scored better with better teams and roles, and he's back to being on pace to Kerfoots normal so far on the Leafs. We have a disappointing top-six-player-by-default, I'm glad he's contributing for you, but I don't value him at all, and most other fanbases don't value him nearly as high as you do.

Dermott alternates between untouchable wunderkind, that will definitely put it all together despite being the age every Leafs fan writes off other teams prospects, and a throw in (for cap purposes...). Not that Schenn is anything special either, he's just a solid fit for us and this is a thread rumouring Toronto is interested in him. Youth is only worth so much if he's still a depth player with no where to go with us, as we're very well stocked on LHD for our one open spot not written in stone for the next half decade. If you're happy with Dermott, we're very happy keeping Schenn.

Amriov is an overhyped prospect. Not bad, just every writer overblows his positive attributes based on who he plays for. He's definitely the meat of the proposal though. Add a late first and second? That's not an over pay by any stretch of the imagination for a versatile top six winger. Especially not with 5.5 million in cap dump coming back. That's not even a guarantee anyone, fans or management, would accept that offer. Would Holl or Ritchie being the chosen cap dumps make you feel better? Because any one outside of the the Leafs top 4 forwards and top 3 D, with a substantial, non-ELC contract, just don't stand out from the others to me. Short of Mrazek, but you couldn't package him with Amirov for future considerations from us.

Otherwise, no one in Vancouver is in a hurry to move Garland or Schenn.
I think you are missing the point. I will reiterate my last line. Leafs are looking to add at the deadline, not subtract. Kerfoot is a core piece this year. He was one of the best players in the playoffs last year and is having a career year. There is zero chance we trade him heading into the playoffs. If they choke again in the playoffs of course they will blow it up and bodies will fly. In the meantime, VAN is looking at another lottery pick, and is going to try and parlay some of their players into prospects and picks. Can't imagine you would get that much for a guy having down year at $5m x 4 years left, when most teams have no cap space, and I don't see VAN retaining. Lucky to get a late 1st for Garland at the deadline imo.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think you are missing the point. I will reiterate my last line. Leafs are looking to add at the deadline, not subtract. Kerfoot is a core piece this year. He was one of the best players in the playoffs last year and is having a career year. There is zero chance we trade him heading into the playoffs. If they choke again in the playoffs of course they will blow it up and bodies will fly. In the meantime, VAN is looking at another lottery pick, and is going to try and parlay some of their players into prospects and picks. Can't imagine you would get that much for a guy having down year at $5m x 4 years left, when most teams have no cap space, and I don't see VAN retaining. Lucky to get a late 1st for Garland at the deadline imo.

I'm running under the assumption that Kerfoot is out. I don't care for him at all, he is a cap dump to me. If its thought he'll keep his scoring rate up like this to the end of the season, or further, fantastic. But I'm not forgetting his contract hold out or his consecutive sub-30 point seasons either, let alone our absolute derth of available center spots open.

We're in no hurry to trade anyone yet. We're close to "recovering" from a horrible, GM firing, start and finish higher then we expected at the start of the season. Our new management braintrust has used the term "rebuild" a few times already too. Boeser, an RFA, is the only significant player worth a damn that needs a new contract for next season. Miller and Horvat have another year, and Garland's not off contract for a long time. Petey and Hughes are also just starting new contracts. Our other vital, expiring contracts? Halak, Hunt, Chiasson and Motte. If we don't move them for picks this year...meh. There's always next year, as we're spoiling our chance at good lottery odds again. If you really think a late first is all he'd get, and that comes to pass, then we keep him. I'd love a proper rebuild, but I'm not wanting a fire sale or scorched earth situation either, there's no need yet.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Nah, he's worth it. He just gets very little pp time and ice time in general.
Kerfoot has 4 min of power play time this year vs Garland's 80 min, which means he is on the 2nd unit powerplay ...lol. By contrast Kerfoot is one of our best Penalty Killers and has 78 min of PK time vs 2 min for Garland. Kerfoots EV Points per/60 is also much higher than his, while getting 45 sec less ice time per game than Garland...it's not really even close.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I'm running under the assumption that Kerfoot is out. I don't care for him at all, he is a cap dump to me. If its thought he'll keep his scoring rate up like this to the end of the season, or further, fantastic. But I'm not forgetting his contract hold out or his consecutive sub-30 point seasons either, let alone our absolute derth of available center spots open.

We're in no hurry to trade anyone yet. We're close to "recovering" from a horrible, GM firing, start and finish higher then we expected at the start of the season. Our new management braintrust has used the term "rebuild" a few times already too. Boeser, an RFA, is the only significant player worth a damn that needs a new contract for next season. Miller and Horvat have another year, and Garland's not off contract for a long time. Petey and Hughes are also just starting new contracts. Our other vital, expiring contracts? Halak, Hunt, Chiasson and Motte. If we don't move them for picks this year...meh. There's always next year, as we're spoiling our chance at good lottery odds again. If you really think a late first is all he'd get, and that comes to pass, then we keep him. I'd love a proper rebuild, but I'm not wanting a fire sale or scorched earth situation either, there's no need yet.
I am running under the assumption Kerfoot is not a piece Leafs are looking to trade. They may look for a small add at the deadline, and dangle their 1st rounder to add a Dman or a later pick for a depth guy. I agree, I don't see any reason for VAN to sell low on guys with term, considering most playoffs teams have little cap space anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad