Leafs have 10 players with 40pts or more

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Would you rather go straight to man games lost? Because that puts you as the third healthiest team.

Not saying the Leafs had intentions of playing Horton or Lupul, but why dont their man games lost count? If their man games don't count, who else doesn't count.

Who is to say that if those guys were healthy that Babcock doesn't play them, he likes heavy hockey players..

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I fully expect Matthews to be a 90+ point scorer if he plays a full 82 games.

I don't. He's definitely an elite goal scorer but he doesn't distribute the puck anywhere close to the top centers in the game. He will be a 40 goal - 35 assist guy. His production this year was significant;y inflated by on-ice shooting percentage.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't. He's definitely an elite goal scorer but he doesn't distribute the puck anywhere close to the top centers in the game. He will be a 40 goal - 35 assist guy. His production this year was significant;y inflated by on-ice shooting percentage.
But he got 40 as a rookie...
And only 75 points? I don't see it.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Really? I am legitimately shocked, I figured you'd have an excuse like most Bruins fans I talk to.

No I think marchands idiocy affects him and his team negatively. He's way to good to keep up the stupid crap, even stuff I I think only gets looked at because Marchand. It is his fault he is under the microscope. Love the player, wish he would drop the asshat stuff.

Reactions: Alicat

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’m very impressed with how Rielly and Gardiner each topped 50 points for the first time in their careers. Rielly put it best the other day when he attributes his and Gardiner’s offensive surge to Matthews, Marner and Nylander. He said it’s easy to get 50 points when the Big 3 are around. He also said the team goes as the Big 3 go.

Personally, I think Rielly is being quite modest. It’s quite the accomplishment to be the ONLY team among 31 to have 10 players score 40+ points. But I do think he has a point. The Big 3 do make it easy for the others on the team.

Reactions: ThewThew

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Chest thumping, when things are presented in a exhaustive manner, are a-ok. It's good to be happy about one's performance. It's when things are not presented fully and/or with context (when a significant context exists), that it becomes very iffy. Which is the case here.

It's a thread about the top 10 points producers having 40 points or more, with an added brag about how nobody is even near (<- not true).
In that light, my numbers don't push any false narrative: of the Leafs top 10 points producers, there's a total of 30 men games lost. 20 for Matthews, 6 for Rielly, 4 for the remaining eight players.
Do the same exercise for the Bruins and the number is so far 122 - ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-TWO. More than FOUR times the Leafs'. The two are simply not comparable.
And if we go outside the top 10 points producers, we are pushing 200 - TWO HUNDRED. Again, not the same.

Go look at Nashville and Tampa too, and you will find players who could have easily had those 40 points, if it wasn't for injuries.
Not going to diminish what the Bruins have done this year in overcoming injuries (what other playoff- team does compare with Boston for injury + suspension games lost by star players?), but you are citing a big exception there, and you are also cherry-picking stats here. The Leafs simply didn't have an exceptionally healthy year compared to the average of other playoff teams; they had players, including some core guys missing substantial chunks of the season and they managed to stay competitive because of the depth of players they could call up and some like Kapanen, Johnsson and Dermott have played well enough to steal roster spots from the injured guys they were replacing.

The myth that the Leafs "aren't good, just healthy" is thoroughly busted this year. Anyone who wants to keep repeating it just isn't looking at reality.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why are we talking about the Bruins health anyways?

They can make their own excuse threads before the series starts.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
No players over 70 points is interesting(Marner at 69 though, kid surprised me the most this year). But the depth scoring seems really strong, I wonder how that holds up with the clampdown defensively in the post season.

Bruins have 2 players over 70
PHI has 3
TB has 2
Pitts has 3

The only other "top" team with no 70+ point scorers is NSH.

All of those top teams have veterans in their prime. The Leafs are being led by a young corps of talent. I will be concerned if we still have no 70 point players when our best players are 30, like Boston, Philly and Pitt.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
All of those top teams have veterans in their prime. The Leafs are being led by a young corps of talent. I will be concerned if we still have no 70 point players when our best players are 30, like Boston, Philly and Pitt.

Our Big 3 are actually very accomplished for 20-21 year olds. Can you imagine how good and accomplished they’ll be at age 25 or 30? It’s really astounding, the possibilities that await a young core that keeps progressing, both individually and in relation to how they take charge of the direction of their team.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think it’s understandable fans of other teams want to talk about the Leafs. The Leafs have a sort of gravitational pull in hockey. It’s hard to resist, objectively. They’re fascinating, incredibly trailblazing, and unique in brand.

The Big 3 Matthews, Marner and Nylander are also probably the most intriguing trio in hockey, for their age, accomplishments and future possibilities.

Reactions: ThewThew

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think it’s understandable fans of other teams want to talk about the Leafs. The Leafs have a sort of gravitational pull in hockey. It’s hard to resist, objectively. They’re fascinating, incredibly trailblazing, and unique in brand.

The Big 3 Matthews, Marner and Nylander are also probably the most intriguing trio in hockey, for their age, accomplishments and future possibilities.

They probably have one of the better collections of young talent in the league.

I am really interested to see how the perform in the playoffs though when the checking gets tighter.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Best team in the league with the widest roster and the sharpest top end. People have been underestimating the Leaf's and Matthews for too long, this will change when they dominate the Play-offs and advance to at least the SCFs.

Good forward depth. I’ll eat my hat if they win anything with that defense.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
They probably have one of the better collections of young talent in the league.

I am really interested to see how the perform in the playoffs though when the checking gets tighter.

Matthews appears tailor-made for the playoffs. He doesn’t rely on one single dominant skill like his speed or one-timer. He’s a jack of all trades type of scorer/playmaker/grinder. He’s probably the perfect playoff player.

I am interested, though, in how Marner and Nylander perform, for sure.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not going to diminish what the Bruins have done this year in overcoming injuries (what other playoff- team does compare with Boston for injury + suspension games lost by star players?), but you are citing a big exception there, and you are also cherry-picking stats here. The Leafs simply didn't have an exceptionally healthy year compared to the average of other playoff teams; they had players, including some core guys missing substantial chunks of the season and they managed to stay competitive because of the depth of players they could call up and some like Kapanen, Johnsson and Dermott have played well enough to steal roster spots from the injured guys they were replacing.

The myth that the Leafs "aren't good, just healthy" is thoroughly busted this year. Anyone who wants to keep repeating it just isn't looking at reality.

Obviously I am missing something about the Leafs roster regarding the bolded part. I know Matthews was a huge blow (and the team did remarkably well in his absence) but looking at the leafs roster I dont see other core guys missing substantial chunks of time? Who am I missing? Andersen missed games too, right? Otherwise, from a casual observer I say they are good AND healthy.

That said, there is no denying the amazing depth the Leafs have built in a short time. The 10 x 40 point players is a testament to that. The team can role 3 lines (4?) with the best in the league. And their core is very young and among the best and deepest league wide.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

I have not double checked, but it was #1 Anaheim and #2 Bruins for more injuries, for the longest time. I believe that the sustained amount of injuries makes them neck and neck for unluckiest in the league.

Other posters in this very thread cited that the Leafs had the 4th least injuries in the league. Though I personally don't have that data. You ought to ask them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
when you play on the top line rather than the bottom-6, its easier to get points
He's on the top line because Nylander and Matthews are the drivers. As they should be. Hyman's job is to get them the puck. I'm not sure what more you want from a 2M dollar cap hit. For him to drive scoring for a likely 10M and 6+7M cap hit players?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's on the top line because Nylander and Matthews are the drivers. As they should be. Hyman's job is to get them the puck. I'm not sure what more you want from a 2M dollar cap hit. For him to drive scoring for a likely 10M and 6+7M cap hit players?
you said you were surprised that hyman had more points than brown or something around those words and i explained to you why that shouldn't be a surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad