Leafs have 10 players with 40pts or more

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, but it wouldn't make YOU feel better.
This conversation is becoming incredibly inane. When it stops being about hockey analysis and becomes just one person engaging in petty pointless bickering I prefer to step away; there is nothing to be gained.

Bye.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This conversation is becoming incredibly inane. When it stops being about hockey analysis and becomes just one person engaging in petty pointless bickering I prefer to step away; there is nothing to be gained.

Bye.
...says the guy who attached himself to a mention en passant and wouldn't let go... You expected to be taken seriously after that? Lol

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Chef is also 25? He was a nobody at Auston's age.

your name is nobody...

progression isn't linear. how many times do we have to go over this?

the argument isn't if Matthews can or will be better. it's that he hasn't proven he has been. he's has one season that's not really arguably better considering the stats are 3 points of with scheifele playing less games

my issue with you leafs fans is how you always jump the gun and make definite statements that can't be made till it actually happens

that's like Matt sera is better than gsp for winning thst one fight despite gap having a more dominant career. then they rematch and gap dominates. there's a reason you watil at least another season before making such claims

so the reason I give scheifele the nod is because he's been doing it longer. which is how you should do things. not based off one moment

calm your horses

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
you're name is nobody...

progression isn't linear. how many times do we have to go over this?

the argument isn't if Matthews can or will be better. it's that he hasn't proven he has been. he's has one season that's not really arguably better considering the stats are 3 points of with scheifele playing less games

my issue with you leafs fans is how you always jump the gun and make definite statements that can't be made till it actually happens

that's like Matt sera is better than gsp for winning thst one fight despite gap having a more dominant career. then they rematch and gap dominates. there's a reason you watil at least another season before making such claims

so the reason I give scheifele the nod is because he's been doing it longer. which is how you should do things. not based off one moment

calm your horses

Your*

And Chef couldn't hold Auston's jock strap at that age. You can take your progression argument and shove it.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Your*

And Chef couldn't hold Auston's jock strap at that age. You can take your progression argument and shove it.

I guess Matthews is better than pavel datsyuk with that logic

you must be 13 so I'll refrain from having a silly argument with a child

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I guess Matthews is better than pavel datsyuk with that logic

you must be 13 so I'll refrain from having a silly argument with a child

Well at the moment, Auston Matthews is better than Pavel Datsyuk. And I would highly urge you to refrain from having any silly arguments. Do us all a favour and just stay away from Leafs threads.

Thanks. :)

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
If you are going to claim a statistic as evidence to support your argument but can't actually cite the source, then it isn't going to hold much weight. If you have numbers to show that support your point, then post them and we can discuss that, otherwise it is just meaningless hear-say.

I hope your Bruins meet the Leafs in the Playoffs, then we can finally put this myth that the Leafs only got to where they were by luck and not skill to the test.

Matthews, Rielly, Andersen, Zaisev and Komorov all missed substantial time this season due to injuries. That is the team's 1st line centre, 1D-man, starting goalie, second pair D-man and third line winger/top penalty killer... not losses that are particularly easy to overcome. Other players missed games here and there, but those were the main injuries. I certainly won't claim that the Leafs were especially injury prone this year, but they certainly overcame their fair share of injuries, particularly to players in key positions.
NHL Injury Viz: 2017/18 team injury breakdowns

Leafs were the third healthiest team in the league this year.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
NHL Injury Viz: 2017/18 team injury breakdowns

Leafs were the third healthiest team in the league this year.
Ah, "CHIP"... Cap Hit of Injured Players

Convenient with Matthews (and his missing 21 games) being on an ELC there (as with most of their corps). Heck Matthews could have missed the entire season and that still would have been weighted less then... the Sens missing Bobby Ryan for 20 games.

That is a hugely misleading metric.
Heck, if it was Marleau who missed the 21 games rather than Matthews the Leafs would have shot down that list... obviously that must mean they would have been much more "impacted by injuries" :sarcasm:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
where the ignore button at?
edit:nvm found it

I'll just stay away from childish arguments little boy

you can talk to me when you st
Why are you still posting responses? And I think my life would be better served without silly fans like you in it. No offence.

Reactions: Cotton

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Ah, "CHIP"... Cap Hit of Injured Players

Convenient with Matthews (and his missing 21 games) being on an ELC there (as with most of their corps).

That is a hugely misleading metric.

As has been mentioned, in just plain games lost, the Leafs fare similarly.

The Leafs have been very healthy the last 2 years. That’s not taking anything away from them. They’ve also been very good.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
As has been mentioned, in just plain games lost, the Leafs fare similarly.

The Leafs have been very healthy the last 2 years. That’s not taking anything away from them. They’ve also been very good.
Where can I see that metric? All I see on that site is "Cap Hit".

And yes, last season the Leafs were indeed unusually healthy, but as I pointed out above, they had some very key guys missing a lot of time this year. This isn't unusual for a hockey team, but it wasn't like they were blessed with injury luck for a second straight year.

Thank you for posting that source in the first place though. CHIP isn't a bad metric, just not really accurate when judging a team where its core players are all on ELCs.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Where can I see that metric? All I see on that site is "Cap Hit".

And yes, last season the Leafs were indeed unusually healthy, but as I pointed out above, they had some very key guys missing a lot of time this year. This isn't unusual for a hockey team, but it wasn't like they were blessed with injury luck for a second straight year.

Thank you for posting that source in the first place though. CHIP isn't a bad metric, just not really accurate when judging a team where its core players are all on ELCs.

Hmmm. Not easy to find. This was as of March

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

To be expected when over a third of your team is rookies and now they are still only in their second year.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's all good stuff, but I don't think that they're the only ones.

Also... Injuries mostly come down to unlucky situations. I mean, after all & for example, a Brandon Carlo getting his skate stuck in a rut and getting his fibula broken in the subsequent twisting motion couldn't have been avoided by any sports science team. Same goes for a puck to the skate that breaks a bone. A Paquette high hit to the head, causing a concussion. Or diverticulitis that gets one to have a foot of intestines excised. Etc etc...
I'm sure they aren't, but they are the richest franchise in the league and can afford better infrastructure than other teams. As well the critical thing is what they've done AFTER an injury, obviously injuries are often fluky in nature but some guys become injury prone because their original issues or injuries and resulting rehab was not done properly.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Sure but young guys get hurt a lot less easily than old ones.
On average, the Leafs are not that young of a team. The Jets, for example, are younger and had many more injuries.

That’s on average. Guys like Marleau and Hainsey bring that average up obviously.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Hmmm. Not easy to find. This was as of March

It is a pity that list is not up to date, and I would contend that since the bulk of the major injuries went to Toronto's most important players (eg. Andersen and Matthews) and those players also played hurt when they returned (Leafs hopeful Auston Matthews will be back at end of week | CBC Sports) that those games lost to injuries had an outsized impact relative to other teams (eg. Detroit) but at least those are some numbers that provide at least some evidence to the claim or Toronto as a whole team having better than average health this year. Just sucks that the Leaf's big stars seemed to be the guys affected most.

Again, thanks for taking the time to dig up the sources.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
It is a pity that list is not up to date, and I would contend that since the bulk of the major injuries went to Toronto's most important players (eg. Andersen and Matthews) and those players also played hurt when they returned (Leafs hopeful Auston Matthews will be back at end of week | CBC Sports) that those games lost to injuries had an outsized impact relative to other teams (eg. Detroit) but at least those are some numbers that provide at least some evidence to the claim or Toronto as a whole team having better than average health this year. Just sucks that the Leaf's big stars seemed to be the guys affected most.

Again, thanks for taking the time to dig up the sources.
I get what you mean about chip. Fact is that one of the Leafs most off injured players was also their best player... who just so happens to be on an ELC.

Reactions: NoName

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Since the vast majority of participants in this thread are Leafs and Bruins fans; there's a thread in the Playoffs forum that should interest all of you.

As for this thread, closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad