Proposal: Leafs - Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's funny, because the attitude you have right now is the actual reason we haven't been competitive for so long.

No, because Johnny Gaudreau is nothing like Phil Kessel. And besides, Kessel wasn't the problem in Toronto. He's the only reason the Leafs even sniffed the playoffs. If he came in with the supporting cast he'd have now, the Leafs would have certainly been much more competitive.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I honestly think Marner has the potential to be better; although I'm a Leafs fan so I'm obviously biased. That being said Johnny is a proven legit player so Calgary would be gambling that Marner even reaches Gaudreaus level.
So the add from the Leafs would have to be something significant and something we couldn't afford to give up.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner + 1st would be the equivalent of Zacha, Mcleod, 1st and maybe even another 1st. but i bet thats not mortgaging the future right, Gaudrea is only 23!!! lol

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No, because Johnny Gaudreau is nothing like Phil Kessel. And besides, Kessel wasn't the problem in Toronto. He's the only reason the Leafs even sniffed the playoffs. If he came in with the supporting cast he'd have now, the Leafs would have certainly been much more competitive.

Haha can you provide some proof that Gaudreau is nothing like Phil Kessel? Kessel was a top 5 pick, who fell to 5 in the year or so prior to his draft, had just completed a 36goal/60pt in 70 game season with room to grow and was younger than Gaudreau is today. Kessel was every bit the hot commodity that Gaudreau is today.

You're absolutely right that Kessel wasn't the problem, he needed a supporting cast, and you're talking about trading our supporting cast to get Gaudreau...it has not worked for us in the past. Kessel was just under a .9 ppg player for us, and was a goal scorer which is typically valued higher, and he wasn't enough by a long shot.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I love Kessel as a player, but we absolutely got killed on that trade. And I'm not just talking about that trade, we've always traded away our home grown talent only for it to almost always come back to bite us in the rear.

Marner + 1st is absolutely not a trade the Leafs should be making right now. Though this has been said, and you seem to think you know more about the Leafs than their actual fans do, so agree to disagree.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I honestly think Marner has the potential to be better; although I'm a Leafs fan so I'm obviously biased. That being said Johnny is a proven legit player so Calgary would be gambling that Marner even reaches Gaudreaus level.
So the add from the Leafs would have to be something significant and something we couldn't afford to give up.

I love Kessel as a player, but we absolutely got killed on that trade. And I'm not just talking about that trade, we've always traded away our home grown talent only for it to almost always come back to bite us in the rear.

Marner + 1st is absolutely not a trade the Leafs should be making right now. Though this has been said, and you seem to think you know more about the Leafs than their actual fans do, so agree to disagree.

Sort of funny that both fan bases see this thread, believe the value is fair in a vaccuum but don't think it fits their teams need, and totally respect that it doesn't fit the other teams needs, but a fan of Neither team just won't let us be happy about being patient

Last edited:

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
StevieY offered Stamkos straight up for the Eichel pick. Matthews is widely considered to be as good as Eichel (some think he's better, some think he's worse, it's close regardless). Depends if you see JG as better than Stammer, but it's at least close to a real world offer that was turned down.

Thats redundent.. were not going to accept a package for JG, if we need to add for Matthews we would or we dont trade JG. Were not trading for your future 2nd liner in Marner plus parts..

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Thats redundent.. were not going to accept a package for JG, if we need to add for Matthews we would or we dont trade JG. Were not trading for your future 2nd liner in Marner plus parts..

That's just ignorant, unanimous top 10 prospect in the NHL. He's everything that Bennett was a year ago and maybe more as he went in the same spot in a better draft.

Neither fan base wants to do this trade, but slandering the assets of other teams doesn't make you look smart.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, you guys are completely out to lunch homers. I'm sorry to say it, you've been reasonable to a point. But with the current depth of assets the Leafs already have, it would be astonishingly foolish to not add a young, proven franchise winger to go along with Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Marner will in all likelihood be a 1st line player who puts up north of 55 - 70 points. If the Flames can't resign Gaudreau to a reasonable deal, getting an asset like a Marner would be a good core piece of a deal.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ok, you guys are completely out to lunch homers. I'm sorry to say it, you've been reasonable to a point. But with the current depth of assets the Leafs already have, it would be astonishingly foolish to not add a young, proven franchise winger to go along with Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly.

Cool man, take care.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Taking away any sort of trade value, do you not think Marner is a potential franchise winger?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Taking away any sort of trade value, do you not think Marner is a potential franchise winger?

He has the potential, but I wouldn't say it's his expected level. He's been one of my favorite prospects for some time.

But there is still risk, and in this league, certainty is worth a tremendous amount when dealing with franchise players.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

It's okay, you just haven't experienced what we've experienced the past ten years, we'eve learnt from it. I'm also a big fan of Marner, and that pick could be a top D for us, which we need much much more than a scoring winger.

Again, no thanks.

What if the flames did this kind of trade with Monahan and their next year 1st (Bennett) for an RFA who had a huge year? Obviously depending on who the RFA is, but it could've been baaaaaad. I see the Flames at that point of time, and the Leafs of now pretty similar.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

I am betting that despite this guy insisting we should trade Marner + 2017 1st or whatever combination of young prospects, he absolutely lambasted us for dealing 2 firsts and a second for Kessel.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
He has the potential, but I wouldn't say it's his expected level. He's been one of my favorite prospects for some time.

But there is still risk
, and in this league, certainty is worth a tremendous amount when dealing with franchise players.
Fair enough. I just feel like Marner could reach a Gaudreau level, and it's not like we're in a rush, I'd rather just see how Marner does and not give up the assets. I'd love to have Gaudreau but I feel like the plus would be more than we'd want to pay.
Edit: You a Pogues fan?

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I am betting that despite this guy insisting we should trade Marner + 2017 1st or whatever combination of young prospects, he absolutely lambasted us for dealing 2 firsts and a second for Kessel.

Only after they turned into Seguin and Hamilton. It was a good trade for us until the assets we gave up panned out, then we were foolish to give them up for Mr. Potatohead

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Nope, I was a fan of that trade, I actually posted a nice long congrats post on the Leafs forum when it broke.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Fair enough. I just feel like Marner could reach a Gaudreau level, and it's not like we're in a rush, I'd rather just see how Marner does and not give up the assets. I'd love to have Gaudreau but I feel like the plus would be more than we'd want to pay.
Edit: You a Pogues fan?

Yep. Pogues, Murphys, Clancy's, Dubliners etc. Big Irish music fan lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad