Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
MLSE has got to be one of the least money-conscious organizations I have ever seen. These guys are owned by the telecoms that gouge us for every penny? This is a great golden parachute for Keefe when he gets fired in December.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs love to reward failure

Can someone help me get a job at mlse; it seems screwing up in the job leads to new contracts and lucrative salaries players and coaches alike

My boss can learn a thing or two from the Leafs ;)

Every coach in the NHL has biases for (or against) players that fans disagree with, it's not anything unique to Keefe at all

his love fest of holl was not bias it was something unheard off

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A

Are you aware that the PP was 2nd during the regular season, but only 6th best in the playoffs? That a fact BTW, not a "negative anecdote".

For more context how many PP’s did the leafs actually generate during the playoffs? And 6th isn’t exactly horrible out of 12. Don’t think power play is our issue here.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Just remembered cooper the year tampa had been swept in playoff, everyone wanted his head because they tought he was not the right guy to push tampa all the way... but they keep him and now considerate probably like best actual NHL coach...

When you want to change for the best, sometime youre just getting worst.

Dude look at cooper’s nhl resume before that series. it’s not the same. it isn’t apples to apples comparison

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Because it was successful without him as well. I just don't understand why everything has to be so negative all the time. We had the second best PP and now I'm in a discussion about it not being good enough. Maybe if someone did a statistical analysis of how the PP performed with / without certain players (there might be an advanced stat for that, I'll take a quick look) it would be something to discuss but other than that just another negative anecdote is just that.
The Leafs PP dropped from 26% to 25% in playoffs. They finished the PLayoffs around 6th for PP%

Nylander went from a high usage guy in the season in line with Matthews/Marner to getting 1.5 minutes less than them in playoffs, so a substantial reduction given the top PP minutes for us were in the low 3's.

Of the common PP'ers, he has the highest on ice GF/60, xGF/60 amd HDCF/60 in playoffs.

Seems like they really wanted to get some more bodies infront in both series and that cost him some minutes.

Reactions: 666

Jun 27, 2005
A

Are you aware that the PP was 2nd during the regular season, but only 6th best in the playoffs? That a fact BTW, not a "negative anecdote".
Yes I am, but that's a pretty small sample size and the PP% was about the same. I took a quick look at Matthews PP numbers and they were pretty well the same with and without Nylander during the regular season. There's not enough data for the playoffs but Matthews did a bit better with Nylander than without.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Keefe has done an amazing job with the team despite the lack of playoff success. He is an excellent coach. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how he coaches this year compared to previous years without Dubas. He will call people out and won't back down. Keefe was held back and everyone will see that now. I do believe he will go down as one of the better coaches we ever had one day.

if he does another « takesy-backsy » I would lose my crap :laugh:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Let's not get carried away with calling him a bad coach. Clearly he isn't. This team was 5th in team defense last season with an averagish defense corps and wonky goaltending. Obviously the team wasn't a mess in terms of systems during the regular season at least.

2023-24 is going to be interesting. BT essentially ignored defense across the board with his off-season replacements. Do not be surprised to see this team have league average defense this season with the team back to having top 5 offense.
Leafs get by on raw talent in regular season.

I am pretty sure that anyone on this board could "coach" the Leafs to 90+ points just by sending out Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares for 20+ mins a night

In the playoffs with teams show up with gameplans to counter the Leafs usual play and make in game adjustments Keefe gets absolutely dunked on without fail every year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
MLSE has got to be one of the least money-conscious organizations I have ever seen. These guys are owned by the telecoms that gouge us for every penny? This is a great golden parachute for Keefe when he gets fired in December.

I thought they were crying about paying Babcock. So maybe not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For more context how many PP’s did the leafs actually generate during the playoffs? And 6th isn’t exactly horrible out of 12. Don’t think power play is our issue here.

Yes I am, but that's a pretty small sample size and the PP% was about the same. I took a quick look at Matthews PP numbers and they were pretty well the same with and without Nylander during the regular season. There's not enough data for the playoffs but Matthews did a bit better with Nylander than without.
I'm not saying the PP was "the issue", and I agree the sample size is small, I'm not even saying that the PP numbers prove anything. I just think taking Nylander off PP was a strange move - as has been pointed out already, with a PP that's the 2nd best in the NHL, why mess with it at all? And as I said earlier, it's not just the PP, Keefe taking him off PP1 just fits with my overall impression which is that Nylander should be getting more ice time, especially in situations where we need a goal.

And especially in the 3rd period, the guy skates like the wind, isn't getting enough ice time to be tired so and often times was creating offence by himself so why not double shift him now and then? I would throw him out there with the 4th line for a shift here and there and maybe he skates through the opposition and ties the game. We all have our opinions, mine is that Keefe doesn't know what he has in Nylander and isn't using him to maximum effect, not even close.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Leafs get by on raw talent in regular season.

I am pretty sure that anyone on this board could "coach" the Leafs to 90+ points just by sending out Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares for 20+ mins a night

In the playoffs with teams show up with gameplans to counter the Leafs usual play and make in game adjustments Keefe gets absolutely dunked on without fail every year.
Just so I'm clear about this, I'm neither a Keefe fan or think he's a great coach, but I'm attempting to bring in some sanity here. A bad coach would get "dunked on" repeatedly during the regular season long before the post-season. Does Keefe get out-coached in the playoffs? Perhaps. Perhaps also we don't get heart and soul efforts in the playoffs as well. You may never have seen an actual bad Leafs' coach. Dan Maloney was a bad coach, the team seemed perpetually confused under him. Mike Murphy was a terrible coach unable to figure out how to use Hall of Famer Larry Murphy either because he wasn't so bright or because he was blinded by hate for the individual. The team literally went from bottom of the league to the conference finals in a single year changing from Murphy to Quinn.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Interesting isn't it. How these teams choose every playoffs to use this game plan in the playoffs, but then come the following regular season, they completely abandon these proven winning strategies to beat us. It's interesting that these teams choose to lose each year, when they have this gameplan to win.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Apparently the players love Keefe so at least they'll be happy next season. You sort of got the feeling that ROR wasn't impressed with some of the coaching decisions in the FLA series.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Provides more stability in the dressing room but in reality he could be easily fired if the team underperforms likes Wilson when he was extended then fired only a few months in

Yeah I don’t think anything has changed other than maybe give him more security on paper to be able to go head to head vs the players instead of feeling like a lame duck. The money doesn’t matter to MLSE. They have 5-6 AGM’s.

Jun 27, 2005
I'm not saying the PP was "the issue", and I agree the sample size is small, I'm not even saying that the PP numbers prove anything. I just think taking Nylander off PP was a strange move - as has been pointed out already, with a PP that's the 2nd best in the NHL, why mess with it at all? And as I said earlier, it's not just the PP, Keefe taking him off PP1 just fits with my overall impression which is that Nylander should be getting more ice time, especially in situations where we need a goal.

And especially in the 3rd period, the guy skates like the wind, isn't getting enough ice time to be tired so and often times was creating offence by himself so why not double shift him now and then? I would throw him out there with the 4th line for a shift here and there and maybe he skates through the opposition and ties the game. We all have our opinions, mine is that Keefe doesn't know what he has in Nylander and isn't using him to maximum effect, not even close.
I'm not a big Nylander fan particularly defensively and offensively against the boards. But this is not the thread for it.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Sounds like Treliving and Keefe agreed on how it was Dubas philosophy holding him back…
Let’s see if Keefe is different this year.
I’m excited to see.

I also understand the Peace of mind as well.
Treliving and his people analyzed Keefe and probably realized it wasn’t all on him.

In his press conference, treliving kept saying Keefes relationship with the players…

Perhaps Matthews mentioned a liking to him?
Who knows…

I’m fine with seeing Keefe without Dubas people around and with a tougher squad.

Reactions: LeafSteel

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

They are just going to raise prices for tickets, beers/food/etc. at the game, merchandise, hockey aps, etc.

As long as suckers continue to play the high prices there is no incentive for mlse to change the way they operate IMO. The ShanaCON is real

Reactions: geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad