Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If Trotz couldn't even get an extension with his resume, yet Keefe just did... yikes.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.33.50 PM.png

This was his record before the cup...

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
So basically we’re just running it back completely this season with the exception of Dubas leaving, who we actually wanted to keep anyway.

As someone said earlier, we sure do love rewarding failure and underperformance.
Speak for yourself. I wanted the boy wonder and his AHL sidekick gone.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Garbage. Valuing playoff success isn’t intrinsically linked to major changes needing to be made. We both value playoff success. We just don’t necessarily agree in how you get there
Well, I'm not sure what more evidence I could possibly provide than the 7 years of playoff failure without any major changes to the core. If that doesn't change your mind that changes need to be made, nothing will.

What's 8 or even 10 years of failure if 7 doesn't do it for ya

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Loh my.
So now let's see. Was dubas coaching Keefe to play soft? As a player Keefe was pretty rough, so let's see if he can coach his team to play that way.
Hopefully the addition of Boucher will help when it comes to in game adjustment.

Reactions: LeafSteel

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agreed. Those who value playoff success want changes. Those who are content to pay the losers based on regular season performances are as happy as a pig in shit.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.37.03 PM.png

Seems like a no brainer... let's hire Ducharme.

Well, I'm not sure what more evidence I could possibly provide than the 7 years of playoff failure without any major changes to the core. If that doesn't change your mind that changes need to be made, nothing will.

What's 8 or even 10 years of failure if 7 doesn't do it for ya

The guy who said maybe it is time to make some changes just got fired.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
For the same reason Paul Maurice was deemed one of the worst coaches of the NHL prior to the season and barely got his team to the post-season, only because another team lost they made it. Sometimes you get a little luck on your side, it happens. And Tampa Bay cares very much about the regular season, because good teams do that. Let me know when Cooper or Stamkos or Hedman have ever said the regular season doesn't matter.

But if you say Paul Maurice is a fantastic coach that outcoached everyone except Cassidy, then who am I to disagree?
PoMo got to the Stanley Cup freaking Finals. Keefe won exactly one game in the second round (with half the team cap tied up in 4 players). One of these things is not like the other.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Garbage. Valuing playoff success isn’t intrinsically linked to major changes needing to be made. We both value playoff success. We just don’t necessarily agree in how you get there
I think this is it, really. I'm not fussed over Keefe staying, but I will say that he's the one change I would've made sure to make after this season. He just seems to overcomplicate things in the playoffs, but obviously he's growing as a coach, the players seem to like him, and we've been quite good under him.

I'd also say, what are the options? Quenneville if he gets reinstated? (No thank you, by the way, and not because of his win/loss record). As much as I dislike Treliving, when he came in and said that you just gotta keep knocking on the door until you push it down, I nodded in agreement. There is nothing inherently wrong with this team, but it's not fun to say that on the internet. It's more fun to cry about it until they win. If they do? Big deal, you're happy. If they don't? You can wax poetic on the internet for the rest of your life how right you were.

Reactions: Sypher04

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
View attachment 739887

This was his record before the cup...
You do realize he spent his career getting the most bang for your buck he could out of a very terrible (and cash poor) Nashville team? He took a shit roster and made it greater than the sum of its parts.

Meanwhile Keefe, backed by the richest team in the NHL overflowing with talent, somehow manages to produce a product that's worse than the sum of its parts.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Removes the lame duck coach. It gives him confidence to his job and have security. There are no cap penalties here. If the Leafs don't do well, they can change the coach on a whim without problems. There are no coaches available that would be any sort of upgrade as much as people wanna believe he's the worst thing ever.

He has a pretty good regular season record and the players seem to enjoy playing for him.

No issues here at all.
If Leaf fans think he’s the worst ever it’s probably because they haven’t had the misfortune of being coached by Therrien and Ducharme. Lol

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You do realize he spent his career getting the most bang for your buck he could out of a very terrible (and cash poor) Nashville team? He took a shit roster and made it greater than the sum of its parts.

Meanwhile Keefe, backed by the richest team in the NHL overflowing with talent, somehow manages to produce a product that's worse than the sum of its parts.

But Dubas constructed a terrible team... or is the team constructed really well and full of playoff winners but Keefe can't get it done?

What talking point are we using this thread?

Reactions: HockeyVirus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
PoMo got to the Stanley Cup freaking Finals. Keefe won exactly one game in the second round (with half the team cap tied up in 4 players). One of these things is not like the other.

Craig MacTavish and Dominique Ducharme also got to the Stanley Cup finals.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Surprised this didn't happen earlier this summer once the decision was made.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
But Dubas constructed a terrible team... or is the team constructed really well and full of playoff winners but Keefe can't get it done?

What talking point are we using this thread?
Well if the players are as good as some here would like to think, saying their contracts are indeed fair market value...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Then why dismiss PoMo outcoaching Keefe in the PO in the same breath you dismiss his coaching abilities during the regular season? For example: Tampa is proudly indifferent to the regular season, because they know those stats don't win cups (nor deserve pay raises nor contract extensions). What point were you trying to make then exactly?

Dubas brought Keefe in from his fetish with the Greyhounds. That ain't on Shanny
And Dubas was very non committal about an extension in his end of season presser

Shanny let him go and immediately promised the core they were all returning and has now extended Keefe

I maintain that the board / MLSE is content with strong regular seasons and rolling the dice on playoff success more than taking a chance they could put them closer to the cup or backfire (CAL / FLA)

Reactions: myleafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well if the players are as good as some here would like to think, saying their contracts are indeed fair market value...

Why can you never answer a question?

Did Keefe fail? This means our team was constructed well enough to win, but he wasn't good enough.

Did Dubas fail? This means our team was not constructed well and Keefe had no shot.

Not sure you can have it both ways, but I am sure you will try.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
florida's goalie posted a .950 and ours posted a .900. that's what happened in the second round.
I wonder if that had anything to do with breakout vs forecheck schemes, transitional play vs containment, forecheck vs box out, shooting at certain areas of the net that have been identified as the goalies weak areas? Who would be responsible for developing such schemes that may result in such stats? 🤔

Reactions: myleafs

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why can you never answer a question?

Did Keefe fail? This means our team was constructed well enough to win, but he wasn't good enough.

Did Dubas fail? This means our team was not constructed well and Keefe had no shot.

Not sure you can have it both ways, but I am sure you will try.
I can and I will have it both ways. Hell I'll have it 3 ways.

The players were coddled when the previous coaches asked for any kind of accountability. They were rewarded with massively inflated contracts that don't match their playoff production. That's on Dubas and Keefe. Yet the players have also shown absolutely 0 interest and 0 ability to turn it on and become playoff winners. That's on the players.

You absolutely can have the wrong GM, wrong coach, and wrong players.

And when I say players, I'm obviously referring to Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Another great move. What's next? Nylander walking away (own rental as someone called it)? Marner @13M? JT resigning @9.99 ?

Buckle up, it's going to be a ride.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I can and I will have it both ways. Hell I'll have it 3 ways.

The players were coddled when the previous coaches asked for any kind of accountability. They were rewarded with massively inflated contracts that don't match their playoff production. That's on Dubas and Keefe. Yet the players have also shown absolutely 0 interest and 0 ability to turn it on and become playoff winners. That's on the players.

You absolutely can have the wrong GM, wrong coach, and wrong players.

And when I say players, I'm obviously referring to Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander.

So everything is wrong, yet the team was better than 75% of the league last year... an example is LA. Imagine being worse than what you just described.

This reads like someone who has no idea what the issue is so they are throwing darts at everything.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
And Dubas was very non committal about an extension in his end of season presser

Shanny let him go and immediately promised the core they were all returning and has now extended Keefe

I maintain that the board / MLSE is content with strong regular seasons and rolling the dice on playoff success more than taking a chance they could put them closer to the cup or backfire (CAL / FLA)
I agree with all of your points, but take a different road on Keefe extension/dismissal: Dubas was non-comittal on keeping Keefe because IF he was extended, that would be a bullet in the gun to shoot to save his job. I think Dubas was a snake and would've thrown his protégé under the bus to keep the paychecks flowing. Not that I'm defending Shanny (because I do think this is all about revenue, not success), but I think he legitimately left it to the new GM to make his own new bed.

Who know, I might be eating a bakery worth of humble pie in a year from now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad