Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So paying Marner 9 million a year is bad? is that WAYYY underpaid?

Or should I be grateful that I get to see Mitch skate around and get points, and have no cup because the cap makes us give players away?

Am I doing this right?

I am pretty sure Leaf fans want to see him get paid fair, and are not asking him to take 100,000 a year lol
Mitch Marner is not accepting less than Jack Eichel did two years ago. Mitch Marner is going to make more than 9.5 because if he isn’t hes being paid less for his production than Nylander.

Just because your GM didnt trade Nylander during holdout and signed Marleau doesnt mean you dont pay your elite talent.

If Mitch Marner is the fallout from the Leafs cap then they f***ed up

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Mitch Marner is not accepting less than Jack Eichel did two years ago. Mitch Marner is going to make more than 9.5 because if he isn’t hes being paid less for his production than Nylander.

Just because your GM didnt trade Nylander during holdout and signed Marleau doesnt mean you dont pay your elite talent.

If Mitch Marner is the fallout from the Leafs cap then they ****ed up

Marner should not be getting what Eichel makes, and is not a top line franchise C.

9-9.5 is completely fair, and other player contracts exist in the NHL, it can't solely be based on just our internal contracts.

Of the top 10 point producers in the league, who gets 11 or more?

Hell other than McDavid and Kane, who get's more than 10?

Reactions: PemIceKing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Marner should not be getting what Eichel makes, and is not a top line franchise C.

9-9.5 is completely fair, and other player contracts exist in the NHL, it can't solely be based on just our internal contracts.

It doesn't matter what other teams have paid. What matters is that this GM has set a standard of overpaying his RFAs. And has also shown a willingness to cave in the case of a holdout.

If I'm Marner's agent I'm asking for 11.5+ and I tell Mitch to out until Dubas either caves again or is fired.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It doesn't matter what other teams have paid. What matters is that this GM has set a standard of overpaying his RFAs. And has also shown a willingness to cave in the case of a holdout.

If I'm Marner's agent I'm asking for 11.5+ and I tell Mitch to out until Dubas either caves again or is fired.

Listen.... I LOVE Mitch, and want him to be a lifer, but if he won't take less than 11.5, Dubas will not get fired, and Shanny will drive Mitch to the airport.

We cannot have another player making almost 12 million per year, regardless of what he wants.

Mitch is not AM or even JT, he is not a franchise C, and if Matty was healthy, he hits 100 easy without question. Getting Kuch money and slotting in 3rd on the star chart is not bad, and he won't be waiting in food bank lines for food.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Let him sign the ****ing sheet, we will take the picks.

Enough is enough with these players, I will respect Dubas if he sticks to his structure on this one.

Marner will see things a bit different if he see that there is a real possibility of leaving the team he has wanted to play for since being a child.

If he doesn't care, well good riddance, and thank you for the 4 first rounders, have a great career.

You will find many Leaf fans are sick and ****ing tired of these players bull****.
Would you match 10 X 5 or take the 2 firsts ? I think it's a pretty fair offer for marner / the leafs.

. Not a huge slight when compared to Matthews / nylander . Only half a mill over the 9.5 u want but only five years before he gets a raise / can leave .

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Would you match 10 X 5 or take the 2 firsts ? I think it's a pretty fair offer for marner / the leafs.

Again, I hate the term, but would pay him 9.78-10 M max, but when you look around the league at the top point producers, that is an overpayment, especially as a winger.

I think 9-9.5 x 6 or 7 would be fair, not quite the 8, and gives him UFA a year or two sooner, and would be making as much as a 120 point winger.

The real one I want to see is Rants, that will be an interesting contract comparable.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Again, I hate the term, but would pay him 9.78-10 M max, but when you look around the league at the top point producers, that is an overpayment, especially as a winger.

I think 9-9.5 x 6 or 7 would be fair, not quite the 8, and gives him UFA a year or two sooner, and would be making as much as a 120 point winger.

The real one I want to see is Rants, that will be an interesting contract comparable.
Will suck for you guys if rantanen gets 11 or something if you wait him out . I assume they will want to lock him up for eight years tho.

But you would match an offersheet if it didn't hit the four first threshold ?

I would trade 2 firsts a second and a third for marner all day so I could see the leafs having to beat that

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Will suck for you guys if rantanen gets 11 or something if you wait him out . I assume they will want to lock him up for eight years tho.

But you would match an offersheet if it didn't hit the four first threshold ?

I would trade 2 firsts a second and a third for marner all day so I could see the leafs having to beat that

I think if Rants gets 11, all bets are off. I think his number is going to be huge in the winger market. The only solace being if it is for 8 years, at that point I would beg Marner to sign for 10.5 lol

I am a little old school in the sense that I want to see a full balanced competitive team, and I do have faith in Dubas and co. when it comes to drafting, developing, and signing free wallets, but I also see the importance of having Marner on the team.

But you need to have money for all areas, and not just forwards, so as much as it hurts, I take the picks and move on. You can't win with a money only player anyway, you win with depth up front and on the backend.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol what a terrible trade, especially for the Leafs. Why would they trade for Monahan? In what way would upgrading their 3C make any kind of sense to them?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think if Rants gets 11, all bets are off. I think his number is going to be huge in the winger market. The only solace being if it is for 8 years, at that point I would beg Marner to sign for 10.5 lol

I am a little old school in the sense that I want to see a full balanced competitive team, and I do have faith in Dubas and co. when it comes to drafting, developing, and signing free wallets, but I also see the importance of having Marner on the team.

But you need to have money for all areas, and not just forwards, so as much as it hurts, I take the picks and move on. You can't win with a money only player anyway, you win with depth up front and on the backend.
Idk I think if someone sends you a ten X 5 you have to match pretty much no matter what because it's not enough picks coming your way . Trade him after for a dman if you want.

Then if someone goes into four pick territory it kinda depends on who sends it. If it's a team that will be a contender with him it makes it hard to take four likely garbage picks for him.

While if it's the sens you are laughing .

Reactions: DanM

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kane AAV, huh? Yeah, maybe on a 5-year deal. There's no way he deserves less than Matthews, and Matthews's deal likely is at least 13mil with 8 years of term.

Reactions: sharkhawk

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Listen.... I LOVE Mitch, and want him to be a lifer, but if he won't take less than 11.5, Dubas will not get fired, and Shanny will drive Mitch to the airport.

We cannot have another player making almost 12 million per year, regardless of what he wants.

Mitch is not AM or even JT, he is not a franchise C, and if Matty was healthy, he hits 100 easy without question. Getting Kuch money and slotting in 3rd on the star chart is not bad, and he won't be waiting in food bank lines for food.

Matthews scored at only a 88 point pace, hard to say he'd easily hit 100 if healthy - tons of question marks there.

Marner was the better, more impactful player than either JT or AM this year, so if I'm his agent I don't think he should have to settle because Dubas was overly generous with other guys.

They'd be better off shipping off Nylander for picks and paying Marner what he's due if that meant keeping him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yep. They really screwed up by playing our best player only 18 min with rookies.
I assume matthews is who you are talkin about... you could have played him 35 mins, still would have lost... boston wanted it more

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Amazing how you can go to any leafs thread and every non leafs fan will tell you marner is their best player yet the vast majority of leafs fans (the ones who actually watch the leafs play) will tell you that Matthews is easily their best player.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the doom and gloom scenarios people like to contrive
The same leaf fans that said brown > ritchie and will be a 30 goal scorer.

Marner is the creater and more of what id want in a captain/team leader, id take him over matthews pretty easil.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

You have faith in Dubas and co. :laugh:What a joke. Tavaras 11mil :skeptic:,Matthews,11.5:eek: Nylander 7 mil :facepalm:
And now you expect to low -ball your best player.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Patty Kane signed that contract 5 years ago. I don't know how much exactly the ceiling has gone up since then, but you can't compare the monetary value of a contract dollar for dollar from 5 years ago to now. But even then, Kane makes 10.5, if Marner settles at 10M/8 years, that's a huge win for him. Coming into the NHL, I doubt he expected to make that kind of money, and he's a homer too. An extra mil or so shouldn't stall negotiations too long. He's worth 9-9.5 at max term, IMO.

The whole NHLPA shouldn't be thanking McDavid. Ever since he signed his record-breaking contract, every superstar's negotiation salary range has gone significantly up

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As a Hawk fan I wouldn't mind them offer sheeting Marner at 7 yrs / 11.5M AAV

It would give Hawks a face of franchise for now and longterm and we have the cap room for once to make a big splash (I thought it would be Panarin but it feels like he is safe bet to go to Florida at this point)

Hawks franchise will probably be looking to make statement not only to NHL but to Chicago sports fans/media with cap room this offseason. A guy like Marner would be major statement

Marner + Debrincat and Strome up front with the kids coming down pipeline on D is a good foundation to build on while trying to maximize Kane/Toews remaining prime years

With Crawford off books in summer of 2020 , Saad + Anisimov off books in summer of 2021 and Murphy of books in summer of 2022 the cap shouldn't be issue with regard to extending Strome/Debrincat and opening door for Kids on D to come in

I suspect Seabrook will be bought out at some point in coming years and Keith to retire at end of his deal

On D we should see young D joining clubs in waves

- Joker and possibly Gilbert this coming season as regulars
- Boqvist , Byram (I hope Hawks select him) and Beaudin fighting for spots in camp in Sept 2020
- Krys and Carlsson both in mix in future for roster spots as well
- Forsling (I suspect he is brought back) and Dahlstrom are essentially in get it together or get out phase. Both will be looking to 2019-20 season as make or break for them longterm in Chicago

No one seems to realize Hawks have cap room and have assets if needed to sacrifice for major move this offseason

Last edited:

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland

There is a career 70 points player on the same team who gets 11.5m for his RFA years plus one UFA year. Marner should rightfully ask for at least the same.
Auston Matthews Career Stats

SeasonTeamGPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%FO%
2016-2017TOR82402969214821008127914.346.82
2017-2018TOR623429632512513005218718.254.51
2018-2019TOR68373673-9121220005225114.752.14
Career-2121119420518
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

Well there is this one guy who sits at 27th most points in last 3 seasons (42nd last season, 22nd in PPG) and is going to make over 11M.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
And there is the other guy getting 10 this year for holding out half season and delivering whooping 27 points..

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Oh look it's you again!

Matthews (and JT) play center, and are top 5 goal scorers in the NHL (per game wise).
Marner doesn't play center, is not a goal scorer.

Marner does not deserve the same pay because he does not do the two hardest things for a forward to do.

Chris Johnston told us what Dubas will do. He will give them an offer before July 1st and say this is our offer and if you won't consider it then we have to move on because we cannot pay you this. Marner's agents will likely laugh and try to sign an offer sheet. Marner will need to ask himself if he truly wants to leave because that possibility will become real. I think he "caves" (the offer will be fair but he could get more in an open market obviously) because he wants to be a Leaf.

Wow finally found a poster that sees the light! Don't forget Matthews plays with rookie wingers and multiple wingers during the season. Marner pretty much played with Hyman and Tavares all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad