LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Habs will gladly give your their 4 next 1sts picks in order to secure Marner

TO gets 4X low 1st round picks

MTL gets to see Marner lighting up his previous team

Deal well done!
that’s fine with me, have fun signing Kotka, Domi, Poehling, Suzuki + whoever else you guys draft after giving Marner the $11.5 he wants. All you’re doing at that point is giving yourself the same cap problems the leafs have now in the future...

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Even if you eliminate Matthews and Tavars from the discussion, go do this:

Take Nylanders cap hit and divide it by his 61 points that he has gotten the last 2 years before this farce of a season. Now multiply by Marners 94 points this year.

Over 10.7 million. That should be the absolute minimum the Marner camp should settle for.
So you take two of Nylanders years but one of Marners?

Wonder why.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
how many times can you comment the same thing in the same thread... like you’re not even responding to any comments, you just keep rewording the same statements...

also Mitch is probably the best PLAYMAKER on the team but he is not the best PLAYER on the team, and besides all this, yes the leafs payed their 1C and 2C (who are both 1Cs) a lot of money because they are #1 CENTRES, Marner is a WINGER. 99 Times out of 100 a TRUE #1C is getting paid more than a #1 LW/RW. There’s a reason why trading for a centre is more expensive than trading for a winger, because there are literally HALF as many centres on a team than wingers, so it make sure sense that you would pay your CENTRES more money.

y’all can **** on the leafs as much as you want, but stop comparing him to AM and J.T. because they got CENTRE contracts and are payed CENTRE money.

Does Marner deserve $10M? Sure, but we can only offer him ~$9M, but we can also offer him the opportunity to be one of the biggest sports stars in Toronto History, and if he retires a Leaf that man will never have to pay for anything again in his life, especially if he wins the cup in TO. He will also make more money with his smaller contract + T.O endorsement deals than he will with a slightly bigger contract anywhere else.

If Marner played C then the argument for $11-11.5 would be valid because there aren’t many true 1Cs to go around, but he isn’t a centre so he shouldn’t be paid like one.

IMO the only way the Leafs lose in this situation is if we sign him for ~$11.5M, but there is almost a 0% chance of that happening because we DONT HAVE THE CAP ROOM.

If Marner gets offersheeted, 4 1sts and ~$9M in Cap Space going into what looks like a bountiful Free Agency, which is a win.

If Marner gets traded, Leafs either get a) their desired #1RD+ OR another 90+ point player who is already signed onto a contract, either way, it’s a win.

If Marner signs for ~$9.5M, Leafs get to keep the team together, and grow and prosper while staying under the cap, which again is a win.

All you Leaf haters can keep **********ing, hoping and praying that more bad things happen to the leafs, but in reality it’s nearly impossible we lose in this situation. Do I want Mitchy to retire a Leaf? Yes. Will I be sad to see him go? Very much so. Is it ideal to lose Mitch? Not at all. BUT if he won’t budge from $11.5M, there is nothing that the Leafs can do about that, and if Marner makes that decision himself to make it impossible for the Leafs to keep him, then I will happily help him pack his bags and drive him to the airport and cash in on whatever we get back for him.

/end rant
So Marner should sign for less even though he produces the most... so he can help the team?

Lmao more like /end useless paragraphs

Marner at 9.5 lmfao

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Lol...it was to show Nylander is a 61 point guy. You think Marner and his agent are basing him as anything less than a 94 point guy?

You know better.

Yes because no player ever plays their best in a contract year.

Lol.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There's a huge difference in team culture for Avs and Leafs. Avs best player makes $6.3M until he is already UFA. I don't know if it happens, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rantanen takes a shorter deal worth around that.

Tavares, Matthews etc, they make almost double. As such Leafs pay too much.

It's not possible for one team to pay its' players millions more than what the competition can. The salary cap inhibits it.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Marner should get 11.5...if he was a franchise center who could score goals and is big enough to have longevity in the NHL.

Not a center, -500k
Not big enough, -500k
Not a goal scorer, -500k

Seems like all the non Leaf fans are pulling for Marner to get paid but he is not like the other two Leafs.

9.95 * 8

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
how many times can you comment the same thing in the same thread... like you’re not even responding to any comments, you just keep rewording the same statements...

also Mitch is probably the best PLAYMAKER on the team but he is not the best PLAYER on the team, and besides all this, yes the leafs payed their 1C and 2C (who are both 1Cs) a lot of money because they are #1 CENTRES, Marner is a WINGER. 99 Times out of 100 a TRUE #1C is getting paid more than a #1 LW/RW. There’s a reason why trading for a centre is more expensive than trading for a winger, because there are literally HALF as many centres on a team than wingers, so it make sure sense that you would pay your CENTRES more money.

y’all can **** on the leafs as much as you want, but stop comparing him to AM and J.T. because they got CENTRE contracts and are payed CENTRE money.

Does Marner deserve $10M? Sure, but we can only offer him ~$9M, but we can also offer him the opportunity to be one of the biggest sports stars in Toronto History, and if he retires a Leaf that man will never have to pay for anything again in his life, especially if he wins the cup in TO. He will also make more money with his smaller contract + T.O endorsement deals than he will with a slightly bigger contract anywhere else.

If Marner played C then the argument for $11-11.5 would be valid because there aren’t many true 1Cs to go around, but he isn’t a centre so he shouldn’t be paid like one.

IMO the only way the Leafs lose in this situation is if we sign him for ~$11.5M, but there is almost a 0% chance of that happening because we DONT HAVE THE CAP ROOM.

If Marner gets offersheeted, 4 1sts and ~$9M in Cap Space going into what looks like a bountiful Free Agency, which is a win.

If Marner gets traded, Leafs either get a) their desired #1RD+ OR another 90+ point player who is already signed onto a contract, either way, it’s a win.

If Marner signs for ~$9.5M, Leafs get to keep the team together, and grow and prosper while staying under the cap, which again is a win.

All you Leaf haters can keep **********ing, hoping and praying that more bad things happen to the leafs, but in reality it’s nearly impossible we lose in this situation. Do I want Mitchy to retire a Leaf? Yes. Will I be sad to see him go? Very much so. Is it ideal to lose Mitch? Not at all. BUT if he won’t budge from $11.5M, there is nothing that the Leafs can do about that, and if Marner makes that decision himself to make it impossible for the Leafs to keep him, then I will happily help him pack his bags and drive him to the airport and cash in on whatever we get back for him.

/end rant
1 year ago, a winger was tied at the top for highest paid player. And #4. And tied for 5th. And of the top 16, 7 wingers, 7 C, 1 F, 1D.

Now that has changed, because of McDavid.....and the overpaying of Tavares and Matthews. That's not Marners fault.

And fwiw, I do think Marner gets less than Matthews AND gets more term. THAT'S THE DISCOUNT. 11 million per for 6/7 years.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
1 year ago, a winger was tied at the top for highest paid player. And #4. And tied for 5th. And of the top 16, 7 wingers, 7 C, 1 F, 1D.

Now that has changed, because of McDavid.....and the overpaying of Tavares and Matthews. That's not Marners fault.

And fwiw, I do think Marner gets less than Matthews AND gets more term. THAT'S THE DISCOUNT. 11 million per for 6/7 years.
When Marner wins 3 cups, maybe he gets 11.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I mean that seems like a reasonable stance to take.

He's better than the player the Leafs signed for $11.5M/yr for what should have been a more team friendly term so no, not reasonable at all for the team to start below 10.5M.

Of course this is all a part of negotiation with the team lowballing the player and the player asking for the moon but the Leafs are in for a rude awakening if they think Marner will take a dime less than 10.5M. If it'as a max term deal? Expect McDavid level money.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So you don't think Marner is going to produce like this again? Cool.

I do.
Good still doesn't mean you don't count Marners ~65 point season in your calculation. It's what he's earner over his body of work, just like Nylander.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Marner should get 11.5...if he was a franchise center who could score goals and is big enough to have longevity in the NHL.

Not a center, -500k
Not big enough, -500k
Not a goal scorer, -500k

Seems like all the non Leaf fans are pulling for Marner to get paid but he is not like the other two Leafs.

9.95 * 8
Better defensively, +500k
Kills penalties, +500k
Better playmaker, +500k
More points, +500k

Reactions: Dooble08

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Like Matthews and Tavares 3 cups?

We can do this all day.

YOUR GM created the comparable a Marner and his agent will use. Blame him.
He's not a franchise center.

One was the best UFA of all time.

The other leads the league in Jersey sales.

Marner is none of those things.

Reactions: Big Sugar

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
So Marner should sign for less even though he produces the most... so he can help the team?

Lmao more like /end useless paragraphs

Marner at 9.5 lmfao
... did you read any of it?

if he wants to stay in Toronto he has to sign for 9.5 because the leafs can’t afford anymore

If he wants more, he’s free to go get his money somewhere else

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada

how in the actual f*** can you tell me that the Matthews and Tavares contracts are overpayments and then you think it’s rational that a player who isn’t a centre and is producing at almost the same rate as J.T. and AM should be getting the same if not more...

man arguing with people on HF is like when that one drunk uncle at thanksgiving wants to talk sports after three too many bud lights on the back deck

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Like Matthews and Tavares 3 cups?

We can do this all day.

YOUR GM created the comparable a Marner and his agent will use. Blame him.
yes because let’s ignore all the other comparables for Marner who are getting in the ~$9.5 range and go after one player who doesn’t even play the same game as Marner...

and if that is your logic then I hope a team like MTL never drafts a good goalie because by this logic he will be able to use Price as a comparable

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's not a franchise center.

One was the best UFA of all time.

The other leads the league in Jersey sales.

Marner is none of those things.
He is a franchise winger.
He is from The GTA
He can actually stay healthy
He had a better PPG than 2 guys Dubas paid 11 million to.

Again, pay your star. It's great to have him...and have him happy. Cut from a 3rd liner to get than money. It will be worth it.

This is not a "I want the Leafs to overpay to get into cap hell". Pay your stars, it's never the issue for cap issues. It's the paying of Marleau and Zaitsev. Or like in Chicago paying Seabrook and Kruger.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
how in the actual **** can you tell me that the Matthews and Tavares contracts are overpayments and then you think it’s rational that a player who isn’t a centre and is producing at almost the same rate as J.T. and AM should be getting the same if not more...

man arguing with people on HF is like when that one drunk uncle at thanksgiving wants to talk sports after three too many bud lights on the back deck
Tavares is less of an issue because UFA's are usually overpaid.

Again, I said Marner will get less than Matthews AND will sign for more term. Is that not putting Matthews at a higher value?

Maybe you are drunk so are having issues reading.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
how in the actual **** can you tell me that the Matthews and Tavares contracts are overpayments and then you think it’s rational that a player who isn’t a centre and is producing at almost the same rate as J.T. and AM should be getting the same if not more...

Those deals were overpayment, but because it was the leafs who signed those deals, it's quite rational for Marner to expect to be paid just as well as the two guys he's outperformed.

Marner was the best player on the leafs last year. How is he not justified in being equally overpaid as Matthews?

Reactions: Tripod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad