Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If I have learned one thing on these boards its that if it’s Leafs and Contract related, all of HFBoards become cap-ologists and negotiation insiders.

if Marner wants ~$11M, more power to him, he’s one of the best at what he does and SOMEONE will pay him that

BUT if he wants to stay a Maple Leaf and make more money side hustling brand deals than anywhere else can offer him, he has to take $9.5M, if not, ill take the 4 1sts and ~$10M in Cap Space

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Well, yeah, it's the league-wide glass ceiling for winger contracts. I'm sure Sakic and Cheveldayoff feel the same way about their RFA wingers.
There's a huge difference in team culture for Avs and Leafs. Avs best player makes $6.3M until he is already UFA. I don't know if it happens, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rantanen takes a shorter deal worth around that.

Tavares, Matthews etc, they make almost double. As such Leafs pay too much.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seeing what JT and his best buddy AM make, it would be a smack in the face to Mitch if TO makes a stink and refuses to pay that amount to him

If Leafs easily gave their 1C and 2C that much, how do they argue that their best player Marner gets even a penny less.

Dubas set the level waaaay too high in TO. Just awful

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
When Kane signed, he got 15.22% of the cap that year. Cap is projected to be around 83 millions so a contract below 12.5m (around 15%) is certainly to be expected.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Seeing what JT and his best buddy AM make, it would be a smack in the face to Mitch if TO makes a stink and refuses to pay that amount to him

If Leafs easily gave their 1C and 2C that much, how do they argue that their best player Marner gets even a penny less.

That's certainly arguable.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Kane also you know....won a Stanley Cup. "Settle" for 12 million :laugh:
EXACTLY! Dubas needs to tell him. You can't make that much until you've won a cup just like Tavares, Marleau and Matthews. ... Oh wait!
Marner is the best player on the team. He isn't settling for less than 10.5 and then that won't be for more than 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's fairly funny how the Leafs sign these precedent setting contracts, and then get confused when other players want to be paid on the same scale. I mean, it's not hard for Marner to look at Nylander and Matthews, and figure it out.

The players don't even have to go outside the organization for comparable contracts. Was the assumption that every subsequent contract would be cheaper for some reason?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If I have learned one thing on these boards its that if it’s Leafs and Contract related, all of HFBoards become cap-ologists and negotiation insiders.

if Marner wants ~$11M, more power to him, he’s one of the best at what he does and SOMEONE will pay him that

BUT if he wants to stay a Maple Leaf and make more money side hustling brand deals than anywhere else can offer him, he has to take $9.5M, if not, ill take the 4 1sts and ~$10M in Cap Space
yup its a joke, if we are negotiating a contract 12+, in a trade, a 1st liner and a prospect AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: Big Sugar

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
yup its a joke, if we are negotiating a contract 12+, in a trade, a 1st liner and a prospect AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HFBoards to Leafs Management: HAHA MARNER DESERVES $12M SILLY DUMBAS IS GONNA CRUMBLE LOL STUPID MAPLE LAFFS

HFBoards Offering Marner Proposals: LOL MARNER ISNT GETTING ANYTHING MORE THAN A TOP4 D + MIDDLE PROSPECT LOOK AT THE NUMBERS MAN LOL STUPID MAPLE LAFFS

Leafs Fans: ill just take the 4 1sts... thanks

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Marner is not making less than 10.5, most likely more unless its only a five year deal.

If its 7-8 years its 11+ easily

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
HFBoards to Leafs Management: HAHA MARNER DESERVES $12M SILLY DUMBAS IS GONNA CRUMBLE LOL STUPID MAPLE LAFFS

HFBoards Offering Marner Proposals: LOL MARNER ISNT GETTING ANYTHING MORE THAN A TOP4 D + MIDDLE PROSPECT LOOK AT THE NUMBERS MAN LOL STUPID MAPLE LAFFS

Leafs Fans: ill just take the 4 1sts... thanks

Habs will gladly give your their 4 next 1sts picks in order to secure Marner

TO gets 4X low 1st round picks

MTL gets to see Marner lighting up his previous team

Deal well done!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if you eliminate Matthews and Tavars from the discussion, go do this:

Take Nylanders cap hit and divide it by his 61 points that he has gotten the last 2 years before this farce of a season. Now multiply by Marners 94 points this year.

Over 10.7 million. That should be the absolute minimum the Marner camp should settle for.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada

how many times can you comment the same thing in the same thread... like you’re not even responding to any comments, you just keep rewording the same statements...

also Mitch is probably the best PLAYMAKER on the team but he is not the best PLAYER on the team, and besides all this, yes the leafs payed their 1C and 2C (who are both 1Cs) a lot of money because they are #1 CENTRES, Marner is a WINGER. 99 Times out of 100 a TRUE #1C is getting paid more than a #1 LW/RW. There’s a reason why trading for a centre is more expensive than trading for a winger, because there are literally HALF as many centres on a team than wingers, so it make sure sense that you would pay your CENTRES more money.

y’all can shit on the leafs as much as you want, but stop comparing him to AM and J.T. because they got CENTRE contracts and are payed CENTRE money.

Does Marner deserve $10M? Sure, but we can only offer him ~$9M, but we can also offer him the opportunity to be one of the biggest sports stars in Toronto History, and if he retires a Leaf that man will never have to pay for anything again in his life, especially if he wins the cup in TO. He will also make more money with his smaller contract + T.O endorsement deals than he will with a slightly bigger contract anywhere else.

If Marner played C then the argument for $11-11.5 would be valid because there aren’t many true 1Cs to go around, but he isn’t a centre so he shouldn’t be paid like one.

IMO the only way the Leafs lose in this situation is if we sign him for ~$11.5M, but there is almost a 0% chance of that happening because we DONT HAVE THE CAP ROOM.

If Marner gets offersheeted, 4 1sts and ~$9M in Cap Space going into what looks like a bountiful Free Agency, which is a win.

If Marner gets traded, Leafs either get a) their desired #1RD+ OR another 90+ point player who is already signed onto a contract, either way, it’s a win.

If Marner signs for ~$9.5M, Leafs get to keep the team together, and grow and prosper while staying under the cap, which again is a win.

All you Leaf haters can keep circlejerking, hoping and praying that more bad things happen to the leafs, but in reality it’s nearly impossible we lose in this situation. Do I want Mitchy to retire a Leaf? Yes. Will I be sad to see him go? Very much so. Is it ideal to lose Mitch? Not at all. BUT if he won’t budge from $11.5M, there is nothing that the Leafs can do about that, and if Marner makes that decision himself to make it impossible for the Leafs to keep him, then I will happily help him pack his bags and drive him to the airport and cash in on whatever we get back for him.

/end rant

Reactions: hamzarocks

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Good luck to them with that. They already have 2 guys making more than that, and Marner was better than both of them last year. I doubt he or his agent are going to care what Kane signed for 3-4 years ago. Even if they do, when Kane's contract started, his AAV represented 14.7% of the cap ceiling. Using a projected ceiling of $79.5MM for next season, that's $11.69MM today.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's the fans. ... As a Blackhawk fan I hated the Red Wings, Canucks and Blues. I had to come to HF in 2007 to start hating the Leafs.

Media coverage is also feeding into this. I have heard colour commentary done on other unrelated games stop the call of play to talk about the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad