Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
It’s funny this thread has people saying he isn’t worth that at all yet go to the offer sheet thread and you have so many people offering way higher then the 10.5 mill plus the 4 1st rounders lmao

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Again, after posters after posters told you they did not have their 2020 1st-round pick, you did not have the curiosity to check other sources (including a different page of CapFriendly) ?

That's kind of gross.
We went through this . The sharks can apparently do the 4 firsts if they don't give their first away in 21 for ek. There's a slide rule on two picks in the same round so they can use 21 22 23 and 24 instead of 20 21 22 and 23 as their first round compensation .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If they offersheet Marner on July 1, they need their 2020 first rounder.

They don’t.

So they can’t.

Yes they can. They can use 21, 22, 23, and 24.

You're ridiculous. They dont have their pick! It's not theirs. So no they cant. They would need to acquire their own pick to do it.

So until they have their own pick back. The answer is NO!

Capfriendly is correct. The answer is yes.

I don't need to email anyone to know that you need your own picks to offer sheet players. It's been the same for years. Sharks have the cap space but don't own the picks to make it happen

They have the picks. You were wrong.
You really mean that you can't verify other sources ?

That's lazy.

The source was correct. Claiming that I am lazy when the source was correct is laziness on your part.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except that there should be an asterisk besides the Sharks logo as there is an existing possibility that they might not have their 20121 1st-round pick.

That's not a good reply because you posted 3 times to me, in succession that there was no way the Sharks have the picks. After calling me out for posting unfactual information, you are now trying to save face by claiming there was is an asterisk. Just accept Capfriendly was correct, as they usually are.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You really mean that you can't verify other sources ?

That's lazy.

Of course it's lazy..but he's also correct.

From the CBA (Section 10.4 talks about compensation for offer sheets) itself:

Clubs owing three (3) draft selections in the same round must have them available in the next four (4) drafts, and so on.

When a Club owes two (2) or more draft selections in the same round, the signing Club does not elect the years in which such selections shall be awarded to the Prior Club; rather, the selections next available will be transferred to the Prior Club (i.e., a Club that owes two (2) selections has them available in the next two (2) drafts – that is when they are transferred).

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
That being said San Jose should not be able to sign an offer sheet until the condition on their 2021 draft pick has been settled. If I understand it correctly San Jose has to re-sign Karlsson AND make the Cup final this year. So again I don't think they can sign someone to an offer sheet (assuming they make the Cup final) until Karlsson has signed somewhere else.

EDIT:

Here the conditions: **Conditions: Sens receive Sharks 2021 2nd round pick if Karlsson is re-signed. The selection upgrades to a 2021 1st if Sharks reach the Stanley Cup final in 2019.

Am I interpreting that correct?

Reactions: Menzinger

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So which page is correct? Maybe they didn't update the 'Offer Sheet Calculator'. The Sharks do not currently hold their 2020 1st Round pick, the Sens own it.

San Jose Sharks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The page I posted was correct. I was correct. There was no need to explain. If one knows which sources are reliable. And I said it numerous times today, if Capfriendly is good enough a source for Bob Mckenzie, it should be good enough for posters on HF boards.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The page I posted was correct. I was correct. There was no need to explain. If one knows which sources are reliable. And I said numerous times today, if Capfriendly is good enough a source for Bob Mckenzie, it should be good for posters on HF boards.

Instead of just saying 'I'm right I'm right' You could have at least explained to people that it has to be in the next 5 years instead of the next 4 like most people here obviously assumed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That's not a good reply because you posted 3 times to me, in succession that there was no way the Sharks have the picks. After calling me out for posting unfactual information, you are now trying to save face by claiming there was is an asterisk. Just accept Capfriendly was correct, as they usually are.
:laugh:

You most probably did not know why CapFriendly was right (for the time being), as I strongly suspect you would have been the first to say "Haha, these picks may be spread over 5 years".

Reactions: Loosie

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I undestand that the tax rate for Canadian player is about 14% greater than for Florida state player.
So if Marner makes 11M that's about par with Kucherov 9.5M

What about the marketing opportunities he has in Toronto ? Those easily are worth more than 1.5 mil

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What about the marketing opportunities he has in Toronto ? Those easily are worth more than 1.5 mil

Not to mention living in Canada being paid US dollars gives him close to 12M buying power in Canada on a 9.5M per deal.

Reactions: 4chandler

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm more excited to see what other teams RFA's are gonna make going forward.

I expect Marner at $10.5m minimum and have no problem with that.

Cap is going up big time in the next few years and everyone knows it, thus salaries are rising fast.

Laugh at Dubas all you want, the market is being set and will only get more expensive for top end young guys, just watch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
:laugh:

You most probably did not know why CapFriendly was right (for the time being), as I strongly suspect you would have been the first to say "Haha, these picks may be spread over 5 years".
How hard was it to click offer sheet FAQ on capfriendly? It's right on the link I provided multiple times today when anyone could look it up. If you needed an explanation is it not my job to educate posters like yourself. Read the links I provided. It would have saved you 3 incorrect posts in succession next time.

All I was doing was providing a response to the poster that asked which contender has capspace and picks to offer sheet Marner? SJ Sharks have the picks and the capspace according to Capfriendly. Which was exactly what I posted when I posted this, this morning,, and it was indeed correct

Reactions: McBooya42

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I REALLY doubt the Leafs want another Nylander situation. It was essentially a season wasted. They can't afford to do that with Marner, and I bet he knows that. Hard to see the Leafs being the ones with the upper hand here.

Marner knows they want to avoid a holdout, and he knows 10.500+ isn't unfair as their leading scorer. I don't see why he wouldn't at least hold out until training camp if the Leafs don't budge. Matthews was paid over market value, so it's kinda ridiculous to suggest Marner should take less than (market value).

This again? :laugh:
How did that work out for Matthews? lol

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I REALLY doubt the Leafs want another Nylander situation. It was essentially a season wasted. They can't afford to do that with Marner, and I bet he knows that. Hard to see the Leafs being the ones with the upper hand here.

Marner knows they want to avoid a holdout, and he knows 10.500+ isn't unfair as their leading scorer. I don't see why he wouldn't at least hold out until training camp if the Leafs don't budge. Matthews was paid over market value, so it's kinda ridiculous to suggest Marner should take less than (market value).

This again? :laugh:
How did that work out for Matthews? lol

Except Marner is already in a bunch of commercials. Intact, Visa and Apple.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Except Marner is already in a bunch of commercials. Intact, Visa and Apple.

National deals are big, but they have nothing to do with which team a player plays for. That, and it's usually only for the NHL's most recognizable superstars. Local deals don't really add up to much.

The NHL's Highest-Paid Players 2018-19: Connor McDavid On Top At $19 Million

Carey Price has more than a half-dozen sponsors like CCM, Under Armour and Wrangler. His endorsements are only worth $600,000 and he's a bigger name than Marner.

Visa is a big endorsement. Visa Canada is not (relatively speaking of course).
As I said... Toronto's endorsement deal myth is just that. It doesn't lower salaries and it never will. It surely hasn't convinced anyone to take less money in the past.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You would have to think that if Toronto is going to trade MM, the value would have to be equal or at least close to getting 4 1st round picks as that would it would take to get MM via an offer sheet.

then you guys should hold out for an offer sheet then.

Well, the Marner camp reportedly wanted to sign for 8 million, and the Leafs said no. So obviously they thought he would be cheaper than that.

according to TSN insider Marners family believe he is worth as much as Mathews

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not to mention living in Canada being paid US dollars gives him close to 12M buying power in Canada on a 9.5M per deal.

Lol... Lower value on the Canadian dollar just means shit is more expensive. Who cares if he's getting US money in Canada when he's still paying Canadian rates for goods. He'd pay $4.95 a gallon for gas in Toronto, as opposed to $2.75 a gallon in Denver.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Looking at it, there is not a single comparable to Marner making more than 9.5M.

If someone wants to offer-sheet him and pay him 11+, give us 4 first round picks, so be it.

It'll be incredibly disappointing, but if someone wants to be crazy, then so be it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Looking at it, there is not a single comparable to Marner making more than 9.5M.

If someone wants to offer-sheet him and pay him 11+, give us 4 first round picks, so be it.

It'll be incredibly disappointing, but if someone wants to be crazy, then so be it.

Auston-Matthews-Signs-New-Contract-with-The-Maple-Leafs.jpg

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

com·pa·ra·ble
/ˈkämp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. (of a person or thing) able to be likened to another; similar.

Matthews = Goal Scoring Franchise Center close to p.p.g

Marner = Playmaking Winger closer to .90 ppg

So again, not a comparable.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
com·pa·ra·ble
/ˈkämp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. (of a person or thing) able to be likened to another; similar.

Matthews = Goal Scoring Franchise Center close to p.p.g

Marner = Playmaking Winger closer to .90 ppg

So again, not a comparable.

You've completely exaggerated the difference in Marner and Matthews. They have a .04 PPG difference in scoring, which comes out to 1 extra point for Matthews every 25 games.

Dubas shot himself in the foot by holding out on Nylander and then rolling over and paying him more than he was worth, and it has screwed him in these negotiations. I'd say he screwed himself in the Matthews negotiations as well, but unfortunately Matthews AND Marner are the type of player you have to sign no matter what.

Also, Eichel didn't register a PPG season until this year, and yet he signed a $10M/year deal in 2017.

And four 1st round picks as compensation is only good depending on the team whose picks you're getting. Colorado could easily afford to throw $10.6M at Marner, and four 1sts from them would all be 20+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad